personal statement advice (worked at the school im applying at)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedude14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked in a lab at a school over the summer and it was great. I'm going to apply to that graduate school but im not sure if i should make my personal statement different from normal because i worked there. i mention in my PS that I worked at this college but do i need to say anything more detailed than that?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked in a lab at a school over the summer and it was great. I'm going to apply to that graduate school but im not sure if i should make my personal statement different from normal because i worked there. i mention in my PS that I worked at this college but do i need to say anything more detailed than that?

thanks!!

I had this same issue with one of the schools I'm applying to. I've worked in two different labs at the school and the two professors I listed as matches are also two of my LOR writers.
My goal was not to highlight that I have worked with them but that through my experiences with them, I am confident they are good matches and we could work well together. I would refer to your experiences with the program, people etc. and these have made you believe the school is a good match.

somedude14: I'm not sure why you would not mention your experience working within that school's system. That's such a plus that others applying to the same program would love to have as a benefit. It demonstrates to some degree that you are "one of them". Since the concept of "fit" between program and applicant is of utmost importance, your presentation of this experience is some sort of evidence arguing in favor of fit between you and the school. Absolutely address it in your SOP, for that school and others too.