Personal Statement - Self disclosure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of research regarding how to write a personal statement. I am applying for MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs this summer. Most of what I read and a few members of this forum have told me is to NOT self disclose too much. My conflict is that my advisor from undergrad who is a Psychologist said moderate disclosure can help? For me, I had personal issues as a teenager myself that I resolved through help and seeing some bad things friends went through not getting help. So I was thinking to briefly touch on how I saw how therapy can be greatly beneficial as well as how not receiving proper care can lead to a devastating outcome. These were things that I experienced 10+ years ago and aren't an issue now.... should I still leave ALL of this out and just focus on my limited research and interning in undergrad? What if these are the driving factors that led me to have a passion for the field. Thanks, and sorry if this has been discussed previously on the forum. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you said the answer. moderate disclosure can help but too much disclosure might be off-putting. When I applied to my MSW program I self-disclosed a bit and than a had a few people proof-read to let me know how it came off....I would suggest that.

Ikibah beat me to it. You have already answered your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would emphasize what you learned from your experiences and how they have molded you into the man/woman you are today. I wouldn't dwell on them too much. I think that you are fine and that your desire for the field will be evident in your statement.

Well, you said the answer. moderate disclosure can help but too much disclosure might be off-putting. When I applied to my MSW program I self-disclosed a bit and than a had a few people proof-read to let me know how it came off....I would suggest that.
is the msw program at nyu? if so, I'm planning to apply to it at the end of the year, any advise refering to expectations and letters of recc.? thx

It was not NYU sorry...but as far as letter of rec doesn't NYU tell you where they want you to try to get them from?