Penn State Brandywine Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poetheraven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone has applied or been accepted to cohort 8. If anyone is interested in meeting up before classes start, pm me. I'm always looking to meet new people!

For those that have completed the post bacc program, how was your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey just wondering if anyone has applied or been accepted to cohort 8. If anyone is interested in meeting up before classes start, pm me. I'm always looking to meet new people!

Hi, I want to start the two year program in January 2016. I would love to hear from other people about their experiences with the program. Since you are going to start earlier than me, I would appreciate that we could keep in touch!

Marie

Hey Marie,

I'm actually starting the one year accelerated program in January. If you're interested in that program at all, I'd be more than happy to keep in touch with you as I complete the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Marie,

I'm actually starting the one year accelerated program in January. If you're interested in that program at all, I'd be more than happy to keep in touch with you as I complete the year.

Howdy- I will be starting the cohort this year for cohort 8. Is anyone else traveling from out of town?

how is the experience for you currently?
I want to apply for 2016

It's been good so far. It's difficult and demanding, but it really is what you make of it. I'm in the one year program. Our cohort started with around 18 people at the beginning of the year. A couple weeks into Quarter 2 (beginning of April), we were down to 6 people in the one year program - everyone else had either dropped to the two year program or dropped out of the program completely. Like I said, this program is really what you make of it. A good portion of it is learning on your own - there are pre recorded lectures and assigned readings. There are online classes with the professors weekly for each class where everyone can ask questions and review material that they learned throughout the week and the professors will go over problems and potential exam questions. I personally prefer this since it provides me with the flexibility to study around my schedule outside of school. However, if you have difficulty managing your time and learning on your own, you might struggle a bit.

It's been good so far. It's difficult and demanding, but it really is what you make of it. I'm in the one year program. Our cohort started with around 18 people at the beginning of the year. A couple weeks into Quarter 2 (beginning of April), we were down to 6 people in the one year program - everyone else had either dropped to the two year program or dropped out of the program completely. Like I said, this program is really what you make of it. A good portion of it is learning on your own - there are pre recorded lectures and assigned readings. There are online classes with the professors weekly for each class where everyone can ask questions and review material that they learned throughout the week and the professors will go over problems and potential exam questions. I personally prefer this since it provides me with the flexibility to study around my schedule outside of school. However, if you have difficulty managing your time and learning on your own, you might struggle a bit.

First, I just want to clarify a few things:
the pre recorded lectures are outside of the online weekly review sessions? Two separate entities correct?

Is it the same type of "learning on your own" that you would have in undergrad? Say, I went to lecture 2-3 times a week in a standard undergrad setting and went home to study on my own. Would it be the same type of deal but this program has those lectures online?

@poetheraven I recently had a downward trend in grades with a spotty GPA record. Would I need to do extra stuff to go into a postbacc premed program? I currently have a nonscience degree.

Last edited:
First, I just want to clarify a few things:
the pre recorded lectures are outside of the online weekly review sessions? Two separate entities correct?

Is it the same type of "learning on your own" that you would have in undergrad? Say, I went to lecture 2-3 times a week in a standard undergrad setting and went home to study on my own. Would it be the same type of deal but this program has those lectures online?

Yes, you're correct in all of that, but the studying will be a little harder since you're moving at a quicker pace than undergrad.

@poetheraven I recently had a downward trend in grades with a spotty GPA record. Would I need to do extra stuff to go into a postbacc premed program? I currently have a nonscience degree.

Unfortunately, that's not really something I can answer for you. It might be worth reaching out to Margie - she's the director of the program.