Persecution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue3485

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have this simple question, hope somebody knows the answer.
I am an IMG who got into a categorical IM residency program, after one month of my starting, the program director called me to her office telling me that I lack clinical experience, so I was like I just graduated and I am coming from a different country and it'll take some time to adjust to the language, to the system and to everything else, after a couple of visits to her office over a period of 3 months, she was like I won't renew your contract and either you resign or I will kick you out and it's better for you to resign.
Now after 2 years from that day, I knew from an attending that all of that happened because the PD wanted to bring one of the anesthesiologists daughter to the program because she was doing FM and she wanted to switch to IM and specifically where her mom works.
Since then I haven't been able to secure a spot again and I was wondering if I can apply this coming year without mentioning that I had this year and if it will affect me in the future in case I got in, in case somebody considered this lying no to mention that I had an internship year in the US

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I have this simple question, hope somebody knows the answer.
I am an IMG who got into a categorical IM residency program, after one month of my starting, the program director called me to her office telling me that I lack clinical experience, so I was like I just graduated and I am coming from a different country and it'll take some time to adjust to the language, to the system and to everything else, after a couple of visits to her office over a period of 3 months, she was like I won't renew your contract and either you resign or I will kick you out and it's better for you to resign.

These are all concerns that we hear, unfortunately too often, about FMG trainees. If you come to a US residency and don't have adequate clinical experience, PLUS a significant language barrier, there is a very high risk of running into trouble early in residency.

Most residencies don't have the resources in place to adequately remediate a resident who is significantly "behind" especially from a cultural and language barrier. You can argue that that is unfair, but from the perspective of the program they need all trainees to start at some base level of competence.

Now after 2 years from that day, I knew from an attending that all of that happened because the PD wanted to bring one of the anesthesiologists daughter to the program because she was doing FM and she wanted to switch to IM and specifically where her mom works.

This is speculation. Definitely do not mention this to other programs if you are fortunate enough to get interviews this year. You need to address specifically what your deficiencies were and how you have improved upon them in the meantime if you hope to secure another position.

Since then I haven't been able to secure a spot again and I was wondering if I can apply this coming year without mentioning that I had this year and if it will affect me in the future in case I got in, in case somebody considered this lying no to mention that I had an internship year in the US

No. It would constitute a match violation. If you did this:
(a) your program would likely be able to find out
(b) if they didn't find out and you DID match, they could rescind your spot at any point in the future if they find out subsequently
(c) your license applications require you to disclose all training. If you lie on these forms your license could be revoked, or even if it was not revoked, your program would most definitely find out about it then and this would take you back to (b)

Reactions: 1 user
These are all concerns that we hear, unfortunately too often, about FMG trainees. If you come to a US residency and don't have adequate clinical experience, PLUS a significant language barrier, there is a very high risk of running into trouble early in residency.

Most residencies don't have the resources in place to adequately remediate a resident who is significantly "behind" especially from a cultural and language barrier. You can argue that that is unfair, but from the perspective of the program they need all trainees to start at some base level of competence.

This is speculation. Definitely do not mention this to other programs if you are fortunate enough to get interviews this year. You need to address specifically what your deficiencies were and how you have improved upon them in the meantime if you hope to secure another position.

No. It would constitute a match violation. If you did this:
(a) your program would likely be able to find out
(b) if they didn't find out and you DID match, they could rescind your spot at any point in the future if they find out subsequently
(c) your license applications require you to disclose all training. If you lie on these forms your license could be revoked, or even if it was not revoked, your program would most definitely find out about it then and this would take you back to (b)
I appreciate the answers guys