Personal Statement..Want to revise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajlst11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my 1st draft. I think its "OK" to start with, but I will definately need some editing and some ideas maybe...if you could please read it and give advice/thoughts/ ANYTHING, I would be very appreciative, thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want, you can PM me with it. I'm no English major by any means, but I can help you with some constructive criticism...

Members don't see this ad :)
they were really vague about what they wanted, its just basically explaining why you want to be a dentist? can anyone that knows expand on that a little?, when I highlight in word and go to tools and word count, it says 5,403 characters with spaces, 4441 no spaces, in the guidelines it says 4500 with spaces, so in what I will actually be submitting, they DO want to see spaces right? which means I have to cut about 900 characters from my statement?

they were really vague about what they wanted, its just basically explaining why you want to be a dentist? can anyone that knows expand on that a little?, when I highlight in word and go to tools and word count, it says 5,403 characters with spaces, 4441 no spaces, in the guidelines it says 4500 with spaces, so in what I will actually be submitting, they DO want to see spaces right? which means I have to cut about 900 characters from my statement?

There were so many things that I wanted to talk about but I managed to shorten it to around 4100.

Yes, the 4500 character limit includes spaces...so you have some cutting down to do!

my PS is one page single spaced (3141 characters). Should I write more?

You should never exceed 4500 characters.
It seems most people use single space except when they switch to the next paragraph.

Mine is about 4100.

There is no minimum length but I i think you should make it at least 3500 characters to make it look nice. Maybe 3500~4300 is a good length.

Hey I was wondering if they showed where it cuts off when you look at the preview so you know you exceeded the 4500 character limit?

Just finished my 1st draft. I think its "OK" to start with, but I will definately need some editing and some ideas maybe...if you could please read it and give advice/thoughts/ ANYTHING, I would be very appreciative, thanks in advance!!!

I think your better off not asking random people/students for opinions on your draft. You never know the person behind the computer plus how qualified they are. Your better off asking a professor in the English department or if you have a Career Services office at your university, that's also a good place.

why would you?

if anything, eliminate some of the useless words.

short and concise.

I assumed that after 4500 characters it cuts off. However, when I pasted my draft in there, it showed it all, but on the bottom (not the essay part) it said exceeds 4500.

Does anyone know if on the application they write over 4500? I'm trying to cut it down - but am wondering if it's ok to go a bit over...if they only wanted 4500 wouldn't they cut it off?

I assumed that after 4500 characters it cuts off. However, when I pasted my draft in there, it showed it all, but on the bottom (not the essay part) it said exceeds 4500.

Does anyone know if on the application they write over 4500? I'm trying to cut it down - but am wondering if it's ok to go a bit over...if they only wanted 4500 wouldn't they cut it off?

I believe if you go over the limit and try to save that section, it will give you a message stating you have gone over the maximum characters allowed.

They have a 4500 count for a reason.