About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

peer rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Madhatter, Sep 30, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Madhatter

Madhatter Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    hey! does anyone have any ideas on how to begin a peer rec??? i can't seem to think of anything to write....
  2. stoic

stoic best served chilled.

SDN 10+ Year Member
    A peer rec?

Unless the school you're writing it for specifically requires a "peer rec," I would advise whomever you're writing for to find a better LOR source.
  3. Madhatter

Madhatter Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    UF requires a peer rec, does anyone know of any other schools??
  4. phleebie

phleebie $26 in my hand.

SDN 7+ Year Member
    a peer rec? what a joke!
  5. synapse lapse

synapse lapse tokyo robotic Bronze Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I think that you should siply list your interactions with that person and highlight their good qualities. I imagine ya'll are good friends, so that should be easy. Just list their good attributes like integrity, compassion, etc....
  6. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician Air Force SDN 10+ Year Member
    Florida State requires one, too.
  7. Fusion

Fusion Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    As does University of South Florida...so I guess all the state schools in FL ask for a peer rec.
  8. Madhatter

Madhatter Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    WHAT??!! I didn't know FSU and USF required peer recs!!!! can anyone give me more info on this??
  9. dandelion

dandelion Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member

Yup, UF, FSU, USF all require peer recs. Actually, USF requires "two personal letters of character recommendation" from "your family physician, close friend, a neighbor, alumni, or a person who can attest to your interest in Medicine." I'm using the same peer rec for all three schools, & I'm hoping that my volunteer rec will fit into USF's "a person who can attest to your interest in Medicine" category & count as a second letter.
  10. queeneleanor77

queeneleanor77 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I had my best friend that I've known since ninth grade write my peer rec for UF. She wrote about how I've always been interested in medicine and what I did in high school (and since then) to make progress toward that goal. She mentioned personal qualities about me and how they would contribute toward a career in medicine, etc. It was a really nice letter. For USF, I had my boss and a doctor I shadowed write letters - I didn't get to read those so I don't know what they said. I think that anyone who doesn't know you in the classroom setting can only talk about personal qualities that you have that would make you a good physician or skills that are transferable to medicine. Hope that helps.