Per Diem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistermike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there... I have a quick question. I will be attending nursing school next fall, so I am new to all of this nursing jargon. When there is a position that is advertised as per diem, what does that exactly mean?

Members don't see this ad.

This means "as needed". I was a per diem phlebotomist for two years while I went to school. In my case it was a non benifited position (but the pay was higher as a result) and the only way to get hours was to sign up for the left over needed positions and take sick calls from other benifited employees. It is great if you want to go to school, want more money or just more flexability in your work schedule.

I would advise against it if you like a set schedule and a standard pay check... depending on the quality of needed positions left over you may be working nights, weekends and holidays...

hope that helps ;)

Allied health professionals who have full time jobs often use per diem to earn extra cash. When I had a full time job at the VA, I used to work occaisional Saturdays at a private rehab hospital for $35/hr. Nursing per diem pay is probably higher than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Related to this, (I think), what does it mean when it says "Locum tenens"
Thanx

That was really helpful. Thank you

As a per diem nurse on a med/surg floor, my wife makes $40.00/hour. She works when she wants. Not too bad........looks like I should have been a nurse instead of a doctor - DAMN!