personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mawgs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be uncouth to discuss my vet and I making the decision to euthanize my dog in my essay? It's the event in my life that made me realize that I could, in fact, handle euthenesia and that I really did/do want to be a vet but my prevet advisor said to avoid talking about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be uncouth to discuss my vet and I making the decision to euthanize my dog in my essay? It's the event in my life that made me realize that I could, in fact, handle euthenesia and that I really did/do want to be a vet but my prevet advisor said to avoid talking about it.
I talked about finding a dead dog that was HBC and consoling the owner in my PS and talked about how I knew vet med was the right fit because of empathy and compassion. I think you could weave that experience into a very poignant reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Throwing out some fancy words lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard to avoid stories about your own pets because adcoms read a LOT of those, so that might be why your advisor said that. However that's more of a guideline than an absolute, I think if it's well-written it's fine.

I've heard to avoid stories about your own pets because adcoms read a LOT of those, so that might be why your advisor said that. However that's more of a guideline than an absolute, I think if it's well-written it's fine.

Sometimes that's unavoidable though. A family pet with a joint disease and the team of vets that treated her was the reason I decided this field was for me. I think if you make it weave into your personal story and still manage to sell yourself on why your capable, it's a fine thing to do. But that's what makes it a guidline as you said. Yeah, sure they see a lot of those stories, but did the applicant use it to their advantage?

I mentioned my guinea pig and her end of life situation, but I honestly can't remember how I went about it. I think it could be a decent story depending on your wording, but be careful not to accidentally put yourself in the "I can be a vet because euthanasia didn't scare me away" box with how you write it. There's a lot more to it, as I'm sure you know. Based on your post about it, you could easily give off a bad impression. Get a lot of proofreaders (although you should do that anyways) and make sure everything comes off as you intend it to.

Reactions: 1 users
My very first PS draft was about my poor dead dog, and how I watched helplessly as she got run over. So I don't recommend that. Hahahahaha.

My third personal statement was about how our puppy dying of kidney failure brought me back to vet med after being wait listed twice and deciding whether or not I was going to give it another go. Like others have said, you have to make the story unique to you. All of us have had dead pets (most likely multiple), so the fact you worked through a dying pet isn't what was unique.

Reactions: 2 users
I talked about bubble wrap in my PS. As long as you answer the prompt, go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my gosh, I don't know how AdComs read so many dead pet stories. It's got to get a little depressing after a while. I wrote about ape pee. No idea how that got me in.