Performing Extractions with Opposite Hand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staystrong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title.

I'm heading off to dental school in the fall and I'm worried about extractions and the pressure/forces they can put on your wrist. I had surgery on my dominant side's wrist 4 years ago and can use it perfectly fine for most activities in life. I'm just a little worried about performing extractions with it due to hand position, rotating, and direction of force needed when doing extractions.

Since I'm not actually in dental school at this moment I was wondering if anyone has experience with doing dental work with their dominant hand and then switching to their non-dominant hand when it comes time to do extractions? I don't know how happy faculty will be about my desire to do that.

The only issue I can see here is having to move your chair and your assistants chair and the tools may be on the wrong side. But then again, after numbing up extractions don't use many tools other than forceps and suction so I don't know how big of a deal it would be.

I know it may not be a big deal but it would be helpful to get some reassurance. I even thought about just starting from day 1 as trying to learn everything left handed but that seems excessive.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are fine for most activities, you are fine. You cut the teeth in pieces for difficult extractions and others pop out easily with good technique. Besides, you should refer more difficult cases to an oral surgeon anyway.