Personal Statement for reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdjo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reapplying to derm this fall after matching to PGY-1 only this year. I had a pretty decent application (step scores in 250s and 260s, AOA, 3 publications and a couple of posters, half of which were in derm) and people from my home derm department thought it was just bad luck that I didn't match.

I was wondering what people's opinions are on discussing my status as a reapplicant in my personal statement. One faculty adviser thought that discussing being a reapplicant might show how dedicated to the field I am. Another faculty adviser thought mentioning it in the PS only draws attention to my failure and will make people wonder even more what might be wrong with me. They thought that I should only bring it up if I've made major changes to my application since last cycle (like doing a research year or something).

What say ye? I'm guessing that there's a variety of opinions on the subject, but I'm interested to know if there's any kind of a consensus on mentioning being a reapplicant (especially among faculty members who look at applications), and if anyone has any other thoughts on potential pros and cons of drawing attention to that.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reapplying to derm this fall after matching to PGY-1 only this year. I had a pretty decent application (step scores in 250s and 260s, AOA, 3 publications and a couple of posters, half of which were in derm) and people from my home derm department thought it was just bad luck that I didn't match.

I was wondering what people's opinions are on discussing my status as a reapplicant in my personal statement. One faculty adviser thought that discussing being a reapplicant might show how dedicated to the field I am. Another faculty adviser thought mentioning it in the PS only draws attention to my failure and will make people wonder even more what might be wrong with me. They thought that I should only bring it up if I've made major changes to my application since last cycle (like doing a research year or something).

What say ye? I'm guessing that there's a variety of opinions on the subject, but I'm interested to know if there's any kind of a consensus on mentioning being a reapplicant (especially among faculty members who look at applications), and if anyone has any other thoughts on potential pros and cons of drawing attention to that.

One thing to consider is....did you not match because you (1) didn't get enough interviews? or (2) somehow fell down just low enough on the rank list at enough programs you did interview at and just ended up unlucky. If it's #1, then you really need to think about you can look "better on paper". If it's #2, you'll have to think about ways to utilize interviews and/or connections to ensure you're in a "rank-to-match" spot on at least 1 programs' list at the end of the next cycle.

Anyway, I'd side with not including. All adcoms assume you are dedicated to dermatology -- that's why you're applying to it -- so I don't "re-application" is going to really be perceived as a unique indicator of "dedication". Pointing out you're a re-applicant is only going to draw a reader to that failure/deficit/etc. when you should be drawing them to your strengths (i.e. why will I be an awesome resident and why do you want me in your program?). You can address the whole re-application thing at the interview in-person, but I'd keep it off your PS if you want to get to that point. I saw other re-applicants on the trail and you'll invariably get asked questions like "how many places did you apply to last cycle?" "how many interviewed you?" "what do you think happened?" etc. You just want to ensure you have the opportunity to answer those questions (i.e. an interview invitation).

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd agree with Dral here. Your application profile looks great and you appear to be one of those unlucky few who just slip through the cracks every year. I wouldn't draw any attention to the fact that you are a reapplicant. If it's mentioned during an interview, be sure to have a good response as to why it happened, what you learned from the experience, what keeps you focused on pursuing a career in derm, etc... But no need to highlight that as part of your application with so many other good things on your CV to showcase.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! It sounds like there's a good consensus on not mentioning the reapplication.

One thing to consider is....did you not match because you (1) didn't get enough interviews? or (2) somehow fell down just low enough on the rank list at enough programs you did interview at and just ended up unlucky. If it's #1, then you really need to think about you can look "better on paper". If it's #2, you'll have to think about ways to utilize interviews and/or connections to ensure you're in a "rank-to-match" spot on at least 1 programs' list at the end of the next cycle.

I think it was probably some of #1 and #2, so I'm trying to work on both of those aspects. I got six interviews, so the odds of matching were on my side but not necessarily overwhelmingly so. I also got pretty nervous on my first few interviews and I'm sure I came across as awkward or shy to at least some of my interviewers. We'll see how this year goes...