Peter Diamandis predicts that patients will soon refuse to be operated by human surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dock1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://medium.com/@PeterDiamandis/the-robot-revolution-9aa5ec18403d

“Oh no! No, no, no… I do not want that human cutting me open. I want the robot that has done it perfectly a thousand times to do the operation.”

What are your thoughts? Will surgeons soon end up unemployed in poverty with huge student loans?

Members don't see this ad.

OP you're the worst chicken little I have read on these whole forums and that's really saying something.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He is either completely unaware or deliberately leaves out the fact that the Davinci requires a human operator. It is not a "robot surgeon" - it is a robot controlled by a human surgeon.

And while it is a really interesting tool, it is not applicable or even helpful in the vast majority of operations.

And even worse, an OB-Gyn is usually on the other end of the console.

He is either completely unaware or deliberately leaves out the fact that the Davinci requires a human operator. It is not a "robot surgeon" - it is a robot controlled by a human surgeon.

And while it is a really interesting tool, it is not applicable or even helpful in the vast majority of operations.
By interesting tool, I thought you were referring to this "peter diamandis" tool

Reactions: 2 users
Joking aside, my intuition regarding robotics and AI is that surgery would be among the last of the healthcare areas to be subsumed. Conceptually it seems straightforward, but in reality I think there's way too many intuitive spatial decisions being made every second. Computers' intelligence will outpace the speed of their fine motor skills for a long time, I think.

I wonder what healthcare professions WOULD be among the first to be chipped away by AI. Nurse anesthetists? Pharmacists? Radiologists?

Go back in time even as few as 15-20 years and you'd be making literally that exact post, word for word, about driving a car (hell some people probably still would now). The history of AI (and skepticism thereof) is just hilarious as all get out.

maybe, but surgeons will be much cheaper, they only require food and shelter. Robots are expensive as hell.

Good point, thats why automobiles are all still made by humans, car companies just cant afford all those expensive robots

Reactions: 1 user

Welcome to the woebegone future.

Not what you remember signing up for? Back of the line, then.

No in truth now: All of this is very interesting and replete with refined-carbohydrate rich food for human thought -- what remains of the latter, that is.

I myself hope to be dead long before any of it actually arises, thank you very much.

Cool story that you typed out on your computer and transmitted instantly to complete strangers over an informational network that costs pennies a day.

Cool story that you typed out on your computer and transmitted instantly to complete strangers over an informational network that costs pennies a day.

It is "cool," isn't it? How impressive that meaningless drivel, data, and dispositions are disseminated and digested by digital dorks without any drop of due diligence! Be it medical or scientific literature, the mainstream media, or the mind-numbing number of haphazard blog posts by surreptitiously bankrolled beta testers, soft-lobbied pissants, self-described business gurus, or hapless techno-weenies, the age of information obesity (in which quantity rules) is one that I've slowly come to terms with by trusting nothing. Convenience and cost-savings, indeed! I cannot begin to tell you how much "better" my life has become.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is "cool," isn't it? How impressive that meaningless drivel, data, and dispositions are disseminated and digested by digital dorks without any drop of due diligence! Be it medical or scientific literature, the mainstream media, or the mind-numbing number of haphazard blog posts by surreptitiously bankrolled beta testers, soft-lobbied pissants, self-described business gurus, or hapless techno-weenies, the age of information obesity (in which quantity rules) is one that I've slowly come to terms with by trusting nothing. Convenience and cost-savings, indeed! I cannot begin to tell you how much "better" my life has become.
There is more, that's true. There is more drivel, sure. There is also more of quality than there has ever been. Don't blame the world for you being a lazy consumer. Choice paralysis is a you problem. Opting out is a viable strategy, and if it makes you happy I say vaya con dios, y sin tecnologia.

A large amount of what gets published and read and passed around and discussed is trash. Same as it ever was. If you are harkening back to some golden age, I got bad news for you. It never existed. The past benefits greatly from the fact that all their trash is lost to followup. But you'd know that since you are a stickler for due diligence and rigor right?

Last edited:
There is more, that's true. There is more drivel, sure. There is also more of quality than there has ever been. Don't blame the world for you being a lazy consumer. Choice paralysis is a you problem. Opting out is a viable strategy, and if it makes you happy I say vaya con dios, y sin tecnologia.

A large amount of what gets published and read and passed around and discussed is trash. Same as it ever was. If you are harkening back to some golden age, I got bad news for you. It never existed. The past benefits greatly from the fact that all their trash is lost to followup. But you'd know that since you are a stickler for due diligence and rigor right?

Yes I would, and I'll for the moment appreciate your closing statement as a nod to that.

I think the fact that pharmacists still haven't been replaced by computers is a pretty good sign that replacing humans with robots is never as simple as things are played out to seem

Reactions: 1 users
Same reason we won't have freeways full of self driving cars in 2020 like all these moon bats are predicting. Not because the technology isn't there. Not because a computer couldn't drive a car 10 times better than a human. But because the first time your helmet wearing ****** of a progeny flings himself into a street after a shiny wrapper that grabbed his fleeting attention and gets run over by said self driving car the company will be sued out of existence.
Google will learn this the hard way. The DaVinci people have no reason to even try.

I used to think that. I still do think that if self-driving cars are only, say 5x cheaper, faster, safer and more efficient than the current paradigm.

But the number is much higher than 5x, so I just dont think Ludditism is gonna be enough to stem the tide. Self-driving cars are inevitable. And awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
I used to think that. I still do think that if self-driving cars are only, say 5x cheaper, faster, safer and more efficient than the current paradigm.

But the number is much higher than 5x, so I just dont think Ludditism is gonna be enough to stem the tide. Self-driving cars are inevitable. And awesome.
I'm super excited about the personal decrease in mortality risk driving home post-overnight. Waking up while going 70 on the freeway is a disturbing experience. In terms of surgeons, I'm not sure that technical skill of surgeon is driving factor in outcome of MOST surgeries. Now if a robotic surgeon can guarantee patient compliance with pre and post op instructions, I think that'd be worth looking into.

the most enjoyable chicken little threat at the bottom of this slippery slope is the Costco Appendectomy Technician License

I can make ridiculous, sensationalist claims for attention too. Watch:

"In 15 years, physicians will be obsolete because of human organ cloning. Whatever the diseased physiologic process is, be it hepatic, neurologic, or hematologic, you can simply grow a new part and replace it."

See? absolute rubbish, but I tossed in a few big words for the mouth breathers to perseverate on, and I include a small amount of actual science as a basis upon which to extrapolate so that people who have no idea what I'm talking about feel like I'm basing it upon something real.

I can make ridiculous, sensationalist claims for attention too. Watch:

"In 15 years, physicians will be obsolete because of human organ cloning. Whatever the diseased physiologic process is, be it hepatic, neurologic, or hematologic, you can simply grow a new part and replace it."

See? absolute rubbish, but I tossed in a few big words for the mouth breathers to perseverate on, and I include a small amount of actual science as a basis upon which to extrapolate so that people who have no idea what I'm talking about feel like I'm basing it upon something real.

It is unclear if your clever satire is mocking the futurists or the Luddites

I'm super excited about the personal decrease in mortality risk driving home post-overnight. Waking up while going 70 on the freeway is a disturbing experience. In terms of surgeons, I'm not sure that technical skill of surgeon is driving factor in outcome of MOST surgeries. Now if a robotic surgeon can guarantee patient compliance with pre and post op instructions, I think that'd be worth looking into.

here's a pro tip: don't go 70 on the freeway post call.
Post call I'd be music up, window down, foot to the floor weaving through traffic. You go a constant speed and stay in 1 lane you're at a bigger risk of falling asleep I found that driving like a lunatic was a great way to stay awake and alert, now stoplights...those f-ers will get you every time.

*This does not constitute professional advice and any and all readers should make their own decisions based on road and traffic conditions regarding the safest way to arrive home.