People making me feel stupid for the wrong reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HooliganSnail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been on the job for two weeks now, and it has been a huge change.

I can't help but notice that almost all the issues that everyone treats you like an idiot intern over have nothing to do with actual medicine or your plan of care. They almost all have to do with not understanding the system.

I don't know how to order certain drugs, or tests, or imaging. I don't really understand the computer system. I don't know how to complete a transfer of a psychiatric patient. I don't know where certain forms are, or that certain forms even need signing, etc, etc, etc......

Example: I just found out today about EKG forms that have to be filled out by a physician when an EKG is done. It's not that I didn't interpret the EKG correctly, it's that I didn't fill out the form which I did not know existed.

It's like I know what I want to do, but I have no idea how to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bud. Just hang in there. As you encounter all the new protocols and systems the hospital has in place, you will start remembering them more and more and will gain some intuition about what needs to be done. I'm sorry that you're being made to feel bad about it though - in this case, it's just a right of of passage among your co-residents. Just hang in there, and you'll be a pro at all this stuff before you know it. Your seniors should try and remember that they had to go through the difficult transition period as well...

Reactions: 1 user
Just chalk it up to experience, you'll come out stronger.

It's always stuff like that that people make you feel stupid over. In the UK we move specialties and sometimes hospitals every few months for the first few years and every time you move you get this kind of nonsense. The nurses look at you like you are an idiot for not knowing exactly where everything is and how everything works on the ward completely ignoring the fact that it's your first day and they've been there 10 years. I once got incredibly annoyed by this, 1 very young nurse basically told me a few years ago that I needed to read more as I didn't know how to work their specific brand of a piece of equipment, a piece of equipment that as a doctor I never need to touch! I nearly ranted that at least I knew what it actually did, the physiology etc and I didn't need to know how to do her job too, but... I didn't.