Personal Statement Readers 2014?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Adding my name to the list. I looked at quite a few personal statements last year. I work semi full-time and am taking two online classes (because I'm a glutton for punishment the summer after my first year in vet school, apparently), but I'll be available until very early August.

Wildcatj
- I will look at everything for the most part. I'm probably better towards the beginning of the writing process than at the end. I make A LOT of comments and have a tendency to tear things apart. I don't usually do a lot of editing to the actual essay, more so leave comments and add prompting questions. I'm big into going through a few edits with people, so if you feel like you might need some extra help I'm your gal. If you want a real nice overhaul of your essay and a critical eye I can be of help.

TooLove - I will go over everything and make suggestions on what to change/cut out/keep. I will point out obvious grammar or wording issues, but there will be people who will check grammar more thoroughly than me. I can give you my overall impression of a PS, make suggestions and steer you in the right direction if you're in the early stages, or give you some ideas if you're stuck. You can send them directly though PMs on SDN, and I should have a pretty decent turnaround time once this semester is over, but please ask first! :)

Gugoodoll - I will look at everything- grammar, flow, content, ideas etc. I'll be busy the last 2 weeks of March but free otherwise until classes start in August. Just shoot me a PM!

98cats- I will look at everything as well. Like wildcat, I will write comments on the side unless it's a grammatical error, then I'll just fix it for you (and let you know where I did). I can also work with areas that sound awkward and maybe give you ideas for how to make the piece flow better. I like to work with full rough drafts; I'm not going to be very good at prompting you on where to go next unless you have a rough outline already.

allieoop2714 - I can help at any point in the writing process, whether you're struggling to start or just finishing it up. I am a huge grammar and spelling person, but I also like to help with structure and flow. I will tell you whether you should go a different direction or expand even more on what you're saying. Overall, I will help you make yourself stand out. I have a ton of free time from now until, well, August. Feel free to contact me at any time!

DalmatianDoc17 - I would love to help anyone out! I am by no means good at grammar or the technical aspects of writing (although I can tell you if something sounds awkward to me), so I will mostly help with content. I felt my personal statement was very creative and that's where my talents lie. I will work with you at any stage just pm me! (I should be pretty free this summer so I'll have a lot of time to help out, but I move (to start vet school! eek!) in August, so that's when I will be slower in responding)

equineconstant - I'm good at the technical aspect of writing, but I'll focus on big picture first. I rock at organization and coherence--I like pulling out connections to make your PS flow more clearly. I'll be happy to work through multiple drafts with you as long as we have enough time before the deadline!

allykd - I'm particularly good with grammar, flow, and organization, but I can also help with content as long as you already have more than an outline. I tend to be very honest about my opinion. I'm not in school and have a lot of downtime at work, so I'm pretty much available whenever.

loxodonta51 - My focus is usually creating a consistent flow and common message throughout your PS, but I am also very strong on grammar. I am a vet student at Cornell, so my time may be a bit limited. But I usually can get back to you pretty promptly!

Ashgirl - I may not be the best person to go to for grammar issues, but I'm pretty good at flow, content, and connecting everything back to vet med. Any stage of work is welcome (though of course I will be able to offer you more advice as you progress to the end product). I will be busy until the beginning of May, and then pretty much available all summer until mid-August, where I will still respond, but it might take a few days to get back to you.

Minnerbelle - I can read through your PS and tell you if I think it sucks or not. If I think it sucks, I'll let you know why, and things you might want to think about when you rewrite it. If I think it's pretty good, I can fine tooth comb it on track changes, and give you more targeted comments. I'm more than happy to read through multiple drafts. I think I've read through enough at this point over the years that I can tell you whether it sounds just like every other one, or if it actually stands out. After this week, I should be fairly free time-wise. That may change mid-June, but we'll see. I tend to have strong opinions, and I can't guarantee they'll align with the adcoms'... but you get what you pay for.

Farmgirl1992-I'm happy to help with the overall "picture" you are trying to portray and helping to steer things in the right direction. I hate fluff and disconnected thoughts and ideas, so hopefully I can help you organize yourself with a theme. I'm not the person to go to for grammar though.

JM313- I will read through your statement and will tell you honestly what kind of impression it left on me. I will point out the strongest and weakest points. I am also good at correcting grammar and can help with proper sentence structure. I can help with organization and rephrasing things to sound better. I can also give ideas on how to relate things to veterinary medicine. I am not in school, so I have quite a bit of free time. I will be moving at the end of June/early July so around then I may have a longer turn around time. I will also be happy to work on multiple drafts.

wolfpackprevet - I really need to change my name now... but I can help with general flow and transitions, as well as trying to help focus on making sure that it doesn't read like a resume. I can also try to help you with grammar; even though I have terrible grammar on here, I'm generally a grammar nazi. I'll be able to help much more after May 3rd, but can definitely help somewhat beforehand. I'm putting out a warning: no matter what we say, your personal statement is yours -- we got in, but our ways aren't the only way to do it. Anyway, I had 15 drafts so I got some practice. I'm also willing to help brainstorm with you, as my hardest part was choosing what to highlight. I'm big on cutting down on fluffy emotions, so brace yourself.

beatles1964- When it comes to proofreading, I usually ask people what they'd like me to focus on. I can make suggestions for improvement with smaller, nit-picky things like grammar and word choice, but can also give advice regarding overall flow and structure. Sometimes I can be sorta harsh when it comes to finding minor flaws that can be tweaked here and there, but I definitely take the time to read and reread sentences to make sure things make sense. I will have time to devote to reading PS's starting mid-late June through August.

Gwenevre- My strong suits are definitely sentence flow and making awkward transitions a little less awkward. I'll also make suggestions on how to take your experiences and really relate them back to the veterinary profession and how you've developed. I'm not big on fluff, so be prepared for a little harshness there, and I'm not too much of a grammar nazi. I'll be most available between md May-mid August and will happily work with you on multiple drafts.

Chocl8luva - My best editing is in helping you trim an excessively long essay down to the character count. I'll point out any grammar errors I catch but no promises I'll notice them all. I just finished my first year at Auburn and I will probably also lightly critique content...I did this last year and there were some essays that I felt were way off the mark on the tone and way they portrayed themselves. I'd like for anyone who wants an edit to contact me first via SDN personal message, then I'll send you my email address and give you an estimated response date (usually within a week). At that point you send me your statement in Word format and I will stuff the margins with my comments! Classes start back August 11, so I'll be out of commission at that point but until then, bring 'em on!

CloudlessNights - I'm a grammar/spelling person, so I will edit each statement with a fine-toothed comb for clarity, content, and correct-ness. I can help with flow, though I often can't come up with things to cut unless there are redundancies, as I myself tend to write too much most of the time. I'll be available through the first week in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Wildcatj
- I will look at everything for the most part. I'm probably better towards the beginning of the writing process than at the end. I make A LOT of comments and have a tendency to tear things apart. I don't usually do a lot of editing to the actual essay, more so leave comments and add prompting questions. I'm big into going through a few edits with people, so if you feel like you might need some extra help I'm your gal. If you want a real nice overhaul of your essay and a critical eye I can be of help.

TooLove - I will go over everything and make suggestions on what to change/cut out/keep. I will point out obvious grammar or wording issues, but there will be people who will check grammar more thoroughly than me. I can give you my overall impression of a PS, make suggestions and steer you in the right direction if you're in the early stages, or give you some ideas if you're stuck. You can send them directly though PMs on SDN, and I should have a pretty decent turnaround time once this semester is over, but please ask first! :)

Gugoodoll - I will look at everything- grammar, flow, content, ideas etc. I'll be busy the last 2 weeks of March but free otherwise until classes start in August. Just shoot me a PM!

98cats- I will look at everything as well. Like wildcat, I will write comments on the side unless it's a grammatical error, then I'll just fix it for you (and let you know where I did). I can also work with areas that sound awkward and maybe give you ideas for how to make the piece flow better. I like to work with full rough drafts; I'm not going to be very good at prompting you on where to go next unless you have a rough outline already.

allieoop2714 - I can help at any point in the writing process, whether you're struggling to start or just finishing it up. I am a huge grammar and spelling person, but I also like to help with structure and flow. I will tell you whether you should go a different direction or expand even more on what you're saying. Overall, I will help you make yourself stand out. I have a ton of free time from now until, well, August. Feel free to contact me at any time!

DalmatianDoc17 - I would love to help anyone out! I am by no means good at grammar or the technical aspects of writing (although I can tell you if something sounds awkward to me), so I will mostly help with content. I felt my personal statement was very creative and that's where my talents lie. I will work with you at any stage just pm me! (I should be pretty free this summer so I'll have a lot of time to help out, but I move (to start vet school! eek!) in August, so that's when I will be slower in responding)

equineconstant - I'm good at the technical aspect of writing, but I'll focus on big picture first. I rock at organization and coherence--I like pulling out connections to make your PS flow more clearly. I'll be happy to work through multiple drafts with you as long as we have enough time before the deadline!

allykd - I'm particularly good with grammar, flow, and organization, but I can also help with content as long as you already have more than an outline. I tend to be very honest about my opinion. I'm not in school and have a lot of downtime at work, so I'm pretty much available whenever.

loxodonta51 - My focus is usually creating a consistent flow and common message throughout your PS, but I am also very strong on grammar. I am a vet student at Cornell, so my time may be a bit limited. But I usually can get back to you pretty promptly!

Ashgirl - I may not be the best person to go to for grammar issues, but I'm pretty good at flow, content, and connecting everything back to vet med. Any stage of work is welcome (though of course I will be able to offer you more advice as you progress to the end product). I will be busy until the beginning of May, and then pretty much available all summer until mid-August, where I will still respond, but it might take a few days to get back to you.

Minnerbelle - I can read through your PS and tell you if I think it sucks or not. If I think it sucks, I'll let you know why, and things you might want to think about when you rewrite it. If I think it's pretty good, I can fine tooth comb it on track changes, and give you more targeted comments. I'm more than happy to read through multiple drafts. I think I've read through enough at this point over the years that I can tell you whether it sounds just like every other one, or if it actually stands out. After this week, I should be fairly free time-wise. That may change mid-June, but we'll see. I tend to have strong opinions, and I can't guarantee they'll align with the adcoms'... but you get what you pay for.

Farmgirl1992-I'm happy to help with the overall "picture" you are trying to portray and helping to steer things in the right direction. I hate fluff and disconnected thoughts and ideas, so hopefully I can help you organize yourself with a theme. I'm not the person to go to for grammar though.

JM313- I will read through your statement and will tell you honestly what kind of impression it left on me. I will point out the strongest and weakest points. I am also good at correcting grammar and can help with proper sentence structure. I can help with organization and rephrasing things to sound better. I can also give ideas on how to relate things to veterinary medicine. I am not in school, so I have quite a bit of free time. I will be moving at the end of June/early July so around then I may have a longer turn around time. I will also be happy to work on multiple drafts.

wolfpackprevet - I really need to change my name now... but I can help with general flow and transitions, as well as trying to help focus on making sure that it doesn't read like a resume. I can also try to help you with grammar; even though I have terrible grammar on here, I'm generally a grammar nazi. I'll be able to help much more after May 3rd, but can definitely help somewhat beforehand. I'm putting out a warning: no matter what we say, your personal statement is yours -- we got in, but our ways aren't the only way to do it. Anyway, I had 15 drafts so I got some practice. I'm also willing to help brainstorm with you, as my hardest part was choosing what to highlight. I'm big on cutting down on fluffy emotions, so brace yourself.

beatles1964- When it comes to proofreading, I usually ask people what they'd like me to focus on. I can make suggestions for improvement with smaller, nit-picky things like grammar and word choice, but can also give advice regarding overall flow and structure. Sometimes I can be sorta harsh when it comes to finding minor flaws that can be tweaked here and there, but I definitely take the time to read and reread sentences to make sure things make sense. I will have time to devote to reading PS's starting mid-late June through August.

Gwenevre- My strong suits are definitely sentence flow and making awkward transitions a little less awkward. I'll also make suggestions on how to take your experiences and really relate them back to the veterinary profession and how you've developed. I'm not big on fluff, so be prepared for a little harshness there, and I'm not too much of a grammar nazi. I'll be most available between md May-mid August and will happily work with you on multiple drafts.

Chocl8luva - My best editing is in helping you trim an excessively long essay down to the character count. I'll point out any grammar errors I catch but no promises I'll notice them all. I just finished my first year at Auburn and I will probably also lightly critique content...I did this last year and there were some essays that I felt were way off the mark on the tone and way they portrayed themselves. I'd like for anyone who wants an edit to contact me first via SDN personal message, then I'll send you my email address and give you an estimated response date (usually within a week). At that point you send me your statement in Word format and I will stuff the margins with my comments! Classes start back August 11, so I'll be out of commission at that point but until then, bring 'em on!

CloudlessNights - I'm a grammar/spelling person, so I will edit each statement with a fine-toothed comb for clarity, content, and correct-ness. I can help with flow, though I often can't come up with things to cut unless there are redundancies, as I myself tend to write too much most of the time. I'll be available through the first week in August.

Banjo906- I'm best with flow and content, but will do my best to pick out any grammatical/spelling errors as well. I am also pretty good at cutting down words, so if anyone is finding their statement to be too long I'm your gal :) I am moving in mid-August, but will be available to help out until then, and possibly beyond that (until I start my first semester of vet school on 8/25).

Wildcatj - I will look at everything for the most part. I'm probably better towards the beginning of the writing process than at the end. I make A LOT of comments and have a tendency to tear things apart. I don't usually do a lot of editing to the actual essay, more so leave comments and add prompting questions. I'm big into going through a few edits with people, so if you feel like you might need some extra help I'm your gal. If you want a real nice overhaul of your essay and a critical eye I can be of help.

Banjo906- I'm best with flow and content, but will do my best to pick out any grammatical/spelling errors as well. I am also pretty good at cutting down words, so if anyone is finding their statement to be too long I'm your gal :) I am moving in mid-August, but will be available to help out until then, and possibly beyond that (until I start my first semester of vet school on 8/25).

Horses925 - I helped review some personal statements last year and really enjoyed the experience, so I am back for more! Depending on where you are in your process, I try to help you craft your message about why it is that *you* belong in vet school...usually I ask lots of questions to try to get to know your story and help you figure out the best way to convey that within a limited number of characters. Later in the process I focus on grammar/style/spelling/flow etc. I can definitely be nitpicky and pick things apart but I only offer constructive criticism - promise! Classes start up for me again on 8/25 so I will be the most available prior to then but I will do my best after that to help out. Feel free to PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am new to this forum and do not know how to contact users for help. Could someone please help me look over my personal statement for DO school? It is my second draft. Thank you.

Taking my name off the list because my life is getting crazy hectic at the moment with classes and jobs ending.

Wildcatj

TooLove - I will go over everything and make suggestions on what to change/cut out/keep. I will point out obvious grammar or wording issues, but there will be people who will check grammar more thoroughly than me. I can give you my overall impression of a PS, make suggestions and steer you in the right direction if you're in the early stages, or give you some ideas if you're stuck. You can send them directly though PMs on SDN, and I should have a pretty decent turnaround time once this semester is over, but please ask first! attachFull183789

Banjo906- I'm best with flow and content, but will do my best to pick out any grammatical/spelling errors as well. I am also pretty good at cutting down words, so if anyone is finding their statement to be too long I'm your gal attachFull183788 I am moving in mid-August, but will be available to help out until then, and possibly beyond that (until I start my first semester of vet school on 8/25).

Horses925 - I helped review some personal statements last year and really enjoyed the experience, so I am back for more! Depending on where you are in your process, I try to help you craft your message about why it is that *you* belong in vet school...usually I ask lots of questions to try to get to know your story and help you figure out the best way to convey that within a limited number of characters. Later in the process I focus on grammar/style/spelling/flow etc. I can definitely be nitpicky and pick things apart but I only offer constructive criticism - promise! Classes start up for me again on 8/25 so I will be the most available prior to then but I will do my best after that to help out. Feel free to PM me!

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-24_1-7-50.png
    upload_2014-7-24_1-7-50.png
    95 bytes · Views: 50
  • upload_2014-7-24_1-7-50.png
    upload_2014-7-24_1-7-50.png
    95 bytes · Views: 38
  • upload_2014-7-24_1-8-3.png
    upload_2014-7-24_1-8-3.png
    95 bytes · Views: 36
  • upload_2014-7-24_1-8-3.png
    upload_2014-7-24_1-8-3.png
    95 bytes · Views: 33
I'm taking myself off for a least a little bit. I'm moving at the moment and things are crazy! (If you have already sent yours to me, don't worry I am not abandoning you!)

Wildcatj - I will look at everything for the most part. I'm probably better towards the beginning of the writing process than at the end. I make A LOT of comments and have a tendency to tear things apart. I don't usually do a lot of editing to the actual essay, more so leave comments and add prompting questions. I'm big into going through a few edits with people, so if you feel like you might need some extra help I'm your gal. If you want a real nice overhaul of your essay and a critical eye I can be of help.

TooLove - I will go over everything and make suggestions on what to change/cut out/keep. I will point out obvious grammar or wording issues, but there will be people who will check grammar more thoroughly than me. I can give you my overall impression of a PS, make suggestions and steer you in the right direction if you're in the early stages, or give you some ideas if you're stuck. You can send them directly though PMs on SDN, and I should have a pretty decent turnaround time once this semester is over, but please ask first! attachFull183789

Banjo906- I'm best with flow and content, but will do my best to pick out any grammatical/spelling errors as well. I am also pretty good at cutting down words, so if anyone is finding their statement to be too long I'm your gal attachFull183788 I am moving in mid-August, but will be available to help out until then, and possibly beyond that (until I start my first semester of vet school on 8/25).

I'm taking myself off as well. I'll try to finish whoever has asked me soon.

Hello! This post has been a quiet for a little bit, so I thought I'd post to see if anyone still wants to read my pers statement. I haven't touched it from last year's application bc honestly I'm not sure what to change or add... One of my waitlist schools said to be sure to add to my pers state ten what I've improved on or what I've changed... Honestly since I was waitlisted (And didn't know til march) and waiting to hear news up til end of April....I didn't do much but sit around a wait. And by sit around I mean continue to work my 16 hour a week job in the large animal clinic I have, and continue working towards my degree. So nothing really changed...I'm not really sure what to add or say about the past year. Lol luckily I'm only applying to 2 of the same schools, but I don't know if I should submit the same personal statement or what... Help!!

Hi guys! First off, thanks for putting your aid out there for us pre-vetters, its really generous of you to volunteer to help with our writing ( I HATE writing so hearing you guys talk positively about it is nice! haha).
But, I am posting on here to ask if someone would be willing to read my PS. I am already pretty much done with it, so I'm looking for feedback overall on how it sounds and touch up edits and grammar fixes. If this sounds like something you are willing to do for me please let me know! I would like to submit by the priority deadline (sept 2nd) and I don't think editing it should take long at all, I just want to have someone I don't know read it over. Thanks so much!!!

Hi I was wondering if someone would at all be willing to read my PS?? I know that this isn't a ton of time till the deadline but I have been working on it for a little while now. I actually completely re-wrote it cause I hated how the first one sounded. I particularly need advice on how to make it stand out. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Okay, last minute-ish. Anyone specifically open for reading/critiquing personal statements? I'd be willing to trade statement critiques too!

Okay, last minute-ish. Anyone specifically open for reading/critiquing personal statements? I'd be willing to trade statement critiques too!
If you're still willing to do so, I am! Ended re-writing my PS from scratch, so I definitely appreciate some critique >___>

If you're still willing to do so, I am! Ended re-writing my PS from scratch, so I definitely appreciate some critique >___>
Yay! Ill PM you sometime this afternoon

I am between exams and willing to offer last minute critiques until Thursday. Good luck on everyone's applications!
Email to [email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
I am between exams and willing to offer last minute critiques until Thursday. Good luck on everyone's applications!
Email to [email protected]

Thank you! Someone is currently critiquing mine, but once I get it back and make edits I will send it right your way! :happy:

So I'm still not finished with my personal statement, but I feel if I wait until I'm finished then it will be too late for anyone to look at it. Anyone interested in reading/critiquing what I have? I'm more than willing to swap statements with others!