Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly... we're only joking around (at least I know I am). So :p:p:p!!!

And I don't feel like I am "insulting a school", just having some fun with the other lonely socks out there :D

I guess we should have taken such good-humored, therapeutic venting to a pre-veterinary message board, where it belongs. :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad.

And right after I joined FB at the urging of my new classmates, I posted my first picture of me standing next to a cow from the dairy farm, and got "educated" that I was in violation of Penn's picture posting policy (which I had yet to even be notified of).

I tend to piss people off when I "start" out it seems.

just got my rejection. mrehhhh just before my interview today.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got my rejection. mrehhhh just before my interview today.

Use your anger to ROCK that interview!!!! Don't let it hold you back!!!!

Believe me, it works!!!! :) you'll do great!

I know exactly what I'm talking about; have both friends and family who went through this exact process, and not one of the bunch was as petty as some of you. Of course rejections hurt, and of course you all knew the way Penn does things. It's not "awful," it's how they do it. It's no secret they reject a few right off the bat and the rest at the end of the cycle.

The sense of entitlement to not get your little noses out of joint, well, it's just rather striking, that's all. Been reading this forum for years as family members went through app cycles and this attitude really stood out this year. "Shameful"? "No decency?" Right, but it's not Penn.

My, my, my... Forgive me if some of the persons on this thread have offended you with their joking sarcastic nature in regard to the way that UPenn conducts their admissions process. People get stressed and vent. This is life. Now, since you've always been out the outside looking in, please allow me to take you on a quick tour of the psychological angst that is the Penn process...

There are those interviewed, those denied and then there are the others who are contacted via email in early November... My email pretty much said that I wasn't academically competitive and they probably wouldn't ever look at me; but they were going to wait to see what came through with the interviews. Thus, I was well aware that my application was placed into the box marked 'Only interview if the Mayan Apocalypse comes and a last resort is needed'. However, to be strung along until March was just a little much for me when they've had interviews for months now. I really think this is where the problem lies...

Other schools that take a long time to contact applicants start to contact everyone around the same time. However, Penn starts really early and drags it out for months on end... OUTSTANDING applicants are contacted, interviewed and accepted before the holidays. GREAT candidates are contacted, interviewed and judged by early January. GOOD candidates are then contacted and interviewed in January and February. Sure, everyone knows how it goes. So, naturally, when you know you're in the 'other' pile you have this little tiny shred of hope that you cling to. You don't want to allow yourself, but you do it anyway. Because, maybe, by some miracle, they've simply overlooked you. Maybe they will call. Maybe they will give you the chance. But they don't. Thus, there's some stress that comes with watching a host of others be contacted when you haven't heard anything for months.

The people on this thread meant no disrespect to the institution nor the admissions committee. Rather, they were trying to find a way to deal with a stressful situation. Especially the undergrads who are dealing with so much more than just this process - they're lives are changing every second of every day; and all they want to know is whether it's a yes or a no so they can get on with the rest of the nuttiness in their lives and try to map out a future while attempting to do well with what's left with their coursework and not to sucumbe to 'senioritis'. Everyone's got it hard enough without being scolded. Please kindly take your grinchyness elsewhere. Thank you.

oh my goodness. everyone chill out lol Look, many of us have been part of SDN for years and have been reading SDN for longer. The only reason I mentioned anything was because it did seem more personally aimed at Penn, even when other schools also have a long process. It was becoming negative even compared to other years when people vent. Especially since many people who were ticked off actually had interview invites or acceptances at other schools. I just don't see the reason for such negativity. It is more understandable for people who haven't had as much luck this year.
Some people actually do get accepted "after the interview process is winding down". It isn't like you literally had 0% chance because you didn't hear back til March. Anyone who is hearing about a rejection now should be PROUD. You are a great applicant and made it passed many cycles. Others WERE rejected in Dec/Jan, so you made a cut.
Yes, this is a place to vent. But also, schools DO read these threads. I know for sure of 2 schools who actively read SDN and I'm sure it is probably more like 80% but I don't have personal contacts that spread this far.
SOV- yes I was also contacted about posting the pictures of the Bovine Day. At the time it did annoy me too, but looking back I realize these people were just looking out for us. Posting pics like that from VHUP would be against the Honor Code and you can be taken to the committee for that. Since it is the year 2012 it is something we need to be aware about. It is hard to adjust to this when I've been posting w/e I want on facebook since 2004.
Everyone can vent as much as they want, I just thought it may be nice to educate you that these forums are not private and admissions committees do read them. Ben and Me was also just trying to give everyone a heads up. When I was a pre-vet I had no idea that admissions committees kept up with these forums.

Anyway, this is a stressful time and this can make or break your future. But also remember, if you don't get in this year there are always other years. Keep your head up because only a positive attitude will help you succeed!

My, my, my... Forgive me if some of the persons on this thread have offended you with their joking sarcastic nature in regard to the way that UPenn conducts their admissions process. People get stressed and vent. This is life. Now, since you've always been out the outside looking in, please allow me to take you on a quick tour of the psychological angst that is the Penn process...

There are those interviewed, those denied and then there are the others who are contacted via email in early November... My email pretty much said that I wasn't academically competitive and they probably wouldn't ever look at me; but they were going to wait to see what came through with the interviews. Thus, I was well aware that my application was placed into the box marked 'Only interview if the Mayan Apocalypse comes and a last resort is needed'. However, to be strung along until March was just a little much for me when they've had interviews for months now. I really think this is where the problem lies...

Other schools that take a long time to contact applicants start to contact everyone around the same time. However, Penn starts really early and drags it out for months on end... OUTSTANDING applicants are contacted, interviewed and accepted before the holidays. GREAT candidates are contacted, interviewed and judged by early January. GOOD candidates are then contacted and interviewed in January and February. Sure, everyone knows how it goes. So, naturally, when you know you're in the 'other' pile you have this little tiny shred of hope that you cling to. You don't want to allow yourself, but you do it anyway. Because, maybe, by some miracle, they've simply overlooked you. Maybe they will call. Maybe they will give you the chance. But they don't. Thus, there's some stress that comes with watching a host of others be contacted when you haven't heard anything for months.

The people on this thread meant no disrespect to the institution nor the admissions committee. Rather, they were trying to find a way to deal with a stressful situation. Especially the undergrads who are dealing with so much more than just this process - they're lives are changing every second of every day; and all they want to know is whether it's a yes or a no so they can get on with the rest of the nuttiness in their lives and try to map out a future while attempting to do well with what's left with their coursework and not to sucumbe to 'senioritis'. Everyone's got it hard enough without being scolded. Please kindly take your grinchyness elsewhere. Thank you.

Thank you for stating that so perfectly....

oh my goodness. everyone chill out lol Look, many of us have been part of SDN for years and have been reading SDN for longer. The only reason I mentioned anything was because it did seem more personally aimed at Penn, even when other schools also have a long process. It was becoming negative even compared to other years when people vent. Especially since many people who were ticked off actually had interview invites or acceptances at other schools. I just don't see the reason for such negativity. It is more understandable for people who haven't had as much luck this year.
Some people actually do get accepted "after the interview process is winding down". It isn't like you literally had 0% chance because you didn't hear back til March. Anyone who is hearing about a rejection now should be PROUD. You are a great applicant and made it passed many cycles. Others WERE rejected in Dec/Jan, so you made a cut.
Yes, this is a place to vent. But also, schools DO read these threads. I know for sure of 2 schools who actively read SDN and I'm sure it is probably more like 80% but I don't have personal contacts that spread this far.
SOV- yes I was also contacted about posting the pictures of the Bovine Day. At the time it did annoy me too, but looking back I realize these people were just looking out for us. Posting pics like that from VHUP would be against the Honor Code and you can be taken to the committee for that. Since it is the year 2012 it is something we need to be aware about. It is hard to adjust to this when I've been posting w/e I want on facebook since 2004.
Everyone can vent as much as they want, I just thought it may be nice to educate you that these forums are not private and admissions committees do read them. Ben and Me was also just trying to give everyone a heads up. When I was a pre-vet I had no idea that admissions committees kept up with these forums.

Anyway, this is a stressful time and this can make or break your future. But also remember, if you don't get in this year there are always other years. Keep your head up because only a positive attitude will help you succeed!

Personally, none of my posts were meant towards you. It is completely fair and helpful to remind us all that adcoms can get on here... I think most of us were more frustrated with Angelus9. A random name (whether you were lurking or not) pops in and thinks they have any idea about our little inside joke (that kept many of us halfway SANE through this process) and decided to judge us rather incorrectly based on no knowledge of our last 5 months as lonely socks together... that was my only issue. I get everyone's points, including Angelus9, but it was taken way far out of context, that's all.

Since I have nothing to add to this petty argument that has been beat beyond death. I will just say what my aunt says anytime there is a petty arguement within the family...

"And a Jay-Z song was on, and a Jay-Z song was on!"

Since I have nothing to add to this petty argument that has been beat beyond death. I will just say what my aunt says anytime there is a petty arguement within the family...

"And a Jay-Z song was on, and a Jay-Z song was on!"

:laugh: You're right... this is :beat: AND:diebanana:

Cue song above...:thumbup:

Miley Cyrus always eases the tension.

Like the tiny parachutes flying off a dried dandelion seed head, the cold eastern breath of fate has blown the lonely unmentionables off the line. Thank you for your friendliness and comfort, sock friends. You did, indeed, make this anxious time more bearable and sometimes hilarious.

Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. No me jodes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only person who dances around like a teenager to that Miley Cyrus song? I mean it's just so bumble gum! I love it!!! And no I don't have teenage children.... I downloaded it on iTunes. WITHOUT SHAME!!:laugh:

There is a really awesome video of a bunch of men on fire island that choreographed a bunch of moves to that song.

We used to watch it every morning in anatomy before class started :)

I'm going to stay out of this but I wanted to take a long shot and post my foster bunny's craigslist ad for anyone local and wanting a super cute fuzzy study buddy :) He's the best boy ever and I would love to see him find his forever family <3

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/2881110934.html

So. Freaking. Adorable.

I'll totally come meet him if he hasn't been adopted by the time I get back to Philly in a few weeks. I really miss "my" bunny, but I couldn't justify bringing him back from NZ. Flying is way too stressful for them.

I wanted to take a long shot and post my foster bunny's craigslist ad for anyone local and wanting a super cute fuzzy study buddy :) He's the best boy ever and I would love to see him find his forever family <3

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/2881110934.html

Oh, he's a cutie for sure!! I sadly cannot have a rabbit as a pet due to mild allergies. :( Please keep us updated on his progress. If nothing else, given that I live/work in Philly, I can ask around at work... LOTS of bunny lovers! :xf: He finds a great new home!!

PS - Totally unrelated, but SOV - been meaning to tell you that I love your 'location'... VERY clever and oh so very true!!

So. Freaking. Adorable.

I'll totally come meet him if he hasn't been adopted by the time I get back to Philly in a few weeks. I really miss "my" bunny, but I couldn't justify bringing him back from NZ. Flying is way too stressful for them.

He says thanks :) You can definitely meet him! I'll update if he's been adopted but I haven't had much interest so far. He's SUCH a good boy. He let me put a harness and leash on him today and he got to play in the grass for an hour.

Oh, he's a cutie for sure!! I sadly cannot have a rabbit as a pet due to mild allergies. :( Please keep us updated on his progress. If nothing else, given that I live/work in Philly, I can ask around at work... LOTS of bunny lovers! :xf: He finds a great new home!!

I'll definitely keep everyone updated, and would definitely appreciate you asking around. He's seriously so perfect. I love him so much but I know if I keep him I wouldn't have a free space for fosters.

He says thanks :) You can definitely meet him! I'll update if he's been adopted but I haven't had much interest so far. He's SUCH a good boy. He let me put a harness and leash on him today and he got to play in the grass for an hour.

I'll definitely keep everyone updated, and would definitely appreciate you asking around. He's seriously so perfect. I love him so much but I know if I keep him I wouldn't have a free space for fosters.

No problem! However, I would like to know a couple of things (and if I missed these in the Craigslist post, my apologies)... Litter trained? And how does he get along with others? Also, is it OK for me to simply print out the Craigslist post to show folks? After all, a picture is worth 1000 words; and his little face is worth a billion!

No problem! However, I would like to know a couple of things (and if I missed these in the Craigslist post, my apologies)... Litter trained? And how does he get along with others? Also, is it OK for me to simply print out the Craigslist post to show folks? After all, a picture is worth 1000 words; and his little face is worth a billion!

He is litter trained and super neat with his house. He has only peed outside the box once (on the couch... sigh) but as bunnies go he is really good about it.

He is great with people. My bunnies are both really territorial so I haven't gotten a good idea of how he is with other bunnies.

Please feel free to print out his ad :) Thanks so much for your help.

He is litter trained and super neat with his house. He has only peed outside the box once (on the couch... sigh) but as bunnies go he is really good about it.

He is great with people. My bunnies are both really territorial so I haven't gotten a good idea of how he is with other bunnies.

Please feel free to print out his ad :) Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks! I'll start asking around tomorrow. Will let you know if there are any interested parties. :xf::xf:

Hey yall...I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm turning down my offer at Penn (IS). Hoping it goes to someone on here :)

Hey yall...I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm turning down my offer at Penn (IS). Hoping it goes to someone on here :)

Turning down your IS? Just curious as to why? (I am possibly about to make the same decision).

Turning down your IS? Just curious as to why? (I am possibly about to make the same decision).

Ohio, Illinois, or Auburn.

... I have way too much time on my hands, lol. Shouldn't have quit my job yet!

Ohio, Illinois, or Auburn.

... I have way too much time on my hands, lol. Shouldn't have quit my job yet!

I was confused at first as to why you were answering haha!

I am thinking about choosing Auburn over my IS as well... still not sure yet :scared:

Penn isn't the right fit for me. The professors were cold and uninviting. I went to a high ranked school for undergrad and don't believe that rankings define schools. When I visited Auburn, I felt perfectly at home, as cheesy as that sounds. I love the location, the facilities, the students, and the curriculum. Plus, Penn's IS tuition is relatively similar to Auburn's OOS tuition, and the difference is completely worth the happiness and experience I'll have at Auburn. Come to Auburn! :)

Penn isn't the right fit for me. The professors were cold and uninviting. I went to a high ranked school for undergrad and don't believe that rankings define schools. When I visited Auburn, I felt perfectly at home, as cheesy as that sounds. I love the location, the facilities, the students, and the curriculum. Plus, Penn's IS tuition is relatively similar to Auburn's OOS tuition, and the difference is completely worth the happiness and experience I'll have at Auburn. Come to Auburn! :)

Oh believe me, I want to. It's my first choice for sure, but my IS is about 15K cheaper than Auburn and I am still on Auburn's waitlist, so I have a lot to wait for and think about. I know exactly what you mean about Auburn though. I called my best friend when I was there and said, "this is where I need to be, no doubt in my mind." Not to mention I had 3 professors stop me while I was taking an individual tour and talk to me like I was their buddy or something. I thought it was awesome and I REALLY hope I have the opportunity to attend! Still have to decide on the money part though :(. For the tiny difference in tuition you have, I would definitely attend Auburn. But I'm also a southern girl who worked with 7 Auburn vets so go figure ;)

Oh believe me, I want to. It's my first choice for sure, but my IS is about 15K cheaper than Auburn and I am still on Auburn's waitlist, so I have a lot to wait for and think about. I know exactly what you mean about Auburn though. I called my best friend when I was there and said, "this is where I need to be, no doubt in my mind." Not to mention I had 3 professors stop me while I was taking an individual tour and talk to me like I was their buddy or something. I thought it was awesome and I REALLY hope I have the opportunity to attend! Still have to decide on the money part though :(. For the tiny difference in tuition you have, I would definitely attend Auburn. But I'm also a southern girl who worked with 7 Auburn vets so go figure ;)

Crossing my fingers you get off the waitlist! The professors there are the best, and Auburn makes some of the best and kindest vets out there. It'll be worth the $15k :)

Firm believer in going where you feel comfortable! Because it is your future :) Penn was perfect for me, but isn't for you. It's the beauty of choices. Congrats on making a decision! I think choices make this process so much more difficult. Auburn is a great school and I originally thought I was goin to go there too! Good luck willi :)

Firm believer in going where you feel comfortable! Because it is your future :) Penn was perfect for me, but isn't for you. It's the beauty of choices. Congrats on making a decision! I think choices make this process so much more difficult. Auburn is a great school and I originally thought I was goin to go there too! Good luck willi :)

It makes it easier that there are so few vet schools that all of them are great! The process isn't like applying to med school where there's a huge difference between top 25 and top 50, etc.

I keep flirting with the idea of throwing my US applications to the wind and just moving to Scotland. Edinburgh :love:

Thank you!!

Heya - Just got a 'bite'... One of the gals I work with has two people that may be very interested... One just 'lost' one and they're looking to perhaps get a friend. Also, her mother-in-law is a big bunny fan. She said she'll talk to them tonight or tomorrow. I gave her the ad with the foster group's address, so hopefully you'll hear something!! :xf:

It makes it easier that there are so few vet schools that all of them are great! The process isn't like applying to med school where there's a huge difference between top 25 and top 50, etc.

I keep flirting with the idea of throwing my US applications to the wind and just moving to Scotland. Edinburgh :love:

I know!! I got accepted to RVC and Dublin and I am just twiddling my thumbs and thinking about just picking up and leaving to live in Europe for a few years. No big deal! ;) still get to become a vet AND travel the world.

LMMS you are amazing! I'm going to PM you my email so they can contact me directly if they want to.

I completely agree with you, and thank you! :)

LMMS - since a few people have asked if Twilight is rabbit-friendly I let him meet my neutered male (the one in my avatar) outdoors today. He did pretty well and just ignored him. Of course my guy was an asshat and ran over and bit him at which point Twilight bit him back so I just had them play separately. But I think with a polite rabbit he would be fine.

Just got an invite as an alternate for OOS. Definitely better than a rejection, but definitely not as good as an acceptance! Does anyone know anything about the alternate list (how many on it, how much it moves, if it's ranked)?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this or if it has already been discussed, but does anyone know whether there are places to board your horse near Penn (that don't cost an arm and a leg)?

Just got an invite as an alternate for OOS. Definitely better than a rejection, but definitely not as good as an acceptance! Does anyone know anything about the alternate list (how many on it, how much it moves, if it's ranked)?

Not sure about the OOS list, but I was #2 on the IS list last year. It didn't move at all. I don't know how long it is but when I called to set up a review and asked where I was he told me my position and that I was in a pretty good spot since I wasn't like number 10 or something, which makes me feel like the list is on the shorter side...at least for IS students. I think as an OOS student, there's a greater chance the list will move, but it probably varies year to year. I only wish I had gotten that far this year. I'm still kinda bummed about it and am currently trying to figure out if going to Glasgow is the right move for me. Wishing you luck and hoping you get off the list if Penn is your top choice! It's been mine for a while. =(

Hey Juliadenise - if you'll send me a PM, I'll put you in touch with a few friends that have had horses up here. :)

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this or if it has already been discussed, but does anyone know whether there are places to board your horse near Penn (that don't cost an arm and a leg)?

Define an arm and a leg...

There are some non-show barns for $500-600. Most show barns are more like $900-1000.

I am scheduled to take a lesson at one of the barns by fairmount park, so i can report back on how nice it is if you wish. It is mostly a trail riding barn, but on the cheaper end of boarding.

There are some non-show barns for $500-600. Most show barns are more like $900-1000.

I am scheduled to take a lesson at one of the barns by fairmount park, so i can report back on how nice it is if you wish. It is mostly a trail riding barn, but on the cheaper end of boarding.

That would be awesome if you could!!! Thank you so much :)

I must be really spoiled! I kept my horse all through college at a place that was $325 for a stall with a run, trails, turnouts, and 3 arenas. I guess I'll just need to adjust what I think is reasonable haha. I'm basically just looking for somewhere low-key that I can ride in an arena and hopefully do some trail riding as well.

I'd love to hear your opinion about the barn at Fairmount. Hope you had a great lesson!

Do you mind telling me where you had a lesson? I live in Philly and will be attending Penn this fall :) and I haven't ridden for over a year. I'm dying to get back on a horse but don't have a car so I'm trying to figure something out. If anyone knows of any good places in the area I'd appreciate it!

Bad news: Had to cancel my lesson b/c renting a more new apartment and short on money this month. I was planning to take a lesson at both Courtesy and Northwestern Stables b/c they both had horses for shareboarding. So, I can't report back.... yet?

Good news: Found an awesome apartment in U City and taking Twilight home with me :) (Bunnity's foster rabbit)

Good news: Found an awesome apartment in U City and taking Twilight home with me :) (Bunnity's foster rabbit)

Oh that's GREAT news! I was just logging in to send Bunnity a sad message that the person I was talking with is unable to adopt Twilight at this time. Thus, yay!! So glad the little one has a good home! :D

SnowyRox it was awesome to meet you! I have been so happy all day thinking of my little guy going to his new home :) Nothing beats a foster getting a forever home!

I'm pretty sure the list is ranked. Also, I don't know how much it will move, but I do know it has moved. I just got an acceptance today off of the OOS alternate list. Good luck!! :D

I'm pretty sure the list is ranked. Also, I don't know how much it will move, but I do know it has moved. I just got an acceptance today off of the OOS alternate list. Good luck!! :D

I'm not on the alternate list this year, but was last year. They are ranked and you can call and find out where you are (for those that are still waiting). I'm not sure how long the list is though. Mr. Keiter told me last year that if the list moved at all, they call the others further down the list to let them know about the progress. I was really hoping for that last year since I only need to two people to say no, but things still seem to be working out.

Good luck at Penn! It has a lot to offer!