Penn State vs RWJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kwf8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been accepted at both Penn State and RWJMS and am trying to gather as much info as possible before I make a decision. I'm from Lancaster, PA so I've spent a TON of time in Hershey so I already know what it's like, but if anyone could tell me more about Piscataway? Like the night life and access to NYC? Also since I'm from Lancaster I've been ingrained with this idea that Hershey is this amazing hospital but I don't have any idea how the hospitals RWJMS is associated with are regarded.

They both end up being about the same cost for me, but is the cost of living way more in Piscataway??

Also if any current students from either school have any insight or want to explain why they chose their respective school I would be so grateful. At RWJ a lot of the students said that the free ipad and the pass/fail grading system was why they chose it. I know Penn State is five point pass/fail system but doesn't that actually just work out to be grades with different labels?

I know the most common advice on these are go with your gut, but my gut has checked out for the moment and isn't being very helpful so literally any tidbit about the schools would be great!! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's important to have a good support system in med school. If your friends and family live right by Penn State it would probably be easier for you to adjust to such a big change. Another thing to consider is what residency you might end up choosing, and see if either school has a residency program in that specialty. It makes for an easier time making connections and getting good letter of recommendation. I wouldn't worry too much about preclinical grades.

Thanks! It's slightly complicated because my family just moved to NJ so they're pretty close to RWJ but my friends and what I'm familiar with is Hershey/Lancaster haha. Of course it's never easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is cheaper? Which has more elective time during the third and fourth year? Only things that matter, tbh.

Which is cheaper? Which has more elective time during the third and fourth year? Only things that matter, tbh.

How much elective time would you consider "average" and how much is a "good" amount, relatively speaking?

How much elective time would you consider "average" and how much is a "good" amount, relatively speaking?

I don't know about "average", but having the ability to explore multiple (>2) specialties that aren't the "core" rotations (IM, peds, psych, family, gen surg, obgyn) during the third year is, in my mind, ideal.

Not having the ability to rotate through a field for multiple weeks puts you at a significant disadvantage when making decision about what field to pursue. Shadowing doesn't always give an adequate picture of what a field is like. You wanna be there at 3am when that nosebleed/penile fracture/loss of Doppler-able pulse/compartment syndrome/whatever comes in to REALLY see what the field (and your potential future career) will ultimately be like.

I speak mostly for people considering surgical fields, as there are so many avenues in surgery to take that it's nice to explore them and see what you like.