Permanent license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organdonor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just renewed my temporary license as I am about to start my PGY-2.

Some moonlighting opportunities require us to have a permanent license. Does anyone care to share what it takes for a US grad to gain permanent license? (transcripts, money, time?) Or does it vary wildly from state to state?

Members don't see this ad.

I just renewed my temporary license as I am about to start my PGY-2.

Some moonlighting opportunities require us to have a permanent license. Does anyone care to share what it takes for a US grad to gain permanent license? (transcripts, money, time?) Or does it vary wildly from state to state?
Varies from state to state, but most require you to do the FCVS application so I would start there.

Varies from state to state, but most require you to do the FCVS application so I would start there.

I agree, FCVS is a total pain but once it's done, then all you have to do is send the verified application to the state medical board you want and that saves a HUGE amount of time.

It does vary from state to state. It has taken me anywhere from 4 weeks to 10 months to get a license.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've submitted everything to SC BME for my permanent license. Submitted FCVS in early April...still in process. It takes MONTHS to get everything done but once it's done as I understand it the process moves quickly. I think for me the process is more complicated than for most residents as I have 15 years of PA practice and licenses in four different states to verify, but I think I'm on the home stretch now. I agree FCVS is a bitch but once it's done, it's done, and the process for obtaining subsequent state licenses is supposed to be much easier.
One thing I've learned over years of applying for and maintaining licensure: keep digital copies of EVERYTHING. The entire process is so much easier when you have an easily accessed copy to reference when completing yet another form. Keep it backed up and regularly update your CV (I update mine on average every 6 mos, or every time I do something new that's worth noting).
Start now...good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ok I should add: FCVS alone is $495. For me there were lots of little fees (Georgia charges $50 to verify I had a PA license there...whereas Oregon charges $15, etc.) The actual application costs a lot of money too (I think several hundred? My program paid this directly) and all of my costs were reimbursed by my program which pushes us to get permanent licenses as soon as we're eligible. We can't moonlight anywhere without a permanent license but I wanted mine anyway so I can finally feel comfortable retiring my PA license.

I've submitted everything to SC BME for my permanent license. Submitted FCVS in early April...still in process. It takes MONTHS to get everything done but once it's done as I understand it the process moves quickly. I think for me the process is more complicated than for most residents as I have 15 years of PA practice and licenses in four different states to verify, but I think I'm on the home stretch now. I agree FCVS is a bitch but once it's done, it's done, and the process for obtaining subsequent state licenses is supposed to be much easier.
One thing I've learned over years of applying for and maintaining licensure: keep digital copies of EVERYTHING. The entire process is so much easier when you have an easily accessed copy to reference when completing yet another form. Keep it backed up and regularly update your CV (I update mine on average every 6 mos, or every time I do something new that's worth noting).
Start now...good luck!

You're correct, once the board has the FCVS stuff and your paper application it does move pretty quick. Honestly, the rate limiting step is the in-person meeting with a board member.

Reactions: 1 user
Start now...good luck!

I will add to this: I have EVERTHING from my diplomas to patient logs to immunizations to driver's license, social security card, intern cert, undergrad diploma, residency cert, etc. scanned onto my computer. Not only to you have to have this info accessible for licensing, but also for credentialling when you do take ANY permanent or locum job and will have to be able to sent it quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It is state dependent on what is required. There are websites listing requirements for each state.

NY State for american citizens of american med schools require 1 year residency + USMLE 3 to be done.