Menu Icon Search
Close Search

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Pets at SGU?

Discussion in 'Saint George's University (Sponsored Forum)' started by Zpearl, 02.15.12.

1. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do any students at SGU have pets? I've been fostering this BEAUTIFUL husky for the animal shelter and may want to adopt him. I've been accepted to SGU for August but don't know anything about what to do for housing if I have pet. Is it strongly encouraged to not have pets during school? Is it strongly encouraged to stay on campus your first term (in which I couldn't keep this dog)? What is it like traveling to Grenada with a pet? Would it be difficult o find off campus housing? What does everyone recommend? Please let me know all your insight about the matter!
  2. sbrdvm

sbrdvm SGU SVM c/o 2015!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Most first term students do stay on campus but their are a few off campus and as each term goes on more and more move off campus. I do have my dog with me here and I love her being here with me. There are a lot of places that allow pets. Traveling with a dog isn't that hard. On my flight from Miami to Grenada I would say that there was at lest 50 dogs. Really. Every row on the plane had at least one dog. SO lot of people do bring their dogs with them. As far as the dorms go I am happier off campus, but I had the horrible roommate situation on campus and off campus my dog is my roommate and she doesnt care what I do as long as she get food and 3/4 of the bed.
  3. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How big is your dog? Mine would be a husky so he would be too big to be on the plane. He would have to go under it. How pricey is that and what regulations are there with bringing your dog? What steps are involved?

Despite the bad roommate do you think the living on campus was very beneficial? Would it be just as easy for someone living off campus to learn where the classes are? And for making friends?
  4. sbrdvm

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My dog is 12-15 lbs now she was 6 lbs when we flew (a puppy). We had a labs, huskys, 50-70 lbs dogs on the plane with us. Each airline is different, you can find it all on there webpage. The only plus to living on campus was that you could wake up 5 min. before class and be to class on time, but I get up early anyways. All you classes are pretty much in one classroom. With the exception of a few lab. You will have orientation and PAWS right before classes start and you will meet you 80 new best friends there and get tours of the campus and the island. As long as you make yourself available to make friends you will be just fine living off campus.
  5. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I actually may no longer be bringing this dog. As it turns out, my foster dog is on a long list of potential adopters.
    Is it absolutely required to live on campus your first term? I'd love to just meet some cool people and find a sweet house or something.
  6. BadgerBookworm

BadgerBookworm

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm currently trying to adopt a cat and want to bring him with me (yes the sphynx in my picture:)). But I most definitely want to live on campus the first term...is it hard to find the off campus apartments that allow pets after the first term?
  7. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think it's hard. Students graduate every term, and some just move somewhere else, and a lot of students have pets. I think it wouldn't be hard to find a pet friendly place in January for your second term, if you were to stay in the dorms your first term in August.
  8. Aprzy32

Aprzy32

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi Zpearl,
    I've just been accepted to SGU DVM program as well. I was also wondering about bringing my dog down with me. Have you figured out where you're going to live in terms of on or off campus yet? I feel like everything is so overwhelming since the school is so far away and you can't just go there to look for housing haha.
  9. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    have you accepted or are you still deciding? if you've accepted, the FB group for aug has plenty of people on it will be able to give you some suggestions/advice
  10. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've decided to live on campus first term. It'll help me meet people and figure out were everything is. SGU is very helpful in helping you find off campus housing if you decide to do that. They can give you information about the properties, distance from campus, and best of all, they have a list of approved landlords. If you can leave your pet at home for a semester, I would just start looking for houses after one term in the dorms, but if not, they can definitely help you out. Also, the upperclassmen are very helpful too. Most of them can be reached on the Facebook group for the Aug. Incoming class.
  11. Hotfillyky

Hotfillyky

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I am considering an application to SGU but I have a few questions first. Does anybody know whether exotic birds are allowed in Grenada? I have a CAG that I would want to bring with me. I have emailed Jeffery Bates but have not heard anything back yet.
  12. sbrdvm

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It is very hard to get exotic animals of any kind into Grenada. There is a fostering program set up with the exotic club where you can have a turtle or bird to care for while your on the island and then when your away for the summer/winter break someone else will watch after it. It is best to keep your exotic at home with some one
  13. Wildflower2012

Wildflower2012

Pre-Veterinary
    Ok this is a little random, but do any of you know of someone that may have brought a hedgehog down with them? I'm guessing that they are likely not on the list of species approved for import into Grenada but was hoping none the less. I would hate to leave my hedgies at home with my BF as it would basically mean I wouldnt see them much for the remainder of their lives. Does anyone know about special circumstance permits or anything like that? For example one of my hedgies has had a hysterectomy so would prove no danger IF she ever escaped (which I think is generally the main consideration for importing exotics). Any info or advice on who to ask these questions would be great. I havent been accepted yet but have my interview tomorrow and am very hopefully (fingers crossed!!!) :D
  14. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    one thing to keep in mind when thinking about trying to import pets is whether or not you could travel with them on an airplane, and whether or not they could handle/survive the huge stress burden associated with flying, even if it was in the cabin with you. also, supplies are going to be limited to non-existent for exotics. make sure you're doing whats best for your pet and not just yourself :) i have a guinea pig and while i hate leaving her home and i know shes very sad and lonely without me, i know she would HATE flying even if i could find an airline carrier to accept her and even if i could get her into the country. food and bedding would also be an issue and i'd have to ship things (very very expensive).
  15. Wildflower2012

Wildflower2012

Pre-Veterinary
    Your totally right, but my hedgie given a dark comfortable carrier to hide in would sleep the flight away. I already bring her with me on road trips so she won't stay home alone and she handles travelling well. She eats cat food as well and only 1tbs a day so it wouldn't be that difficult bringing her food, her bedding consists of a bunch of pollar blankets and her cage is easily dismantled and stored. So I've done a lot of thinking about it and think that IF im allowed to bring her down it would be best for her. Though obviously I'm sure I'll have more insight on this once I spend my first semester there myself (if I get in!)

I'm actually more scheptical about bringing my cats down.. Not sure they would like the heat. Does anyone have experience bringing a cat down?
  16. Hotfillyky

Hotfillyky

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, my CAG would not do well left at home without me. She was sick and an owner surrender baby and I added her to my fam and nursed her back. She means too much to me to leave behind.:(
  17. deg5030

deg5030 SGU c/o 2016 :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm actually more scheptical about bringing my cats down.. Not sure they would like the heat. Does anyone have experience bringing a cat down?[/QUOTE]

One of my classmates flew 4 of hers down and a few others have brought theirs. Most of them i believe do well, the biggest thing is the heat embargo and getting them there. There are a few different companies... amerijet as well as if it is just one, finding an airline that allows them in cabin (most have a limited number per flight)
  18. dachshunddiva

dachshunddiva

Pre-Veterinary
    I have three dogs, two under 15lbs and one 45lbs. Would I be able to take all three of them to vet school with me? Does Grenada have housing that will allow three indoor dogs? Thanks!
  19. fromthebox

fromthebox SGU DVM/MPH 2017

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You would have to live off campus, and find a landlord willing to take 3 animals. I don't think it's impossible to do, but you would have to do the leg work for it.
  20. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    are you coming down with a second person when you bring them? to my knowledge you cant bring more than 2 animals on a plane per person
  21. Danes90

Danes90

Pre-Veterinary
    Hello,
    Does anyone know here if its possible to bring a Dane on a plane going down to SGU?
    I am curious to know since my Dane has to come with me once I am accepted.
    Thanks,
    D
  22. MonkeyPoo

MonkeyPoo Awesome Member

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There was a student that had a dane here, im pretty sure she bought a seat for him tho.
  23. HowIMetYourPet

HowIMetYourPet

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm glad I found this thread!! These were questions I was hoping to ask!!

I have 3 dogs I have to bring to vet school with me, and a 4th I would like to bring if I could. 2 of the "must' 3 are Havanese (and subsequently will do GREAT in the heat, seeing as their grandmother was imported from Cuba ;) ) but the 3rd is a 12 year old shih-tzu....she's been through the world with me, has one eye (due to a fight between her and my mom's dog, my Coco was the victim) and is blind in the other due to cataracts. I'm worried about how a somewhat-brachiocephalic dog would do in the heat down there.....but due to her age I realize she may not live through my entire stint in vet school, and I can't bear the idea of losing her when I'm not there....any opinions?
  24. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    how are you getting these dogs here? 3 animals seems like an awful lot for airline allowance...

i think as long as you're prepared to run your a/c 24/7 and deal with very expensive bills, your brachycephalic will do just fine. you're probably looking at a several hundred dollar a month electricity bill. if you can, try to look for some place that is "newer" so that the unit is more energy efficient.

have you found a house or apartment that will allow 3 dogs? pet friendly is more difficult to find, and pet friendly for 3 animals will definitely be more challenging (not impossible, but challenging).

i think you need to seriously consider the amount of stress that you will be putting on your older dog. flying is an extremely stressful event for any dog. new house will be stressful, new environment will be stressful, and you needing to be gone for class and studying a ton will be stressful. just some stuff to really consider. i understand that leaving her and all that would be terribly difficult, but just make sure you really do have her best interests at heart when you make your final decision.
  25. acmorr2

acmorr2

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi! These are a lot of the same questions I have been concerned about. I have 2 cats I really want to bring with me. Does anyone know if they are allowed in the dorms? Also, anyone know about pricing?? My dad looked it up, and he said it was $4,000 per cat. But that seems a bit extreme to me.

Thanks for the help!
  26. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    NO pets in dorms.
    $4000?? where did this come from and in what context?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal