Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iloveschool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the mist of writing my personal statement for my GME-1 application. I am Navy HPSP and my goal is to eventually complete a residency in internal medicine (to be decided whether that will be broken up by a GMO tour) at one of the three Navy hospitals.

Should I specifically mention something about the navy in my statement? Should I mention my goal of eventually completing a residency? Any other general advise on the personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the mist of writing my personal statement for my GME-1 application. I am Navy HPSP and my goal is to eventually complete a residency in internal medicine (to be decided whether that will be broken up by a GMO tour) at one of the three Navy hospitals.

Should I specifically mention something about the navy in my statement? Should I mention my goal of eventually completing a residency? Any other general advise on the personal statement?

A good ps is a good ps, so focus on that rather than Navy-specific buzzwords and you should be OK. One thing I know milmed selection boards look for at every level is your ambitions as a career military physician and pertinent factors that drive you to be one, so mentioning your goals of completing a military IM residency in that context would be appropriate.

BTW 'in the mist' is certainly the way I feel when writing a personal statement, however it's actually 'in the midst'.

A good ps is a good ps, so focus on that rather than Navy-specific buzzwords and you should be OK. One thing I know milmed selection boards look for at every level is your ambitions as a career military physician and pertinent factors that drive you to be one, so mentioning your goals of completing a military IM residency in that context would be appropriate.

BTW 'in the mist' is certainly the way I feel when writing a personal statement, however it's actually 'in the midst'.

I did my MD MBA with hopes of attaining administrative roles if I stayed career. Is it appropriate to convey those ambitions, things like head department roles, educator role (UHUSC) or commanding officer (one day ha)?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not inappropriate, but it isn't likely to matter much. It's a pretty objective point driven process. We all obsess over personal statements, but the truth is as long as it doesn't make you look immature, naive, or illiterate, it's not likely to help or hurt you.

The exception is if you have actual special circumstances you want the board to know about, like a spouse with a job in a particular city.

It's not inappropriate, but it isn't likely to matter much. It's a pretty objective point driven process. We all obsess over personal statements, but the truth is as long as it doesn't make you look immature, naive, or illiterate, it's not likely to help or hurt you.

The exception is if you have actual special circumstances you want the board to know about, like a spouse with a job in a particular city.
what about your entire immediate family?

what about your entire immediate family?
I'm led to believe it doesn't matter. I guess if you're the caregiver for those people. Mom in a SNF or something. Disabled brother in your home. Etc.

Put another way, there's not s lot of sympathy out there for people in the military who have to move away from friends and family.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm led to believe it doesn't matter. I guess if you're the caregiver for those people. Mom in a SNF or something. Disabled brother in your home. Etc.

Put another way, there's not s lot of sympathy out there for people in the military who have to move away from friends and family.

I disagree to an extent. Residency directors and specialty leaders want to have high functioning slaves (residents). On the whole I agree that MILMED lacks sympathy, but I do think that most PDs and SLs want the best for their incoming residents.

OP...if you want IM...you are just about guaranteed to get IM. It will be more competitive to get San Diego...but Portsmouth and Bethesda are practically locks. Just don't write something completely stupid on your PS...and you will be fine.

I'm actually really happy to see this bumped! I'm starting to think about my PS.

...Actually I'm a third year. So I'm starting to think about thinking about my PS.

Anyone got any other advice I can come back to in a few months?

I like medicine. I want to help people.

8 words or less.

Yes your forgot the patriotism slant too.

I want to help people and serve my country while helping soldiers......

Ok, so now we have ---

I like medicine. I want to serve my country while providing the best evidence based care for military members and their dependents. 'Murica!

23 words. Still reasonably brief.

Yes. Your personal statement is fundamentally meaningless in the military match. It can only hurt you, not help you.

If you are going to submit one, stick to something ultra-generic and succinct.
My PS for residency was this long, impassioned affair about how I found my love for the magnificent specialty of anesthesiology. Dedication to service, etc etc.

All true, but in retrospect I don't think it had any bearing on anything. The PDs knew me. They weren't the sort to be swayed by emotional speeches, and rightly so.

My PS for fellowship was about four sentences, and just served to inform the board that I'd be OK with either a 2016 select or a 2017 pre-select. Because for some reason, the web app wouldn't let me apply for / rank both. Of course ... board results aren't out yet ... don't know if I'll be selected ... so maybe I shouldn't declare this to be the superior PS strategy. :)

Ok, so now we have ---

I like medicine. I want to serve my country while providing the best evidence based care for military members and their dependents. 'Murica!

23 words. Still reasonably brief.

Love medicine. Serve warriors. Evidence based. 'Murica. Wow.

There. Back down to 8 words.

Patriot Doge.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Had a residency applicant who, in his PS, made reference to being "caught between Scylla and Charybdis". I immediately moved him to the top of my ranking list.

But I'm a sucker for references to Greek Mythology.

Now, like Sisyphus, that resident expends tremendous effort working up a case, only for me to tell him that he's wrong and to start over.

Reactions: 2 users
For owning a Sting CD? :)

ETA - maybe that was a Police song.

I remembered the Lolita reference in "Don't Stand so Close to Me", but totally forgot about the reference to The Oddysey in "Wrapped Around Your Finger".

Tantric sex, Homeric references in pop songs, namesake for Amazonian tree frogs... Is there anything Sting can't do?

Yes. Your personal statement is fundamentally meaningless in the military match. It can only hurt you, not help you.

If you are going to submit one, stick to something ultra-generic and succinct.

The Mil Match seems less and less stressful everyday (while my civilian counterparts continue to increase their anxiety over the NRMP).