Personality Traits - How to find out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soltaro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the goal is to paint a general picture of someone's personality on the internet, how would you do it?

1) Would you let people self-grade on a certain trait, or ask more 'vague' questions and put a certain value on the answer?
I'm leaning towards self-grading, though I understand it has a certain bias. If you have experience with either method, I'd like to hear the ups and downs.

2) Which trait categories would you use? / Which are commonly used in applied psychology?
For example, you can have something like the "Myers-Briggs Type Indicator" but I'm not sure if the outcome is very intuitive to understand, in terms of the derived traits at least.
A more clear trait example IMO is something like: Pessimistic - Optimistic. Easier to self-grade and understandable when someone else sees it (unlike "feeling" or "sensing")

If using the example scale "Pessimistic - Optimistic", how many similar scales would you have to ask to paint a general picture of someone's personality? (ie: Spiritual/Logical/Kind/Honest etc..)

3) When self-grading, both in terms of accuracy (of the person filling it in) and clarity (of others viewing the result) which grading system would you use?

Some options with the previous mentioned example in mind:
- Optimistic: Strongly disagree | 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 | Strongly agree (if so: 4 or 5 point scale?)
- Raport card style, number grade. ie: Kind: 8 / Optimistic: 6 / etc..
- Scale with opposites, put a mark in between: Pessimistic []--------|--[] Optimistic
- Any other good methods?

4) Once you've got the info, how would you list/display the info in an efficient, easy to view manner? (as in: Other people should be able to get a quick impression of someone's personality)
Ie: A list? A graph? Pie chart? Show the positive and negative outliers first? Ignore the middle/standard answers alltogether?

Any more suggestions on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I understand it's impossible to 100% accurately pin-point someone's personality on the internet with a couple of questions, but given the limitations, which method is best?
Especially important in this case is:
- Easiness to fill in (while relatively accurate)
- Easiness to understand results by another

Members don't see this ad.

Too many questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If not for homework, than that level of help (looks like foundational to implementation) is the sort of things psychs get consultation pay, authorship, etc., for. Not really free work questions.
Perhaps it's my mistake in assuming that what I'm asking was already common practice, implemented in various ways. I didn't expect anyone to invent the wheel for free, but simply share pre-existing knowledge.

Surely there must be various personality classifications though? Perhaps I should simplify and simply ask which personality classification has your preference and why?

It's not really necessary to "categorize" personality in order to successfully treat most of the psychopathology that presents itself for treatment.

The personality research is kind of huge, but I suggest looking into the "Big Five" as a potential starting place. That sounds like the kind of thing you're looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Or these types...
Four Basic Personality Types.jpg