Personal Statement Review Services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unmuzzled

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you used these personal statement review/editing services like Accepted.com or EssayEdge.com? Just wondering if anyone has some good/bad experiences with these and wanted to see which one I should use.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of reviews if you search SDN. For what it's worth, I used it in 2007 and liked the product that I received back. It works best if you have a final draft ready for AMCAS submission. The editors send back a well polished, lean personal statement.

SDNers typically don't like these services. Many will suggest that you use the PS reader list. While SDNers are helpful, not all of the advice you get is useful. Many will be too busy to respond to you and you'll typically average a 30% response rate. There's always a few editors on the list that are very helpful with respect to focusing your message, but the benefit of the paid services is that they can cut the fat from your essay to give you a more concise essay after SDN ensures that the content is right for med schools.

Last edited:
SDN PS readiner list > Essay company readers

Members don't see this ad :)
What service did u use koko_eats?

i used a med school consultant- she was super helpful. my parents were nice enough to pay for it though, i don't think i'd have done it if i had to pay. pm me if you want more info.

I used gurufi.com for my personal statement review. Brian is the guy! He turned around me essay from pile of trash to pile of gold. He listened to what I wanted to convey in the essay and did exactly that in one day. The turnaround was very quick and satisfying. I highly recommend gurufi.

Why do you need a service to review your PS? Ask your pre-health advisor/your teachers and friends. If they think it needs work then it should be sufficient. Having shown my PS to my research mentor (staff at medical school), english professor, friend and brother I felt pretty good. People can argue that these people don't know what med school admissions are looking for but on the contrary, if things don't make sense to them then you should rewrite your PS. I feel like these services are gimmicks to steal your money. I am sure they do a good job, but I do not think you need to use them.
You university should also have a writing center, atleast mine did.

Also the essay is supposed to define who you are. You only want people to revise it for you not have someone rewrite it. I am sure medical school admissions can pick out those that just don't seem to match with other writing promts you have on primary application (such as activities descriptions)