Per Deim Pain Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to do a little side work for a friend. He is an ortho who wants me to handle some blocks and basic stuff for him. Since he is a friend I likely won't have to cover any overhead and some of the infrastructure is already there but I am wondering what to ask for pay wise. I will likely be doing just a day a week.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an opportunity to do a little side work for a friend. He is an ortho who wants me to handle some blocks and basic stuff for him. Since he is a friend I likely won't have to cover any overhead and some of the infrastructure is already there but I am wondering what to ask for pay wise. I will likely be doing just a day a week.
You only have to figure out what it's worth to YOU. It totally depends on where you are in your life/career. Are you ok giving up a day and dealing with the stress for 800/day? 1k/week = 50k/year pre tax = 30k/year after taxes. Do you need the money? For me, 2k is a good number.

Members don't see this ad :)
You only have to figure out what it's worth to YOU. It totally depends on where you are in your life/career. Are you ok giving up a day and dealing with the stress for 800/day? 1k/week = 50k/year pre tax = 30k/year after taxes. Do you need the money? For me, 2k is a good number.

I figure it this way. If I tell him 2K per day then I likely cover my pay in half the day, maybe less. I would like to do it 3x per month. I am ok doing that.

Make sure that you don't just set a flat rate. If you do that, you will incentivize your friend to overwhelm you with work. Instead $2k is your minimum for the first x pts, with $y for every patient above x.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agree that you should set a minimum per diem rate for a certain number and then each procedure over that you get incentivized. I did this, I was paid a flat rate up to 15 procedures and then a set amount for each procedure over 15 each day. You get paid the same for cervical rfas and lumbar esis despite the difference in time and risk but that was ok with me. Also make sure your friend will cover adequate malpractice for you.

Reactions: 1 user
RF, stim trials, & discos should count as 2 procedures