Peds programs requiring Chairman's letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of East Coast programs that require a chairman's letter? Thanks much!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that UNC requires a chairman's letter.

Along the same lines, what is a "chairman"? Is that the department head, or can the clerkship director count?

at my institution the chairman's letter restates your evals from your clerkship, is written by the clerkship director and then signed by the chairman of the pediatric department. they have it down pretty pat, and i bet if you ask your clerkship director he will know very well how it is handled

i found out about all this by asking the clerkship director (whom i met with and gave my personal statement and CV to). i dont know who requires it, i know ill get one, and i know a lot of programs that dont care about it here in the midwest. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs I have talked to will also allow you to substitute a Peds Program Director's letter for a chairman's letter if you have worked with a PD face to face. Here is a list I have collected east & west coast (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)

Stanford
UCSF
U Michigan
Wash U St Louis
UNC
Duke
Rainbow Babies - Cleveland
Wisconsin

At my old med school, the chair was not very involved with patient care, residents and the med students (unlike here at MCW), so I really wasnt able to get a letter from him. I did however get a letter stating he doesnt really write letters (and I got him to sign it:D) This seemed acceptable to most programs where I interviewed that required such a letter. I dont know if it would work for others but seemed to be just fine for me.

BTW, i am enjoying my 2nd year at the MCW/Children's Hospital of Wisconsin pediatric residency in Milwaukee. If anyone is interested or has questions, please feel free to PM me

Most programs I have talked to will also allow you to substitute a Peds Program Director's letter for a chairman's letter if you have worked with a PD face to face. Here is a list I have collected east & west coast (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)

Stanford
UCSF
U Michigan
Wash U St Louis
UNC
Duke
Rainbow Babies - Cleveland
Wisconsin

How do you find out if a program even needs a chair letter? If it doesn't say it on FRIEDA or the programs website, should we really e-mail or call them to ask? Because I don't plan on sending the chair letter unless its required.

When you visit each program's website, for example UCSF: http://www.pediatrics.medschool.ucsf.edu/brochure/

Click on "Application process". Each school will have a tab that says "How to Apply" or something of the equivalent. On that page, it will say, usually under the heading "Letters of Recommendation" something about how many LoRs are required. For example,

~We highly recommend that one of these letters be from the Chair of your Department of Pediatrics or the equivalent (the Director of the Pediatric Residency Training Program or the Pediatric Clerkship Director may also write a "departmental letter").~

Some programs will flat out say "We do not require a chairman's letter"

Hope this helps