Personal statement for reapp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annon22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
waitlisted this cycle, planning out a new personal statement for 16-17. Insight or comments as to how to make your essay different from the first time? Should it be a story of this past year and how you have changed and improved? My why medicine story is still the same, not sure how I would go abouts writing a different essay. If I can't is this a reason to wait a year before reapplying?

Members don't see this ad.

What else have you changed. One essay is not the reason you didn't get in. What you have changed will be key for how you change your essay. New volunteer? New work? New research? What has given you a new perspective?

What else have you changed. One essay is not the reason you didn't get in. What you have changed will be key for how you change your essay. New volunteer? New work? New research? What has given you a new perspective?

In my gap year I have been scribing in an ED and volunteering with ESL in my spare time. Unfortunately not much has changed, and I think that my problems this cycle came from applying too late, although you never know. I am not sure what else I would add as I have substantial volunteering, now have substantial clinical and am already published and would rather try another route than retake the mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you gotten feedback from schools? What were your # of apps/II/ waitlists? Don't just reapply willy nilly without KNOWING what you need to fix before you can get accepted. Best way to get an app killed is throw it at them again with no changes most of the time. You need a comprehensive evaluation of what went wrong before you can write a new app ps and hit submit. Sorry that this is probably not the answer you wanted, I promise you this is the truth about getting accepted!!

I was unable to finish all my secondaries, but I finished most of them near the deadline and received two II and 1 WL, 1 hold still. It does seem like most people are already looking to the next cycle, so is this not the norm? If I do wait another year and add some more experiences, I still have the same question. should my personal statement address the reapplication and what changed?

It is smart to be looking ahead at the next cycle. However, nobody can really give you specific advice without knowing what schools think you need to fix. Just generally, if you had any standout experiences in the last year that had an impact on you or affected why you want to be a physician, they may be good to incorporate.

Unfortunately schools may only be able to answer that question, but I will definitely take everyone's advice to mind as I consider and look for opportunities, thanks