Perspective UB student w/ questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mightyone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been accepted to UB medical school and just wanted some feedback on the school and the area. While I was up there, albeit for a day or so for the interview, it seemed like a laid back place with very nice people. But I want to know how the school year is like and how are the classes. Additionally the weather factor and the living conditions relating to it would be informal. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have been accepted to UB medical school and just wanted some feedback on the school and the area. While I was up there, albeit for a day or so for the interview, it seemed like a laid back place with very nice people. But I want to know how the school year is like and how are the classes. Additionally the weather factor and the living conditions relating to it would be informal. Thanks in advance.

I've heard their class is really nice and people are good to each other and happy there.

but! it's "prospective" not "perspective"... sorry, just huge pet peeve of mine.

It's a pretty nice place, I like it okay. It's kind of a boring city, but you don't have much free time anyways. The school is quite laid back--you do as much work as you want to and unless you're gunning for the top of the pack it really isn't too competitive. The schoolyear is endlessly long and the classes vary A LOT in quality and interest level. Because of this, we have a group of people who never go to class and just learn everything on their own. They seem to do fine, but I'm not in that group so I can't really comment.

I haven't been endlessly impressed with how nice my classmates are, I know that is a commonly repeated stereotype about UB, so it must have some truth, but I'm not sure. I guess they're ok, but a roomful of privileged frat boys and sorority girls doesn't quite do it for me. There are always the exceptions, though, and that's why I am not unhappy here--everyone can find a niche of friends.

The weather sucks but it's Buffalo so what do you expect. It is really freezing during the winter, but the other seasons are quite lovely. We don't get anywhere near as much snow as the southern counties (the recent storms that you have been hearing about in Western NY have almost entirely missed us). Generally when the weather is bad the driving conditions are slippery but not impossible--you learn how to be careful and when to avoid driving, and most people pick up solid winter driving skills pretty quickly. It is a good idea to live somewhat close to school, though, because commuting on highways during snowstorms is no fun at all.

Hope that helped...I don't mean to be negative, I really do like it here, it's just a stressful time and I don't think too many students with upcoming exams and the Boards hanging over them are loving their school right now. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at UB.
I like my class, as well as the class ahead of me (although we've been labeled as more of a "gunner" class for whatever reason). There is definitely more to do here in the summer (of course, if you're a skiier, there is more to do in the winter). A lot of the time I spend with my classmates and non-med friends when when not studying is a low key bar or someone will throw a party of sorts. We haven't had too much snow this year, but we're wort of dealing with blow freezing temperatures right now!
As far as the curriculum goes, some of the kinks are still being worked out in terms of the organ systems go, in terms of what to teach when and in which block. The 8-noon thing is true most days, especially first semester, so you do gave enough time to study and say go to the gym or go out to dinner after classes. We all complain about CPM as a course, but most of us get a lot out of our preceptor experiences.
Oh, and the SUNY tuition + cost of living isn't too shabby :p
Feel free to PM me with any other Qs!

Hey guys! Thanks for the insight. I am also wondering about the housing situation. Do any of you guys reside in the on-campus dorms or apartments? how are they like? Is the convienence of living on-campus worth the low per $ value of campus housing and lack of privacy that comes w/ on-campus housing? Cuz I tend to value my privacy. I also heard that one can find apartments around $500~700 range. Is this true? And is this true for the areas closer to campus? say around 10~15min drive (like w/n 5mile radius). And how about the food? Do you guys tend to eat out all the time or a meal plan? or cook at home? Sorry for the barrage of questions, thanks in advance and any comments and information will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys! Thanks for the insight. I am also wondering about the housing situation. Do any of you guys reside in the on-campus dorms or apartments? how are they like? Is the convienence of living on-campus worth the low per $ value of campus housing and lack of privacy that comes w/ on-campus housing? Cuz I tend to value my privacy. I also heard that one can find apartments around $500~700 range. Is this true? And is this true for the areas closer to campus? say around 10~15min drive (like w/n 5mile radius). And how about the food? Do you guys tend to eat out all the time or a meal plan? or cook at home? Sorry for the barrage of questions, thanks in advance and any comments and information will be greatly appreciated.

Not many people live on campus. The university owned apartments are nice, but most people consider them overpriced, plus they are on a different campus so it isn't even like they are particularly convenient. They do have shuttles and stuff, though, so if you don't like driving or don't have a car they might work out well for you. That's the main reason why most people live in those apartments. There is an excellent housing market in the nearby area. Amherst, an affluent and safe suburb, is just North of campus and is the closest option. I live there and I drive about 5 minutes to get to school, it's great. You can also find a nice place in downtown Buffalo if you'd prefer a bit more urban environment. The commute isn't awful but it's a longer than the Amherst commute. It's a great market. You can get a nice place for the amount you quoted, and if you're willing to have a roommate you can get housing for a lot less.
I don't know anyone who is on a meal plan, mostly I bring food or buy it on campus if I'm sticking around for the afternoon, and I cook dinner. Hope this helps :thumbup:

Hey supercluster, thanks for the response, thats great wealth of info. One more thing (give an inch and...) I think there is an housing orientation or something of sorts in june? Is this a good place to quickly find housing around the neigborhood you mentioned in a day or two? I live in Flushing, queens part of the tri-borough so I want to minimize my travel expenses. Additionally (take mile..) I don't know if any of you guys have knowledge in this area but when should the fafsa be filed? and should parental info be included? I come from a poor background and have been supporting myself through school but I heard somewhere that if your from low income bracket (family wise) you can obtain more of need based money for tuition. Any truth to that? Geez I think I'm even starting to get annoyed by me. Any ways thanks a whole bunch to all for the info.

Hey supercluster, thanks for the response, thats great wealth of info. One more thing (give an inch and...) I think there is an housing orientation or something of sorts in june? Is this a good place to quickly find housing around the neigborhood you mentioned in a day or two? I live in Flushing, queens part of the tri-borough so I want to minimize my travel expenses. Additionally (take mile..) I don't know if any of you guys have knowledge in this area but when should the fafsa be filed? and should parental info be included? I come from a poor background and have been supporting myself through school but I heard somewhere that if your from low income bracket (family wise) you can obtain more of need based money for tuition. Any truth to that? Geez I think I'm even starting to get annoyed by me. Any ways thanks a whole bunch to all for the info.

hmmm yeah, I think it's a pretty good way to find housing--I didn't go to mine, I just went on my own and found an apartment in like 15 minutes. The only criticism that I've heard of is that they only show a couple of apartment buildings, but they're popular buildings with students so several classmates always end up living in those buildings. When it gets closer to the time, ask me again and I will dig out the posts that I made last year about housing--I don't remember everything off the top of my head, but I put a lot of time into writing about it last year. :)

Regarding FAFSA, for returning students, we're supposed to file by March 1st. I'm not sure what your deadline is, but do it sooner rather than later. My parents aren't contributing any money but I still put in their info down because I was advised to. I don't get any need-based aid but I do get some of my loans subsidized (as does everyone else) because we're all grad students. Even if you have to finance everything with loans, remember that the tuition is half that of a private school, so it could be a lot worse...hope that helps

March 1 I'm supposed to file by? Good to know... :p

In terms of housing, there is a "Weekend" (which was a random Thursday and Friday in June this past year) where some people find roommates and such (I actually met mine at Second Look Day in March, which I'm sure you'll be hearing about). A lot of people ended up in apt buildings in Amherst (the suburb that the campus is in the boarder of), and are now looking to move into the city because (1) we tend to hang out there more and (2) all but one of the hospitals we rotate through are in the city. Make friends with locals and have then introduce you to the area. I, for one, live in a pretty fantastic neighborhood :)