Pepperdine PsyD vs Alliant CSPP PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pepperdine PsyD vs Alliant CSPP PhD

• Pepperdine PsyD

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Alliant CSPP PhD

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

AnniM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pepperdine PsyD (West LA campus) vs Alliant CSPP PhD (Los Angeles campus)
Which one would you choose if you wanted to be involved both in clinical work as well as in research and publishing?
Pepperdine has better reputation, at the same time their program is PsyD only...

Thanks,
Annie

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search. All of these schools have a plethora of threads on here already.

I did not find any exact comparision on that particular pair. I am not looking for more info on these schools, I just want to know what people would pick - that's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pepperdine PsyD (West LA campus) vs Alliant CSPP PhD (Los Angeles campus)
Which one would you choose if you wanted to be involved both in clinical work as well as in research and publishing?
Pepperdine has better reputation, at the same time their program is PsyD only...

Thanks,
Annie

Avoid Alliant LA. If you are independently wealthy, than perhaps go to the SD or SF campus where the programs are stronger.

I like Pepperdine as a whole, but you should think about the ridiculous price....even more than Alliant.

I'd definitely think Pepperdine over Alliant (despite it being a PsyD, it has a far better rep in general and more resources), but I doubt either of them will set you up very well for research.

I'd definitely think Pepperdine over Alliant (despite it being a PsyD, it has a far better rep in general and more resources), but I doubt either of them will set you up very well for research.

I'd try googling for Pepperdine PsyD alums--I've found a few in research positions and/or with research-heavy CVs.

Do a search. All of these schools have a plethora of threads on here already.

T4C, you're right about Alliant, but unless I've bungled it with the search function (certainly possible), I really don't think there's much of substance on these forums about Pepperdine's PsyD program.

T4C, you're right about Alliant, but unless I've bungled it with the search function (certainly possible), I really don't think there's much of substance on these forums about Pepperdine's PsyD program.

Here are some threads to check out:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4

Etc.

Some are a mix of programs, but some good info.

Don't you guys think this is a tad anecdotal?- the issue of some Psy.Ds from Pepperdine doing research.

There are far more PhDs from Alliant that end up as fairly successful researchers in many parts of the country than Pepperdine alums.

I'm not saying anyone should choose Alliant; far from it. Let's just use realistic evidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you guys think this is a tad anecdotal?- the issue of some Psy.Ds from Pepperdine doing research.

There are far more PhDs from Alliant that end up as fairly successful researchers in many parts of the country than Pepperdine alums.

I'm not saying anyone should choose Alliant; far from it. Let's just use realistic evidence.

Oh, I wasn't really using it as evidence at all, I just really love her research and I was surprised when I learned that she graduated with a PsyD from Pepperdine, that's all. :)

Maybe its just my area, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a single paper I've come across by an Alliant grad (and only very rarely by their faculty members, for that matter), whereas I can think of several from Pepperdine. Though yes, that is anecdotal.

I wouldn't look at the raw numbers though as that isn't informative - the Alliant system is pumping out several times the number of students that Pepperdine does. The broader point is that if someone is planning to have research be a significant part of their career...we are at a "lesser of two evils" scenario. Neither is known for research, neither has a great track record for producing academics (even clinically-focused ones), and they both had very weak records in terms of grants/pubs last I checked (with perhaps the occasional exceptional faculty member they brought in from elsewhere). Regardless of which institution you are looking at, its pretty clear that one is going to have to go above and beyond to try and get decent research training at either of these institutions.

Of course, I also think if one is planning on a research career, one should do everything possible not to have "Alliant" or "Argosy" on one's CV.

Last edited:
Maybe its just my area, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a single paper I've come across by an Alliant grad (and only very rarely by their faculty members, for that matter), whereas I can think of several from Pepperdine. Though yes, that is anecdotal.

I wouldn't look at the raw numbers though as that isn't informative - the Alliant system is pumping out several times the number of students that Pepperdine does. The broader point is that if someone is planning to have research be a significant part of their career...we are at a "lesser of two evils" scenario. Neither is known for research, neither has a great track record for producing academics (even clinically-focused ones), and they both had very weak records in terms of grants/pubs last I checked (with perhaps the occasional exceptional faculty member they brought in from elsewhere). Regardless of which institution you are looking at, its pretty clear that one is going to have to go above and beyond to try and get decent research training at either of these institutions.

Of course, I also think if one is planning on a research career, one should do everything possible not to have "Alliant" or "Argosy" on one's CV.

+1

Academics is a highly competitive area to begin with, no need to place yourself at a significant disadvantage right from the start.

Thank you, everyone. As much as I've understood, neither of the schools is great just for people who want to excel in academic career and in both schools you do have an opportunity to publish if you push hard yourself and look for opportunities. However, Pepperdine's reputation is stronger and less contradictory and they have higher APA match rates. I guess that decides it.

Do you have an offer of acceptance from Pepperdine? As far as I know they have not made any final decisions yet, please correct me if I am wrong as this is important information to have.

You're right, they will do the decision by the April

I work with Dr. Lu an he is an exceptional researcher and clinician. He is definitely Peppereine's rock star as far as research is concerned. IMHO Pepperdine is the better choice.

I have personal knowledge of both schools, and if those are your only two options, go with Pepperdine hands down.

Yea my interview was Feb 13th, and she said will hear by the March 23rd.

Was accepted to pepperdine this morning via phone call.