Periodicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelintoes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to find a good medical journal to get into. The big three I see so far are JAMA, New England Journal of Medicine, and the Lancet. Which would you recommend? Any student rates? I've tried their podcasts, but they are quite dry.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Forget those; everyone knows that to get into a good medical school you need to be on Oprah.

EDIT: wow, haha, I thought you meant a good journal to get published in. I'm like man, this dude is setting his sights pretty damn high.

Do you want to read articles for fun? Or is it because you're involved in research? If it's the latter, ask your PI and labmates what journals tend to be highly looked at in the field you're conducting research in.

Honestly, unless you're immersed in the field of the studies you're reading, you're not going to get much out of the original research articles. At the very best, maybe you'll get something out of the broad review articles.

The problem with reading research articles is that unless you're using that knowledge on a regular basis, you will most likely forget whatever it is you read. So unless you're involved in the field you're reading about, my recommendation is not to waste your time. If you absolutely have to read scholarly material (and I have no idea why you'd have such an urge), maybe read a chapter or two of a basic/introductory textbook regarding the topic.

TLDR version: Don't waste time reading research articles unless you're involved in that particular field. If you're not putting the knowledge to use on a regular basis, there's a very strong chance you'll forget it.