Persuading classmate NOT to apply to naturopathic school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A People Person Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm completing a post-bac and several of my classmates are planning on applying to naturopathic school. I've told them that there's alot of research that shows naturopaths are not science-based doctors. However, they said they want to treat patients using "natural therapies". (To be honest, when I was sick a few years ago and had exhausted current medical treatments, I got kinda wrapped up in the whole alternative medicine thing so I could see how someone could get fooled)

Anyone have any luck getting a friend to change their mind? I would hate for my classmates to waste all their money on this path; especially when they could apply MD/DO since they're taking the exact same prerequisities as me.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude(tte), I'm a practicing physician who received formal training on how to assess people's "readiness" for change and "motivate" them to change. I've also had several years of practice experience wherein I "advise" people to do what they already know they're supposed to do, and not to do what they already know they're not supposed to do. The barrier to change is very rarely one of lack of info. However, the reason why I keep telling patients what to do differently anyway is because at work, that's what I get paid for. Outside work? I'm pretty darn libertarian about living and let living regarding other people and their vices. So my advice to you, particularly if you wish to keep these friends, is to mind your own darn business. Seriously.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Op, I have a similar dilemma. If you find something that works, let me know. However, I can tell you that in my experience one of the factors that leads people down that road and to stay on it in the face of logic and facts is people trying to change their minds. So tread lightly. Although as far as I'm concerned, if they apply naturopathic, I'll take their do spot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I always liked the idea of alternative medicine. I was an avid practitioner of Tai Chi for many years. The one thing I could never wrap my head around was their concept of "Chi". They love to swing that word around, but nobody understands it, nor can they explain what it really is. Furthermore nobody could reproduce it or convince me of its utility.

In any case, after walking through that world for many years, I came to the realization that most of naturopathy is more akin to a religion than a scientific pursuit of improving our knowledge. These people want to have faith in these therapies without any solid evidence of its efficacy. It is virtually impossible to convince somebody like this if their mind is already made up. The only thing I could suggest is to convey your excitement about the progress scientific medicine is making every single day. Cure for HIV? We are almost there! New treatments for Parkinsons and Alzheimers are currently in trials! Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy just had an exon skipping drug approved that is going to revolutionize and improve the lives of many kids suffering right now. T-Cell immunotherapy of cancer is curing some types of cancers that were unapproachable before. Honestly, we have a lot to brag about...what new improvements to humanity is naturopathy providing right now?

Reactions: 1 user
So while previous replies are completely correct that all the info in the world may not convince some people, I agree with you that (depending on your relationships with these classmates, desire to preserve the friendships, etc.) it's worth trying to give them whatever insight you can. I had a former classmate who was planning on applying to naturopathy school--he lived in a state where NDs had a pretty significant scope of practice, and had met a couple who had seemed like competent and responsible medical practitioners to him, so I could understand why it seemed appealing. I talked to him about it a lot, and thankfully those conversations plus showing him an ex-ND's blog (https://www.naturopathicdiaries.com) convinced him to go the NP route instead. Maybe some of the blog posts will get through to your classmates as well?

You're just going to have to nod, smile, and let them figure it out on their own. If you're looking to thin out your Christmas card list, by all means, tell them that their life choices are wrong. You, at the post-bacc level, have little to stand on as far as expertise is concerned. Furthermore, you don't have a dog in the fight. It's not your life or your career. Mind your own career and keep your disapproval to yourself. As a people person, you should know that people don't like to be told they're wrong. See the irony here? In this post I'm telling you how wrong you are. You probably don't like it.

One of my biggest pet peeves in unsolicited advice and the people that like to foist their advice and opinions without invitation.

And, later on down the road, keep your I-told-you-so's to yourself as well, should you have the opportunity to express any.