About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Pets at vet school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by scswimmer123, Jul 21, 2007.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. scswimmer123

scswimmer123

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I know a lot of people have said that if you have a pet during vet school you can do certain things on it (procedures or what not). I was just wondering if the vet schools allow pets in the dorm rooms?
  2. thelarson

thelarson MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    From my understanding, most vet students don't live in dorms. Many don't have dorms for vet students, and those that do have "graduate student housing", which, at least at Michigan State, have singles the size of closets and do not allow pets.
  3. scswimmer123

scswimmer123

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    so do most vet students live in apartments
  4. silverelf

silverelf Tufts Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    depends....some live in apartments, some rent houses, some own houses, some live with relatives.......it really varies depending on what you want to do, but you're on your own for the most part, there are very few university-associated housing choices, and its not like undergrad where you will automatically get sorted into a dorm, you have to figure it out yourself
  5. CookieBear

CookieBear

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    The grad housing for vet students at KSU only allows fish tanks, no other pets. :eek:
  6. chris03333

chris03333 Veterinarian

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Forget about where vet students live, I find it quite disturbing that you would get a pet so you can "do certain things on it (procedures or what not).":scared:
  7. Spartanvet4cows

Spartanvet4cows MSU CVM Class of 2010

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    No kidding.....the most I do to my cats is palpate muscles and bone processes and such for anatomy. I'm not going to do a "procedure" on them!
  8. pressmom

pressmom Third year!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I learned to draw blood on my dogs, but I wouldn't consider that a painful procedure. (I also learned on one of the vet's retired show dogs. Very good dog for jug sticks!) Also another vet taught me a little palpation on my dog. But I wouldn't dream of doing any more than that!
  9. Pennvet

Pennvet Goldmember

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

hahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!

Do you want to turn your dorm into a practice OR?

I hear that vet students are often convinced to adopt. Now I know why! Swimmer is going to be a surgeon by the time he/she finishes Undergrad!

Your poor pets. Lol.
  10. rexosaurus

rexosaurus CSU PVM c/o 2012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    perhaps swimmer meant that if you do have pets, and for some reason or another it needs a surgery/treatment/hospitalization.... that as a vet student you get reduced cost treatment for your pets and/or get to participate in the procedure? (Remember that swimmer seems a bit inexperienced and this actually is a good place to learn and ask the questions we're all afraid to ask.)
  11. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Despite all the derision from others, this is in fact true. I've heard that in the UC Davis "clinical skills" classes, for instance, students are asked to bring in their pets so that everyone can learn to do a standard physical exam - feeling for various internal structures, listening to heart/lungs, checking ears and eyes, etc. I don't know whether they go as far as drawing blood or urine samples or things that are more invasive.

It's not like you *have* to have a pet in order to get into vet school, though. If you don't have a pet, or can't (or don't want to) bring it to class, then you just learn on somebody else's. All of my cats, for instance, are *terrified* of car travel, strangers, and being restrained, and I think it would actually be pretty cruel to haul them in to school as practice animals. But that's OK, because there are people like pressmom with mellow pets that I'll be able to learn on. :D

And swimmer, part of the reason you got the reaction you did is that "procedure" as a medical term usually refers to something invasive - an aspiraton biopsy of a tumor, removing a cyst from the skin, extracting a foxtail from the ear... not major surgery but things that often require sedation at least if not full-on anesthesia. I'm guessing you meant "procedure" in a less technical sense, and intended to include things like learning to do a physical exam. Just chose the wrong word, that's all.
  12. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat

Veterinarian
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thx you rexo...i agree.
  13. rexosaurus

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  14. animalallergy

animalallergy

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys,
    speak for yourself. I love my DougDoug (cat) but he is a bad little spoiled kitty who eats my clothes. so guess who is getting the first rectal when i learn!!! he is sitting on the desk right now. not only that, he hates the vet and turns into a devil when he goes. thus he hasn't gotten a proper check up since he was neutered (and if he wasn't neutered yet, i would be the first one on the list to chop off his little....for his little "problems") thus guess who is volunteering their pet when people need practice on difficult animals!! OSU students, prepare to meet DOUGLAS. As a side note, Petey the Petrified plays dead during checkups, so he is the simplest animal to do, so you can practice on him too.
  15. rexosaurus

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hahahahahaha, you have me rolling! :laugh:
  16. flokemahe

flokemahe ISU DVM 2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh this is perfect!!! I've been looking for an excuse to get a goat, and maybe a mini horse and a mini donkey. Ooh, how about a trick pony? I'd get a big feather for his forelock. They can sleep in the garage. In addition to being great for practice for myself & my classmates, they can mow my lawn and provide fresh road apples for my dogs to roll in! Finally I can justify my petting zoo! You don't think the neighbors will mind, do you??:D

scswimmer123, to answer your question: like everyone else said most vet students (in fact most grad students) live off-campus. Whether you can have a pet depends on your lease & whether you think it's right for you. We have 2 cats & 2 dogs... but I really do want a goat! ;-)
  17. silverelf

silverelf Tufts Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i miss my goats so much!!! i've been secretly plotting to clear all the stored crap out of my barn so i can get milkers again ;)
  18. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    As a casual browser in this forum, I found this quite humorous. Don't know why...but seems kind of sadistic.
  19. animalallergy

animalallergy

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If my boyfriend was a student it would be....he hates my douglas (who is the little guy in my picture)...