Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STIFF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my outline of my personal statement ready, but I was wondering whether I should mention that English is not my first language. I escaped from my original country 8 years ago due to persecution by dictator-president, and received asylum here in US. Or is this information irrelevant. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Briefly mention it if it helps explain one of the flaws in your application. But only briefly mention, don't dwell on it.....
Focus on your strengths :)

I have my outline of my personal statement ready, but I was wondering whether I should mention that English is not my first language. I escaped from my original country 8 years ago due to persecution by dictator-president, and received asylum here in US. Or is this information irrelevant. Thanks.

Unless it is related and somehow enhance your statement then I'd avoid writing about it.

Definitely mention it. Your personal statement is just that... What you went through is a big part of you. I wouldn't write too much about it, but definitely mention it. If anything, it'll give you a little something that makes your story unique.