Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predocpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be cheesy to write about an intense code that I was involved in several years ago in the ER in which an infant patient survived against all odds, after being down for a long time? I personally think it was a really defining moment for me, but I'm afraid of how ADCOMs might view it. Would they question if the story was real? I feel like I would be skeptical of stories like this if I were in their shoes.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be cheesy to write about an intense code that I was involved in several years ago in the ER in which an infant patient survived against all odds, after being down for a long time? I personally think it was a really defining moment for me, but I'm afraid of how ADCOMs might view it. Would they question if the story was real? I feel like I would be skeptical of stories like this if I were in their shoes.

I think it may be in how theatrically you present it. Im an RN and my PS will begin with a patient experience that represents my desire for higher scope of practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Just about anything can be written in a good or terrible way. As long as it directly helps answer the question 'Why medicine' and/or 'why now', go ahead and work with it.

When I was starting to write about a personal patient care experience, I was told that it's the details that make it real. I went back and thought about the situation and made a list of those little details that struck me during and after the incident that really brought it back for me. I didn't use all of them in the end product, but that was very helpful in making the writing more solid.

Reactions: 3 users
Just about anything can be written in a good or terrible way. As long as it directly helps answer the question 'Why medicine' and/or 'why now', go ahead and work with it.

When I was starting to write about a personal patient care experience, I was told that it's the details that make it real. I went back and thought about the situation and made a list of those little details that struck me during and after the incident that really brought it back for me. I didn't use all of them in the end product, but that was very helpful in making the writing more solid.

That's a cool idea, thanks! I'll give that a try.