Persona Statement Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucxc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!
if you have a quick second and have input on personal statements id love your advice! i've gotten conflicting sentiments from people regarding my idea for my personal statement. i spent a lot of time writing a very good statement, however my subject was the issue. i was a track and cross country runner in college and was an ncaa national champion a couple of times and decided to focus my statement on how running and those achievements demonstrate my strengths as an applicant, yada yada yada (its more focused on dentistry but running is the connecting thread, i just described that horribly [too early in the morning], i just don't want to bore ya'll). anywho, i was told by a few people who read it that it was great and a few people said not to write about athletics because admissions staffs frown upon that. does anyone know anything regarding how personal statements that stem from athletics are viewed by admissions? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

*personal statement, ugh still asleep

I would think that if the athletics led you into dentistry or what you learned from athletics will benefit you as a student or dentist, then you can use it as a "link" or introduction. I just wouldn't make it the main subject. As you stated, you did not make it the main theme so that should be o.k.