People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

the 75 score is percentile not percentage.
So the other members are saying that if u score around 240 questions right then u r bound to get 75 percentile.
But there is no proof that the 240 right answers will surely pass you in the exam! am taking it tomorrow am scared!

the 75 score is percentile not percentage.
So the other members are saying that if u score around 240 questions right then u r bound to get 75 percentile.
But there is no proof that the 240 right answers will surely pass you in the exam! am taking it tomorrow am scared!

Thanks for your answer Dhaval! Wish you all the best in the exam tmr!

Good good good. Dahaval39
Here's my advice. The most important for the exam is the last 3 days. You need peace and quite environment to review not to study!
It means you already understand most of materials. Believe me everything is there in your mind and answers will come up at the time of reading the questions & Good luck!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my advice. The most important for the exam is the last 3 days. You need peace and quite environment to review not to study!
It means you already understand most of materials. Believe me everything is there in your mind and answers will come up at the time of reading the questions & Good luck!!

I just gave my exam today and guys trust me it was one of the toughest exam i had ever given. Dental decks only 50%.. asda papers 5% rest all was out of the world. The exam had 80 questions on testlets and were very very tough. Guys you need to do more than decks and papers and first aid to assure of passing. i am keeping my fingers crossed!

can u please stress more on that, what do u mean out of the world,wat else would u suggest u would read, which other books u refer, im scared now.please reply soon.

I just gave my exam today and guys trust me it was one of the toughest exam i had ever given. Dental decks only 50%.. asda papers 5% rest all was out of the world. The exam had 80 questions on testlets and were very very tough. Guys you need to do more than decks and papers and first aid to assure of passing. i am keeping my fingers crossed!

can u please stress more on that, what do u mean out of the world,wat else would u suggest u would read, which other books u refer, im scared now.please reply soon.

Gave my nbde 1 before 2 days it was very tough!

can u please stress more on that,wat else was on exam, im reading post of the recent students who have given the exam , everyone is writing exam was heard -that makes me scared.

hey pinkmind, can u please suggest the prep material u used for exam.im following first aid, decks, and asda only.is there anything else u suggest

hey pinkmind, can u please suggest the prep material u used for exam.im following first aid, decks, and asda only.is there anything else u suggest

I would suggest you to do more testlet type of questions... i did decks asda and first aid.. but for bio chem you need somethin more.. kaplan, decks are not enough.. also they will ask you vague questions on immunity.. plus 2 options are very very close!! and old asda papers hardly 5 percent was repeated and the level was way too high then the asda papers!

Best of luck!

Hey!

I am giving my nbde on 27th.. can u pls tell me in detail how the questions were?? any repeats from the old papers? remembered questions? Are decks enough? Pls let me know asap!
Thanks

Dhaval

hello Dhaval,
how did ur exam go ? I am taking it next month and freaking out ! guide please !

Members don't see this ad :)
hello Dhaval,
how did ur exam go ? I am taking it next month and freaking out ! guide please !

Hi!

I would suggest you to do read the basics first. i mean histology textbooks. dental anatomy textbooks. and for bio chemistry i seriously dont know. there are many questions on DA so try scoring it in that section. testlets they can ask you anything. be it medicine or surgery! depends on ur luck!

hey ,
all those recent test takers please do let us know how the exam is?.. is it difficult or closer to asda?.. were there any repeats, my prep is OK and im planning to sit this month. please do let me know.. my biochem is weak but now im just doing asda as i dont have time for it. im reviewing what i already know.. please do let me know how the recent exam is.. i do know the basics. im fine with any other subject except biochem. help me out i heard dental anatomy section is more and its make it or break it thing. is it really so?. kindly reply. thanks

hey dental stud,

The exam is pretty tough not like the asda papers. they are very easy. ya a lot of questions on DA know ur occlusion well! so dont rely on asda papers scores keep on studying hard!
Good luck

Dhaval

^so are decks and first aid enuff to pass? i m going to sit this month...any useful tips?

its a gamble coz my exam had 50 percent decks and 5 to 10 percent questions on released papers... testlets are pretty difficult and there were around 80 questions on testlets

Hi everyone,

After studying for like about 4 months, I was kind of surprised the day of the test. All questions were mixed and most of them were biochem/physiology and DA. I got like 3 repeats of old ASDA papers, some things I've never heard of, and about 100 testlet questions...

I also got questions from decks and first aid. Kaplan was very extensive and was kind of a waste of time to read since it is a book more oriented towards physicians than dentists and a lot of the questions asked are not in the big fat book... but the videos helped though; I also thought the qBank testlets were much easier than the actual exam. I also took crack the NBDE and I thought it was easier than the real test.

Needless to say, there is not much outside anymore to study from as they are making this test harder.

Do you know how long does it take to get the results???? I really don't want to take it again :confused:

It takes about 2-3 weeks to get it in the mail if you are within the states. Me and everyone else I know in my class who has taken it so far felt like total crap after walking out on test day so don't worry.

Hi everyone,

After studying for like about 4 months, I was kind of surprised the day of the test. All questions were mixed and most of them were biochem/physiology and DA. I got like 3 repeats of old ASDA papers, some things I've never heard of, and about 100 testlet questions...

I also got questions from decks and first aid. Kaplan was very extensive and was kind of a waste of time to read since it is a book more oriented towards physicians than dentists and a lot of the questions asked are not in the big fat book... but the videos helped though; I also thought the qBank testlets were much easier than the actual exam. I also took crack the NBDE and I thought it was easier than the real test.
CAN U PLEASE TELL IF QUESTIONS WERE MORE CONCEPT ORIENTED,??DO WE NEED TO PREPARE FROM THE SYLAABUS BOOKS LIKE-DA-ORBANS , HISTOLOGY.??

Can u please tell if questions were more concept oriented,??do we need to prepare from the sylaabus books like-da-orbans , histology.??

I got little histology. Mostly physiology and biochem. One thing that bothered me was that in the Kaplan videos, one of the biochem lecturers said which enzymes were tested in boards and were important, I memorized those and they asked different ones... In bother words, things are changing. These questions weren't that conceptual straight but more clinically oriented, so you really have to know stuff very well and think more towards cause-effect...

Was physio biochem even more than dental anatomy and occlusion? And what about testlets? How are they? More dental oriented or focused on physio biochem?

I got little histology. Mostly physiology and biochem. One thing that bothered me was that in the Kaplan videos, one of the biochem lecturers said which enzymes were tested in boards and were important, I memorized those and they asked different ones... In bother words, things are changing. These questions weren't that conceptual straight but more clinically oriented, so you really have to know stuff very well and think more towards cause-effect...

S i am not the few out of many who think the exam was tough! I gave my exams 2 weeks back and most of the questions were full of concepts and the options are pretty close too! just hoping for the best!

Biochem/physiology definitely more than DA. I will say 50% biochem/physiology, 40% DA and 10% the rest.. 100 test let questions approx

S i am not the few out of many who think the exam was tough! I gave my exams 2 weeks back and most of the questions were full of concepts and the options are pretty close too! just hoping for the best!

So you should be getting your results very soon, please let us know how it went...

I took the exam earlier this month. It was tough, but the questions are not as tough as those in First Aid QandA and Mosby Review, yet more difficult than those in the decks. Dental anatomy seems to have a heavy proportion among the questions and I felt as if I met DA questions from time to time.

About the testlets, there are ard 80 in total, and they are quite clinically oriented. I was asked about sialoliths, TMJ pain, and so on. But as long as you have a good knowledge foundation, they shouldn't be too much trouble.

hi guys!
taking the test in a couple of weeks!
does anyone have the ASDA test N? bc i only have A thru M
also, can the people who took the test in the last couple of months remember a few questions to help the rest of us?
THANK YOU! God bless you all and good luck with your exams!

:love:

Hi
Thanks for the information

i am taking my exam at May :scared:

1- what is the testlets ? are they oral questions or powerpoint slides?
2- where can i find released test questions ?
3- what is ASDA ? i keep seeing this i dunno what it stands for if any one could help
4- also did any one find kaplan dentessentials useful? everyone is saying kaplan is a waste of time is that dentessential ?
5- did ANYONE find mosby useful ?

thanks and good luck to all

i am taking my exam at May :scared:

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU TO READ THE NBDE I GUIDE FROM THE ADA WEBSITE. EVERYTHING IS EXPLAINED THERE.

1- what is the testlets ? are they oral questions or powerpoint slides?
READ THE GUIDE

2- where can i find released test questions ?
ASDA

3- what is ASDA ? i keep seeing this i dunno what it stands for if any one could help
ASDA: AMERICAN STUDENT DENTAL ASSOCIATION

4- also did any one find kaplan dentessentials useful? everyone is saying kaplan is a waste of time is that dentessential ?
KAPLAN IS EXTENSIVE, THE FULL COURSE INCLUDES VIDEOS, THE KAPLAN LECTURE NOTES BOOK AND THE KAPLAN DENTESSENTIALS. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF THE BASIC SCIENCES AND UP TO WHAT EXTENT YOU WANT TO REVIEW.

5- did ANYONE find mosby useful ?
I CANNOT TELL, I DIDN'T STUDY FROM IT.

BEST OF LUCK.

Hello, I m new to the site. Can anyone please guide me where everybody is getting the study materials from?
I m trying to Private Message few people around. But I want to know where to get Decks 2012-2013 and ASDA papers and Kaplan lecture notes.
Thank you and god bless.

Hello everyone,
I have been asking everyone here about their exams and everyone really helped and I appreciate it. Thank u all. and now its my turn to contribute to it.
I took my exam yesterday, sorry I wasn't able to write this all yesterday.
I studied but in intervals, as in not in a continuous three straight months because i don't have that kind of a temperament, so i studied for this last 3 weeks continuous. I was left with a lot of reviewing tho till the end but here is my experience: EXAM was equally balanced in terms of difficulty. I found the exam to be relatively easy not just because the exam itself was easy, its here on the forums that the exam is tough and i expected way beyond that. Its tricky and as long as you have done your decks thoroughly and first aid i'm sure u will ace it. Nothing was out of course except some genetic stuff that were hardly one or two questions. Questions were similar to ASDA. No case scenarios apart from testlets. I just had 7 TESTLETS. and they were easy, dentally related but some medical stuff incorporated and also some ethical stuff. BUT the subjects weren't equally divided. Mine was ~65% i can bet on it was only dental anatomy and occlusion. every second or third question was DA and Occlusion. Lots and lots of questions on TMJ and its ligaments, nerve and blood supply. It was tough. Know your occlusion WELL and the other major portion was of anatomy around 15% and all were mostly related to head and neck. 2 or 4 questions on limbs and abdomen combined. i was asked micro a few questions. and i also had 15 repeats atleast. The remaining were path and physio and biochem. I just had basic biochem. I will say occlusion was tough. real tough but other subjects were basic. i screwed up big time and im just praying that i pass. i wish i would have revised my occlusion. i thought my DA was strong but i screwed up. Morpho was crazy! they asked us to compare different teeth at different intervals and age groups blah blah. My advise will be to do morpho really really well also. know each and every single aspect from every angle. I really hope I pass. Over all the exam was a good one. Do not freak out. They were simple and to the point answers but tricky ones and a few had very close options and yea a few were like WTH.. lol and a few were like are u serious? could it be this easy?..haha but over all a good exam. If I God forbid dont pass it will be entirely my fault. the test was easy. i knew it but it was all jumbled up.
IN SHORT: OCCLUSION OCCLUSION AND DENTAL ANATOMY IN AND OUT!! cover to cover. i did kaplan and decks for DA the rest i did decks. i also did first AID on the last day for just anatomy review and to my surprise the notes on the sides in first aid are the questions on the exam. Over all it was a good exam, tricky , tough, easy all balanced. do not freak out. you get one hour break in between relax and eat thats all. if u all need to ask me anything ask here. ill reply as soon as i can. Good Luck to you all!

thank u so much for the post...
I am taking my exam in may..
I am scared , as I saw everywhere that exam is tough..
how many times did u revise ??
in the three weeks u read desk and asda as u said..like how many ques a day???

Hello everyone,
I have been asking everyone here about their exams and everyone really helped and I appreciate it. Thank u all. and now its my turn to contribute to it.
I studied but in intervals, as in not in a continuous three straight months because i don't have that kind of a temperament, so i studied for this last 3 weeks continuous. I was left with a lot of reviewing tho till the end but here is my experience: EXAM was equally balanced in terms of difficulty. I found the exam to be relatively easy not just because the exam itself was easy, its here on the forums that the exam is tough and i expected way beyond that. Its tricky and as long as you have done your decks thoroughly and first aid i'm sure u will ace it. Nothing was out of course except some genetic stuff that were hardly one or two questions. Questions were similar to ASDA. No case scenarios apart from testlets. I just had 7 TESTLETS. and they were easy, dentally related but some medical stuff incorporated and also some ethical stuff. BUT the subjects weren't equally divided. Mine was ~65% i can bet on it was only dental anatomy and occlusion. every second or third question was DA and Occlusion. Lots and lots of questions on TMJ and its ligaments, nerve and blood supply. It was tough. Know your occlusion WELL and the other major portion was of anatomy around 15% and all were mostly related to head and neck. 2 or 4 questions on limbs and abdomen combined. i was asked micro a few questions. and i also had 15 repeats atleast. The remaining were path and physio and biochem. I just had basic biochem. I will say occlusion was tough. real tough but other subjects were basic. i screwed up big time and im just praying that i pass. i wish i would have revised my occlusion. i thought my DA was strong but i screwed up. Morpho was crazy! they asked us to compare different teeth at different intervals and age groups blah blah. My advise will be to do morpho really really well also. know each and every single aspect from every angle. I really hope I pass. Over all the exam was a good one. Do not freak out. They were simple and to the point answers but tricky ones and a few had very close options and yea a few were like WTH.. lol and a few were like are u serious? could it be this easy?..haha but over all a good exam. If I God forbid dont pass it will be entirely my fault. the test was easy. i knew it but it was all jumbled up.
IN SHORT: OCCLUSION OCCLUSION AND DENTAL ANATOMY IN AND OUT!! cover to cover. i did kaplan and decks for DA the rest i did decks. i also did first AID on the last day for just anatomy review and to my surprise the notes on the sides in first aid are the questions on the exam. Over all it was a good exam, tricky , tough, easy all balanced. do not freak out. you get one hour break in between relax and eat thats all. if u all need to ask me anything ask here. ill reply as soon as i can. Good Luck to you all!

and yea good luck for the result...thanks once again for sharing..it is so useful..

i'm getting 62 -64 % raw score in crack the nbde.. is it enough to pass the exam??? also if crack the nbde tougher or easier than the real exam!!!! plz help

Hello everyone,
hi dentstud..
i'm scoring 64- 65% in asda papers(raw score).. do i need to prepare more or is that enough to pass.. really tensed!!! n good luck for ur results..

Hey,
Thanks that was really helpful. M appearing next month. apart from decks, first aid and Kaplan, what else to study OCCLUSION, TMJ from? And do I hv right understanding abt TESTLETS, if I say. they are questions based on clinical cases? And if yes, how many of them they ask and are they intermingled??
Hope to get a reply soon and GUD LUCK for ur results!!!!

well to be honest, as i said i didn't get much time to revise. i did decks only once and reviews around 75% the next time. and i did ASDA E, F, G, H, M, N, after i panicked and started with the latest ones cuz of no time. but if u ask me u should know asda in and out aswell.. do not memorize but know the concepts related to it.
i do not know anything about crack the nbde and im really sorry i cant help u out but all i know is that u shud score atleast abput 85 on each subject or maybe more. 65 is low.
and about TESTLETS yes they are clinically oriented but very obvious. there were different cases. i got around 8 testlets on my exams. all cases were patienst coming into the dental office and complaining about: xyz whatever the case is. in these questions they will ask u about they metabolic diseases like in case of diabetes, if its dry mouth then related to it and all. but also they'll ask u ethical questions like what the doctor shud do in such and such situation. and physio or antomy along with it like the dry mouth, pain sensations of mouth. there were alot of questions on pain fibers and all aswell. the nuclei and all. if ur doing or reviewing first aid its in a tabulated form. so easy to review. dont forget to read the side notes. there were questions ditto from the decks aswell. so in the last few days i skimmed through alot of the pages but i wasnt able to complete the whole of the syllabus twice. about Occlusion. u can use okeson for tmj and occlusion. u do not have to read anything except the first 6 chapters i guess. i was told to do the same but i didnt and im regretting it. if u have time go for it because dental anatomy/occlusion is judged heavily. know all subjects well but DA/OCC should be strong and on our finger tips. biochem is very basic. know the basics and cycles and u score just like that. dont forget to do those perikymata, enamel spindles stuff from kaplan. very imp. easy scores. dont stress out. stressing out is the key. u wont get long long scenerios that u wouldnt understand. very simple ASDA style questions. with more than 4 options at times. so just simple pick on one. they actually ask questions like e.g let say wee have a question in asda which glands are mucus glands so the options in exam are like parotid and palatine, parotid and vonebner, palatine and sublingual, palatine and submandibular. meaning they will have more than two options. not one.they dont just point out one. so its the easier one that i gave an example of but on exam they will judge u on these kind of pattersn fro alot of things like enzymes and all nerves and nuclei and all.
so the thing is thourough study is what u need not memorization. if u have a month ill say its more than enough for a review.
i hope it helps. still if u all have any other qustions do ask. im here to help!!

well to be honest, as i said i didn't get much time to revise. i did decks only once and reviews around 75% the next time. and i did ASDA E, F, G, H, M, N, after i panicked and started with the latest ones cuz of no time. but if u ask me u should know asda in and out aswell.. do not memorize but know the concepts related to it.
i do not know anything about crack the nbde and im really sorry i cant help u out but all i know is that u shud score atleast abput 85 on each subject or maybe more. 65 is low.
and about TESTLETS yes they are clinically oriented but very obvious. there were different cases. i got around 8 testlets on my exams. all cases were patienst coming into the dental office and complaining about: xyz whatever the case is. in these questions they will ask u about they metabolic diseases like in case of diabetes, if its dry mouth then related to it and all. but also they'll ask u ethical questions like what the doctor shud do in such and such situation. and physio or antomy along with it like the dry mouth, pain sensations of mouth. there were alot of questions on pain fibers and all aswell. the nuclei and all. if ur doing or reviewing first aid its in a tabulated form. so easy to review. dont forget to read the side notes. there were questions ditto from the decks aswell. so in the last few days i skimmed through alot of the pages but i wasnt able to complete the whole of the syllabus twice. about Occlusion. u can use okeson for tmj and occlusion. u do not have to read anything except the first 6 chapters i guess. i was told to do the same but i didnt and im regretting it. if u have time go for it because dental anatomy/occlusion is judged heavily. know all subjects well but DA/OCC should be strong and on our finger tips. biochem is very basic. know the basics and cycles and u score just like that. dont forget to do those perikymata, enamel spindles stuff from kaplan. very imp. easy scores. dont stress out. stressing out is the key. u wont get long long scenerios that u wouldnt understand. very simple ASDA style questions. with more than 4 options at times. so just simple pick on one. they actually ask questions like e.g let say wee have a question in asda which glands are mucus glands so the options in exam are like parotid and palatine, parotid and vonebner, palatine and sublingual, palatine and submandibular. meaning they will have more than two options. not one.they dont just point out one. so its the easier one that i gave an example of but on exam they will judge u on these kind of pattersn fro alot of things like enzymes and all nerves and nuclei and all.
so the thing is thourough study is what u need not memorization. if u have a month ill say its more than enough for a review.
i hope it helps. still if u all have any other qustions do ask. im here to help!!

Thank you for ur help...ll keep u posed..