Permanent Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDontKnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applicants who are permanent residents are they at a certain disadvantage when applying for medical schools? Also, any permanent residents who've been accepted over the past year, any feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

No... you're treated as an american. Some schools ask that you bring proof of residency (i.e. green card) with your or send them a copy. But I've forgotten every single time and they haven't bothered with it.

Oh ya, I got accepted in two schools..

Bless america.. ha ha:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure as a permanent resident, you don't get any disadavantage. You're treated the same as anyone else. Now if you were an illegal alien, that's probably different.

My boyfriend who is in med school now is a permanent resident, so there are definitely permanent residents in med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
For medschool admissions, permanent resident = citizen
Same for financial aid, loans etc.

I'm a PR, and I just got accepted today.

You're in no disadvantage whatsoever, as far as I know.

Yep, you are treated equally except some schools may want a copy of your green card.

Being a PR is not a disadvantage in the application process...but with certain scholarships is a different story.

Applicants who are permanent residents are they at a certain disadvantage when applying for medical schools? Also, any permanent residents who've been accepted over the past year, any feedback?
No, but I have two friends who rushed off to get their citizenship before applying becuase they somehow felt that they would be at a disadvantage with a green card.