Perio vs OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been trying to decide which specialty i should pursue. I have read all the threads regarding which one but I feel like it turns into a debate over who is better.

Things about me.

I am very interested in perio because of the surgical aspect as well as the esthetics aspect of it. I like that its small surgeries and not huge and invasive surgeries.

I am very interested in OMFS also because of the surgeries. I really the idea and all of the components of OMFS. HOWEVER I am not sure if I can hack the 80+ hours a week of residency. I would like to have a family soon.

Anyone help me out with some of the pros and cons of it?
Also I am an international student attending a US dental school.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just watch. Nuff said

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do oral surgery, then there will be a lot of sacrifices. Surgery is a very time consuming career, and if you have any doubt in your mind that you would rather do something else, then don't do surgery.

Plus, you have to study for that beast of an exam (NBME CBSE) if you wanna apply to oral surgery.

From everything you've posted, all signs point towards perio. 9 to 5, simple surgeries , wanting to start a family soon etc. You have more time to pursue other hobbies and interests too. With surgery, you won't really have that opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright. Thanks.

I'm not sure why people on here seem to think that OMFS and Perios can't get along.

I feel that both specialties can work together for sure.

Now as a perio when do you start "stepping" on oral surgeons? When you decide that you want to deal with trauma and third molar extractions? I have no intentions on doing that but is that even allowed for perios to do?

There does seem to be some bad blood between perio and oral surgery... their residents at my school always seem to be in a pissing contest. Is that just due to superiority complexes or what?

The lines are blurred between the specialties in regards to placing implants, I don't know how much this could contribute to any bad blood.

Simple surgeries, having a family soon and not so stressful residency = Periodontics! Goodluck :)

Alright. Thanks.
Now as a perio when do you start "stepping" on oral surgeons? When you decide that you want to deal with trauma and third molar extractions? I have no intentions on doing that but is that even allowed for perios to do?

can you clarify what you mean by "trauma"?

if we're talking tooth luxation/avulsion/etc, to me there is more overlap between endo and OMFS more so than perio (though really any GP should be able to treat that).

if "trauma" is anything beyond that, perio has no business in managing such issues

how about extractions, do perios do extractions including third molars?

6 letters on why not to be a periodontist. NUP and NUG. Disgusting.

If you want to do oral surgery, then there will be a lot of sacrifices. Surgery is a very time consuming career, and if you have any doubt in your mind that you would rather do something else, then don't do surgery.

Plus, you have to study for that beast of an exam (NBME CBSE) if you wanna apply to oral surgery.

From everything you've posted, all signs point towards perio. 9 to 5, simple surgeries , wanting to start a family soon etc. You have more time to pursue other hobbies and interests too. With surgery, you won't really have that opportunity.
Hello, I have equal amount of passion for both perio and surgery. So, isit safe to express my passion this way in a residency interview or I should pledge my loyalty to the department I am being interviewed at ?
Thank you.

Hello, I have equal amount of passion for both perio and surgery. So, isit safe to express my passion this way in a residency interview or I should pledge my loyalty to the department I am being interviewed at ?
Thank you.

They are totally different specialties, experiences, careers, and what you learn. If you interview for OMFS, please don't mention of the slightest possibility of perio because hygiene and OMFS are just different. I wouldn't tell Perio you're thinking of OMFS either because they won't think your serious about the gingiva.

6 letters on why not to be a periodontist. NUP and NUG. Disgusting.
I totally agree with you. However, it seems like the majority of patients that truly need perio treatment are either noncompliant or can't afford it. The private practice periodontists I have spoken to do very little sc/rp or osseous surgeries. Mostly esthetic crown lengthenings, esthetic gingivectomy or APF, and a ton of implants.

They are totally different specialties, experiences, careers, and what you learn. If you interview for OMFS, please don't mention of the slightest possibility of perio because hygiene and OMFS are just different. I wouldn't tell Perio you're thinking of OMFS either because they won't think your serious about the gingiva.
True. But I did do observerships at both perio and surgery departments of the same school. So, how should I go about it in the interview? Also, I have cleared NBDE 1, CBSE with an average score and am studying for part 2. With these stats, can I aim for preliminary internships in OMFS programs?

Thank you

Whats a CBSE average score? The national average is 54, below what you'd want to apply with if possible. Internships are not that difficult to land so as long as you contact programs early on you should have no problem lining one up.

Last edited:
Whats a CBSE average score? The national average is 54, below what you'd want to apply with if possible. Internships are not that difficult to land so as long as you contact programs early on you should have no problem lining one up.
By average score I meant that my score is not that extra ordinary. I am confused since I am a foreign trained dentist and I was wondering how can I make my profile competitive enough to land a prelim omfs internship..... be it anywhere. Please check your inbox aswell.

Thank you.