Peds programs in Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cameron

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with the 3 pediatrics programs in Arizona?
The three programs are:

Phoenix Children's Hospital/Maricopa Medical Center Program
St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center Program
University of Arizona Program

I'm a 3rd year planning on going into peds and am starting to compile a list of programs to which I may apply. I've already checked out scutwork.com and unfortunatly they don't have much info on those 3 programs. I have already read about them on FREIDA as well.
If you have any good comments regarding other programs in the Mountain/Pacific region I'd love to hear it as well! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd year in AZ and this is all I know so far. St Joe's doesn't fill with the match each year, but they do fill in the scramble.

St Joe's requires a $75 application fee to apply to do a rotation there unless you're a U of A student.

The combined PCH/Maricopa program only allows you to do 1 rotation there if you are not a U of A student.

My son got all of his well baby/well child/sick child care with U of A residents from the time he was born until he was 3 and a half (He's 6 now). I was always very happy with the residents and liked my interaction with them. I have heard (totally 3rd hand, though, so take with a grain of salt) that the program is pretty malignant and a lot of the residents aren't happy.

I plan on doing rotations at a few of these programs in the next year, so I could give you more info then. Sorry that this is all I can give for now...

PS - I've heard great things about UC Irvine.