Personal Statement-Anyone needing help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reading anymore Doc? :D

Second time applying, and I'm not sure what to change from my last PS to make it better this time. I already thought it was perfect last time, guess not :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Reading anymore Doc? :D

Second time applying, and I'm not sure what to change from my last PS to make it better this time. I already thought it was perfect last time, guess not :oops:
Maybe your stats (GPA and DAT score) weren't perfect?

That was the joke. Clearly, any "average" PS will get you into DS with spectacular scores.

However, general consensus is that for re-applicant, you should change up your PS a little and I'm just not sure how to change it. Like you have mentioned, with my below average scores, I'm pretty sure the only thing that GOT me interviews was my PS, LOR, and EC so that means it's decent enough. However, still doesn't change the fact that it will be the same as last years without any editing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Doc, I am applying for the first time, and I need some tough love on my personal statement... Any help is greatly appreciated :)

THank youuu

Doc-

I just PMed you my first draft of my PS. I'm assuming you're still reading them. If not, no big deal. Anyone else out there still looking to read some over, or to have theirs read? PM me if you want me to read yours over as well.

Hi, this is my first time on SDN. Can anyone please direct me to the right place where I can get my personal statement revised. I would very much appreciate any help/feedback. I am also willing to revise other people's personal statements. Thank you in advance.

Hi, this is my first time on SDN. Can anyone please direct me to the right place where I can get my personal statement revised. I would very much appreciate any help/feedback. I am also willing to revise other people's personal statements. Thank you in advance.

Simply send doc toothache a PM with your PS.

Last edited:
First of all, thank you very much for replying. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "PM?" Also, are there any qualifications to be a reviewer? If not, I would love to help edit some personal statements. Let me know once I'm on the list. Thank you again.

First of all, thank you very much for replying. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "PM?" Also, are there any qualifications to be a reviewer? If not, I would love to help edit some personal statements. Let me know once I'm on the list. Thank you again.

PM means private message. Click on a user's name, and a drop down menu will appear with the option to send a private message. If you visit the link I provided, I've also put Send PM links next to each reviewer's name to make it easier. There are no qualifications required, just that you be willing to accept people sending you PMs askin for help, and you doing what you can to help. I'll add you to the list later today, currently without my laptop, too tedious to edit threads with my phone. :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=922242

Last edited:
It appears the link "http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...php?p=12637916" is dead.

I just finished my personal statement am looking for anyone to review my PS. Would anyone able to

provide me the list of people who would review my PS? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
What should your PS focus on. What if you don't have a story about how you had braces as a kid or something? What if you just want to become a dentist because you find it fascinating? I know stories are always the most "catchy," but I was wondering if anyone has applied to dental school with out some grandiose story of why they wanted to become a dentist and what story they told in their statement.

What if you just want to become a dentist because you find it fascinating?

Then you write about this. Tell a story about how you came to this conclusion. If you don't have a story as to how you concluded this, or you don't know why you think it's fascinating, I suggest you start exploring for the answers. Not only should you write about it, but you will be asked in interviews why you want to become a dentist.

There's lots of people on here that are willing to read personal statements who have already been accepted to school (so you don't have to worry about stolen material). If you're applying next cycle, this leaves plenty of time to sit down and start writing up some material. Good luck. :)

Just make sure you take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. I had some feedback on SDN that wasn't feedback at all, while others where critical in a very helpful way and others were just hypercritical. Some were very complimentary and not critical enough. It's really good to get a lot of opinions, that way if something is getting pointed out as good or bad a lot, then you probably know the opinion will apply to most people.

The offer is alive and still kicking. Ms k appears to believe otherwise.

lol attention wh0re. If you asked mods to pin it, I wouldn't have made one.

Are you on life support at this point? jk

lol attention wh0re. If you asked mods to pin it, I wouldn't have made one. Are you on life support at this point? jk
Kahr is a mod and did not pin his. They clearly feel this is not an earth shattering post. Isn't it nice to have a defibrillator a heart beat away?

Hello, first of all, thank you for taking your time to do something like this. Second, is all we have to do PM you our personal statement?

Thank you for your quick reply! I have already sent mine to kitty, and I don't want to be rude and send it to others at the same time.

Hi Doc, Thank you for your offer and time. Do we copy/paste our PS in a PM or is there a way to attach it as a doc file? May I send you two versions?

Hi doc,

I want to double check if this is still active? How soon (within how many days) would I receive feedback if I were to PM you my personal statement.

Thanks

Hi doc,I want to double check if this is still active? How soon (within how many days) would I receive feedback if I were to PM you my personal statement.Thanks

All indications are that it is active. You may get your chance to find out about the turnaround time.

This thread will be active as long as doc has a pulse.

Hey doc toothache, you read my personal statement 3 years ago. However, I didn't get into dental school that cycle. Im applying again this cycle. Could you by chance read my new personal statement? I'll PM you my PS.

btw just letting you know your email ([email protected]) wasn't working, I just tried sending it there and it got kicked back.

Thanks!

Hi doc,

I just pm'd you and just wanted to check if you got it.

Thanks

I'd be willing to give 'em a look too. I personally LOVED writing mine and thought it was the most fun part of the process.
And FYI, I am already accepted and have picked a school and thus will gain no benefit from reading any of your essays. If you'd like to read mine I'd be glad to share, as I'm sure NONE of you would have an at-all-similar PS as me. And forget about us goons on SDN, have some profs read it too. I had most of my LOR profs read it and give me input which was probably the most helpful of all.
Two words of advice tho. BE ORIGINAL!! The PS should be the part of your app that makes you recognizable. The adcom sees 1000's of #'s (GPA + DAT) but a great PS can really get lodged in their head and really give you an edge, as will a stellar interview. I got this right out of the mouth of the chairs of three stellar d-schools that loved my PS, so don't think I'm making this up.
Anyways, good luck with the apps and take my advice, APPLY EARLY. I'd have saved some gray hairs and big cash in deposits had I done that.

Hello, would you mind reading over mine please?

I am currently editing my PSE, I am an avg GPA/DAT student so I don't know how I could write about academic accomplishments. I was thinking of using my experiences at university (varsity sport team, volunteer as a pre-dental, executive on charitable group, and research experience) to tie in how I would be a great candidate for dentistry.

Any pointers?

Hi Dr. Toothache,

Do you still have time for personal statement ? I am a late applicant, so I would be great if you can point our some weaknesses of my PS. Thank you !

Hi!

Are you still reviewing personal statements?

Thank you!

I can critique you Personal Statement. PM me if you still need help.

I'd be willing to give 'em a look too. I personally LOVED writing mine and thought it was the most fun part of the process.
And FYI, I am already accepted and have picked a school and thus will gain no benefit from reading any of your essays. If you'd like to read mine I'd be glad to share, as I'm sure NONE of you would have an at-all-similar PS as me. And forget about us goons on SDN, have some profs read it too. I had most of my LOR profs read it and give me input which was probably the most helpful of all.
Two words of advice tho. BE ORIGINAL!! The PS should be the part of your app that makes you recognizable. The adcom sees 1000's of #'s (GPA + DAT) but a great PS can really get lodged in their head and really give you an edge, as will a stellar interview. I got this right out of the mouth of the chairs of three stellar d-schools that loved my PS, so don't think I'm making this up.
Anyways, good luck with the apps and take my advice, APPLY EARLY. I'd have saved some gray hairs and big cash in deposits had I done that.
Is it ok i can read your personal statement? I really don't know where to start now

Thank you both for offering to read my personal statement. Who should I send a copy to and how would I go about doing that?

Last edited:
Hello, are you still reviewing personal statements?