Perceptual Ability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go2dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I am studying " Perceptual Ability " questions. From yesterday only I started to study this section. I am finding these questions extremely hard.:( Did anyone else also face this problem in the begning. Would I improve with practice and time? Please help me how can I improve myself.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This section you either get straightaway or you need to work at it.
Go get Barron's DAT. It has a really nice PAT section.
Just keep doing practice problems and develop a method for each section.

This section you either get straightaway or you need to work at it.
Go get Barron's DAT. It has a really nice PAT section.
Just keep doing practice problems and develop a method for each section.

Thanks for reply.
Right now, I am doing this section from Kaplan BB, but I will get Barrons also. I hope I will improve my Perceptual ability.
As you said "develop a method for each section" , I will try to work on this but does any book explains these methods also.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I did first, was I did all the KBB practice,

then I bought the 10 test version of the CDP, and did 1 test every 4-5 days. I started off with 17 (on test 1) and did only the first 8 tests, towards the end I was getting 19 to 20. On the real DAT I got 20

I remember the FIRST time I ever looked at the Percep stuff was like back in 2007, It FREAKED ME out the first time, esspecially the TFE, I think I did some practice online (forgot what free test it was) and I remember I got all 15 wrong :eek:. Then I left it alone, I figured why worry about it then when my DAT isn't gonna happen till 2009. But I believe what helped my imagination get better was Orgo I class remember steriochemistry, and being able to rotate molecules in your head? I think that gave me an edge in being able to look at things in my head.

There is one thing you need to underestand about the PAT, you don't have to master ALL 6 sections to score well on it. You can suck at a few sections but rock the others. Because the reality is, the hole punch and the cube counting on the real DAT are FREAKING EASY compared to most other practice sources out there, you should easily get 13 to 14 questions right on each one of those sections.

Keep one thing in mind, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SUCK AT PAT the first time you do it, the more you practice, the better you will get. In my opinion, ANYONE in this world can improve thier score by 4 to 5 points from the first time they try it. So if the first time ever you took it you got a 14 or 15, with practice, you can bring it up to a 18-20 score.

What I did first, was I did all the KBB practice,

then I bought the 10 test version of the CDP, and did 1 test every 4-5 days. I started off with 17 (on test 1) and did only the first 8 tests, towards the end I was getting 19 to 20. On the real DAT I got 20

I remember the FIRST time I ever looked at the Percep stuff was like back in 2007, It FREAKED ME out the first time, esspecially the TFE, I think I did some practice online (forgot what free test it was) and I remember I got all 15 wrong :eek:. Then I left it alone, I figured why worry about it then when my DAT isn't gonna happen till 2009. But I believe what helped my imagination get better was Orgo I class remember steriochemistry, and being able to rotate molecules in your head? I think that gave me an edge in being able to look at things in my hea

There is one thing you need to underestand about the PAT, you don't have to master ALL 6 sections to score well on it. You can suck at a few sections but rock the others. Because the reality is, the hole punch and the cube counting on the real DAT are FREAKING EASY compared to most other practice sources out there, you should easily get 13 to 14 questions right on each one of those sections.

Keep one thing in mind, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SUCK AT PAT the first time you do it, the more you practice, the better you will get. In my opinion, ANYONE in this world can improve thier score by 4 to 5 points from the first time they try it. So if the first time ever you took it you got a 14 or 15, with practice, you can bring it up to a 18-20 score.

Thanks Dentalworks. Your openion/advice is a great help for me.
I am planning to take DAT in Feb. 2010, can I improve by that time?

Thanks Dentalworks. Your openion/advice is a great help for me.
I am planning to take DAT in Feb. 2010, can I improve by that time?

Hell yes,

Read my resonse to this thread, it explains how I did my study plan, it actually worked out perfectly for me, and I am 100% sure it will work for anyone else

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=675995

I would start doing CDP around mid to late december, follow my plan (if you like it) every 4-5 days, you should complete all 10 by end of january, by that time, I'll sure you'll also do topscore, those are 3 additional tests.

My advice to you is, get the 10 test version of CDP, the one that also has like 2500 cube counting / 2500 hole punche / and 2500 angle ranking questions as extras, if you can master those 3 sections and still suck at the other 3 remaining, you should be able to knock down a 19

Hell yes,

Read my resonse to this thread, it explains how I did my study plan, it actually worked out perfectly for me, and I am 100% sure it will work for anyone else

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=675995

I would start doing CDP around mid to late december, follow my plan (if you like it) every 4-5 days, you should complete all 10 by end of january, by that time, I'll sure you'll also do topscore, those are 3 additional tests.

My advice to you is, get the 10 test version of CDP, the one that also has like 2500 cube counting / 2500 hole punche / and 2500 angle ranking questions as extras, if you can master those 3 sections and still suck at the other 3 remaining, you should be able to knock down a 19

I read your posting in that thread. Wow, dentalworks it seems a nice plan.
Thanks again for guiding me and boosting my confidence.:)

Last edited:
Get CDP. I approached it one subject at a time. I practiced with angles until I was getting 14/15. I practiced with hole punching until I was getting 14/15. Etc, Etc, Etc. It seems hard at first but after awhile it gets easier and kind of fun. Once I felt good about all the sections I took my first full length PAT test (without worrying too much about the timing) and ended up scoring a 20. Now I can focus more on speed. Just put some time into it and develop your own strategy.

Get CDP. I approached it one subject at a time. I practiced with angles until I was getting 14/15. I practiced with hole punching until I was getting 14/15. Etc, Etc, Etc. It seems hard at first but after awhile it gets easier and kind of fun. Once I felt good about all the sections I took my first full length PAT test (without worrying too much about the timing) and ended up scoring a 20. Now I can focus more on speed. Just put some time into it and develop your own strategy.

Thanks Timwately, this helps a lot.
One more question, you want to say when I start doing CDP I should not worry about time initially and once when I start understanding questions I can increase my speed?