Personal statement and HS dropout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfib slim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad student who dropped out of high school over 15 years ago and went back through community college after getting my GED. I was wondering if it would be wise to speak of this in my residency personal statement about overcoming the odds and ending up in the top 5 in my class. Seems like a good story about myself and how I ended up here but not sure how it would be viewed by program directors. My psychiatrist attending had a similar background and said it was viewed favorably for her. I'm applying IM if that makes a difference. Just looking for more opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a high school dropout and I absolutely wrote about it. I was told on every single interview that it was the best personal statement they had ever read. A personal statement is personal. It should convey passion, who you are, where you came from and where you intend to go.

Reactions: 4 users
I wrote about quitting smoking, and my battle with depression. Was told by a PD that was brutal that it was the most honest and relevant PS he had read in a long long time. I feel that as med students we form these barriers about what is appropriate. Just be you! Life experience is a very precious commodity and I would definitely showcase it...

Reactions: 2 users