pets to carribean med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontraditional1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional pre medical student that will probably end up going to a carribean medical school. This may sound like a silly question....but I have a 2 yr old dog that I love. Will it be impossible to take care of her while im in med school. Are most island campus small enough to allow going home for a quick lunch?
Thank you in advance for any comments on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into the logistics of bringing a pet abroad? The regulations/fees you have to pay? Can your pet ride with you in the cabin or is the dog too big? I brought a cat with me from Japan. The process was tedious and a huge PITA. I also don't care to stash my pet with the luggage under the plane in the hands of people who, frankly, don't give a damn about your dog. Pets don't travel as well as people do. If your dog is a small breed, is in good health, and can fit in a carrier under the seat, then go ahead. If not, I would leave the dog at home.

It's going to depend on the island most likely, there might a lengthy quarantine involved, three months in some places. Airlines are notoriously crappy for flying with dogs, especially if the dog can't ride in the cabin with you. I've read about a lot of horror stories about dogs dying on planes. There are a couple really good websites on different countries rules for bringing in pets, fraid I can't remember them of the top of my head.

As for time on lunch break, it's going to depend on the school and curriculum, what year you are and all of that.

But I have a better idea. Rather than helping you figure out the logistics of brining your dog to the Caribbean, how about you give us more info about yourself and your background and we help figure out the logistics of helping you avoid having to go there at all?

It's just not a sound way to get a medical degree these days. It's too expensive with too low a likelihood of being able to snag a residency slot. There just aren't enough to go around.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your
Have you looked into the logistics of bringing a pet abroad? The regulations/fees you have to pay? Can your pet ride with you in the cabin or is the dog too big? I brought a cat with me from Japan. The process was tedious and a huge PITA. I also don't care to stash my pet with the luggage under the plane in the hands of people who, frankly, don't give a damn about your dog. Pets don't travel as well as people do. If your dog is a small breed, is in good health, and can fit in a carrier under the seat, then go ahead. If not, I would leave the dog at home.

It seems like way to much effort. I guess I can place her in a good home, if the islands are where i end up.

It's going to depend on the island most likely, there might a lengthy quarantine involved, three months in some places. Airlines are notoriously crappy for flying with dogs, especially if the dog can't ride in the cabin with you. I've read about a lot of horror stories about dogs dying on planes. There are a couple really good websites on different countries rules for bringing in pets, fraid I can't remember them of the top of my head.

As for time on lunch break, it's going to depend on the school and curriculum, what year you are and all of that.

But I have a better idea. Rather than helping you figure out the logistics of brining your dog to the Caribbean, how about you give us more info about yourself and your background and we help figure out the logistics of helping you avoid having to go there at all?

It's just not a sound way to get a medical degree these days. It's too expensive with too low a likelihood of being able to snag a residency slot. There just aren't enough to go around.

I am 46 years old. I have been a practicing chiropractor for nearly 20 years.
Cumulative gpa:(over 400 college credits) 3.4
Pre-req science gpa: 2.9
MCAT (taken in 1997 and no longer acceptable)

Taking MCAT in November.
I plan on only applying to a carribean schools because of poor academic performance.

I am 46 years old. I have been a practicing chiropractor for nearly 20 years.
Cumulative gpa:(over 400 college credits) 3.4
Pre-req science gpa: 2.9
MCAT (taken in 1997 and no longer acceptable)

Taking MCAT in November.
I plan on only applying to a carribean schools because of poor academic performance.

Somehow your poor academic performance will be overcome in the Caribbean's sink-or-swim environment? People like you are their bread and butter for making profits. Someone who hasn't shown the ability to succeed in a high pressure environment thinking that things will be different when they get to medical school. The fact that your only concern about going to the Caribbean is whether you can take your pet or not is concerning. Retake a couple pre-reqs that you did the poorest in at a community college and use the DO's grade replacement policy. Don't do the Caribbean no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
thank you for your

It seems like way to much effort. I guess I can place her in a good home, if the islands are where i end up.

It is a lot of effort, but more importantly you should about what's best for the dog. I've heard about what sort of treatment animals get when handled as mere luggage by airliners. I'm assuming your dog isn't small enough to fit under the seat. In that case, it is better to find the dog another home.

On another note, you should really consider DO over the Caribbean. Retake those pre-reqs, do well in them, and apply broadly to DO schools. And, on the bright side, you may not have to give your dog away if you go DO. You could just take a road trip together, and you won't have to deal with the whole boondoggle of quarantine and import regulations.

Somehow your poor academic performance will be overcome in the Caribbean's sink-or-swim environment? People like you are their bread and butter for making profits. Someone who hasn't shown the ability to succeed in a high pressure environment thinking that things will be different when they get to medical school. The fact that your only concern about going to the Caribbean is whether you can take your pet or not is concerning. Retake a couple pre-reqs that you did the poorest in at a community college and use the DO's grade replacement policy. Don't do the Caribbean no matter what.

Im not worried about my success once i am in med schoool. I took 35+ hours per Trimester(not semester) in chiro school. It was very fast paced high pressure environment and extremely difficult. Aced part 1,2,3 of the national boards. Passed TX and FL state boards as well.
It is not the medical curriculum i am worried about...i had nearly the exact same medical school coursework in chiro school.
Its "getting in" as an older student, with average pre-req scores...that concerns me.
Not at all worried about passing the MD coursework.

I have 4 friends whom are DC's and in various medical programs...based on similar experiences, and they all are doing well in their respective rotations and residencies.

You mention that my only concern is the dog....hardly....it was just a question i posed to the forum, because more likely than not, I will be leaving the comfort of the states and end up down there.

Finally, if I end up going the carribean route, it would not be by first choice....Im just realistic about my chances in US allopathic schools.

Reactions: 1 user
It is a lot of effort, but more importantly you should about what's best for the dog. I've heard about what sort of treatment animals get when handled as mere luggage by airliners. I'm assuming your dog isn't small enough to fit under the seat. In that case, it is better to find the dog another home.

On another note, you should really consider DO over the Caribbean. Retake those pre-reqs, do well in them, and apply broadly to DO schools. And, on the bright side, you may not have to give your dog away if you go DO. You could just take a road trip together, and you won't have to deal with the whole boondoggle of quarantine and import regulations.

Many people suggest going to a DO school stateside instead of trying the FMG route. For me personally, MD is the top of the totem pole in regard to healthcare providers.
I have a great patient referral relationship with many DO's in my current practice. They have the exact same scope of practice as MD's. I admire and respect them.
For me personally, it makes no sense to go the DO route when I already perform manipulation.
It would be like a chiropractor with a script pad.
Im looking MD only and have accepted the fact the US MD schools wont give me second look.
Hence, the carribean option.

what can i say....i am a dog lover.
it was just a question.

The oh lord was in reference to everything else. Eschewing DO because you "already know" manipulation. Your desire to add the correct letters to your name. Your desire to do what you currently do but "with a script pad."

Many people suggest going to a DO school stateside instead of trying the FMG route. For me personally, MD is the top of the totem pole in regard to healthcare providers.
I have a great patient referral relationship with many DO's in my current practice. They have the exact same scope of practice as MD's. I admire and respect them.
For me personally, it makes no sense to go the DO route when I already perform manipulation.
Im looking MD only and have accepted the fact the US MD schools wont give me second look.

Residency directors won't see the Caribbean MD as being top of the totem pole. In fact, I'd bet that all of them will take a DO over a Carib MD any day of the week. If you're that concerned doing what's best for your career, then you wouldn't even hesitate to go DO if the alternative is Carib MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the DOs I've known (small sample size) never performed a manipulation after graduating. You can choose not to, it's not mandatory once you're practicing. And DOs get access to both the MD and DO residency slots. Carib MDs get access to very, very few residency slots.
If you get a DO, you'll be a chiropractor with a script pad.
And if you get an MD, well... you'll be a chiropractor with a script pad... how does this shoe not fit?

What kind of dog is it, and are you still in FL? I've been thinking about getting a dog and would rather adopt than buy from a breeder. Bona fide pet lover here; my pets are my children.

As for the rest of your "plans," well, you have clearly already thought of everything, so I won't bother you with other suggestions.

What kind of dog is it, and are you still in FL? I've been thinking about getting a dog and would rather adopt than buy from a breeder. Bona fide pet lover here; my pets are my children.

As for the rest of your "plans," well, you have clearly already thought of everything, so I won't bother you with other suggestions.

im in texas now...it is a rat terrier/chihuahua.

I was looking into med schools in Ireland a few years back, and the quarantine for pets was up to six months. There's no way I'd subject my little doggie to that. Please do the right thing and find yours a good home.

it seems that the topic of taking a pet to the islands has changed into a semi debate between foreign MD vs DO in the states.

first of all. i did not mean any disrepect at all to those who are DO physicians or are osteopathic students. i also agree that DO get better residency options vs foreign MD.

just for me personally as a DC in practice for 2 decades...ive seen how allopathic providers view non allopathic providers. i am not saying that this is good or bad...just my personal experience. speaking only for me, it would be much easier to gain credibility in the medical world as a MD/DC, rather than a DO/DC.
i am sure DO is a greath pathway for many.....it is just not what i would like to do.

thank you for all of your responses....and to get back on topic....i will probably leave my dog here with someone.

I was looking into med schools in Ireland a few years back, and the quarantine for pets was up to six months. There's no way I'd subject my little doggie to that. Please do the right thing and find yours a good home.

thank you so much for your response...
i didnt realize the steps necessary to take a pet with me...
she staying with a family member or friend.
i have about six months to enjoy her before i go.
thanks again for your input.

Most of the DOs I've known (small sample size) never performed a manipulation after graduating. You can choose not to, it's not mandatory once you're practicing. And DOs get access to both the MD and DO residency slots. Carib MDs get access to very, very few residency slots.
If you get a DO, you'll be a chiropractor with a script pad.
And if you get an MD, well... you'll be a chiropractor with a script pad... how does this shoe not fit?

very well said. lol. never thought of it that way.

very well said. lol. never thought of it that way.

The medical part of MD and DO is the same. You might not want to generalize what the DOs near you have experienced from MDs as what all DOs experience. If you life in Texas there are a ton of MD schools there which means there might not be a ton of DOs around to give the MDs experience with these providers to change any stereotypes they might have. At other places, in other areas, no one cares whether your MD or DO. I work at one of those bug names places that foreign dignitaries come to for their medical care. We have plent of DOs working here.

You already seem to have your mind made up, but please realize that in 2016 there are expected to be more US med school grads than residency slots. That's going to kill the chances for most foreign grads to get a spot.

The medical part of MD and DO is the same. You might not want to generalize what the DOs near you have experienced from MDs as what all DOs experience. If you life in Texas there are a ton of MD schools there which means there might not be a ton of DOs around to give the MDs experience with these providers to change any stereotypes they might have. At other places, in other areas, no one cares whether your MD or DO. I work at one of those bug names places that foreign dignitaries come to for their medical care. We have plent of DOs working here.

You already seem to have your mind made up, but please realize that in 2016 there are expected to be more US med school grads than residency slots. That's going to kill the chances for most foreign grads to get a spot.

ty wholeheartedly.
the anticipated residency shortage of 2016 does concern me...no doubt.

and after reading some of the posts here....i may not really have a grasp of how the matching system works. many have said here that residency directors will take a US DO over a Foreign MD all day. is this really the case?
how would i research this?

thank you in advance for your reply.
it would suck totally to go away for 2 years to an island...then come back and bounce around the US for rotations... pass Steps...and end up getting a less than desirable FP/IM residency...or not one at all.

ty wholeheartedly.

and after reading some of the posts here....i may not really have a grasp of how the matching system works. many have said here that residency directors will take a US DO over a Foreign MD all day. is this really the case?

it would suck totally to go away for 2 years to an island...then come back and bounce around the US for rotations... pass Steps...and end up getting a less than desirable FP/IM residency...or not one at all.
Yup, that would suck. Match rates for DOs are currently much higher than IMGs. That's only going to get more pronounced.

Yup, that would suck. Match rates for DOs are currently much higher than IMGs. That's only going to get more pronounced.

hmmm. plus DO school have their own hospital system. do all clinical rotations on site...
thanks jonnythan. let me see what I do on MCAT...maybe a stateside school is within reach.
i also realized the irony of me complaining that allopathics discriminate on other providers and here i am doing the same towards the idea of DO.
when in reality, once one is a DO and licensed with the same scope of practice...would i really care at that point.
looks like me being a chiro and my personal experience has strained my thinking on the topic.
thanks again for being respectful.

ty wholeheartedly.

It's not the two years on the islands or bouncing around for rotations that would suck. It's the amount of debt you'll have with a high likelihood of not being able to get a position as a physician.

Here's a description and example of how the match works in general: http://www.nrmp.org/match-process/match-algorithm/

then a specific example: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Run-A-Match.pdf

But the bigger problem than the low match rate of FMG's is that Caribbean students have a hard time even getting to the point of applying to the match.

The schools are designed with a high attrition rate to make the school's numbers look good. The schools advertise a good boards pass rate and match rate, but the statistics are inflated because they screw with the denominator. A lot of students fail out before they take boards, others aren't allowed to take boards until the school thinks they can do well, and others aren't allowed to apply for the match if the school's don't think they can match. So yeah, of the people who are allowed take boards, the pass rate is decent. But of the students who start med school, that rate does suck. Of the people allowed to progress to the match, yeah, the numbers aren't great, but not abysmal. But out of the number of people who started carib. med school who actually match into residency programs, it is abysmal.

Of those who start in US MD programs, and I don't have numbers for DO schools but would imagine it's similar, less than 5% of medical students don't graduate. That's a big difference.

It's not the two years on the islands or bouncing around for rotations that would suck. It's the amount of debt you'll have with a high likelihood of not being able to get a position as a physician.

Here's a description and example of how the match works in general: http://www.nrmp.org/match-process/match-algorithm/

then a specific example: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Run-A-Match.pdf

But the bigger problem than the low match rate of FMG's is that Caribbean students have a hard time even getting to the point of applying to the match.

The schools are designed with a high attrition rate to make the school's numbers look good. The schools advertise a good boards pass rate and match rate, but the statistics are inflated because they screw with the denominator. A lot of students fail out before they take boards, others aren't allowed to take boards until the school thinks they can do well, and others aren't allowed to apply for the match if the school's don't think they can match. So yeah, of the people who are allowed take boards, the pass rate is decent. But of the students who start med school, that rate does suck. Of the people allowed to progress to the match, yeah, the numbers aren't great, but not abysmal. But out of the number of people who started carib. med school who actually match into residency programs, it is abysmal.

Of those who start in US MD programs, and I don't have numbers for DO schools but would imagine it's similar, less than 5% of medical students don't graduate. That's a big difference.

thank you for the links.
i really appreciate your help. i have spent the last 6 months dedicating my life trying to fulfull a dream ive had for a long time. there is a DO school right here in Ft Worth TX. Universtity of North Texas COM.
we also have UT Southwestern SOM in Dallas TX.
i never really thought i would have a shot at either one.
i take the MCAT this fall.
i been getting consistent 29-32 on multiple practice MCAT.
my VR performance is lacking....but its getting better each week.
i am shooting for a realistic 33+ on the actual test....i wonder if that will get me a look at some MD/DO schoolsl here?
thanks again.

Those are nice practice scores so far. :thumbup:

If you feel comfortable, can you give us a bit more info? maybe break it down by undergrad cumulative gpa, undergrad science gpa (not just pre-reqs but all science) then the same for post-graduation gpa? activities, employment volunteering, clinical experience? Was there a trend of improvement in your grades over time? Did you retake any courses you did poorly on? DO school's allow for grade replacement, so if you took the same class for a better grade, they only count the second grade to your GPA calculation, but MD school's count both the initial and the retake.

Look at the 2014 residency match statistics. You're making the right choice by avoiding the gamble of foreign medical schools (should your goal be to practice in the US). See the first PDF link on this page: http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

Of all the 2014 US citizen IMGs, only 53% matched. Apply to your state MD school and a variety of DO schools and if everything else is in order, then the good news is you can stay stateside with your pup.

Look at the 2014 residency match statistics. You're making the right choice by avoiding the gamble of foreign medical schools (should your goal be to practice in the US). See the first PDF link on this page: http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

Of all the 2014 US citizen IMGs, only 53% matched. Apply to your state MD school and a variety of DO schools and if everything else is in order, then the good news is you can stay stateside with your pup.

what happens if you do not match your first PGY1?

Hey man I want to give you some advice. When you go through Caribbean you will be considered an IMG, a international medical graduate. My wife is an IMG (not caribbean), and the road we had to go through for her to get residency was harsh. Going to the Caribbean is a hail mary and shouldn't be done unless it is under the most desperate circumstances. For matching purposes the following is how it goes.

Allopathic > DO >= IMG > Caribbean

You will be the last to be considered, unless you somehow managed to destroy the Step 1, but lest be realistic. You will probably be average. Out of all the IMG friends my wife has of roughly 10, only 3 got a residency spot. Imagine how much more sparse it is for a Caribbean grad?

Your stats are not bad enough to justify running off to the islands. You can land DO easily and get a quality education.

So someone coming from Ross or SGU is considered an IMG as well?

Hey man I want to give you some advice. When you go through Caribbean you will be considered an IMG, a international medical graduate. My wife is an IMG (not caribbean), and the road we had to go through for her to get residency was harsh. Going to the Caribbean is a hail mary and shouldn't be done unless it is under the most desperate circumstances. For matching purposes the following is how it goes.

Allopathic > DO >= IMG > Caribbean

You will be the last to be considered, unless you somehow managed to destroy the Step 1, but lest be realistic. You will probably be average. Out of all the IMG friends my wife has of roughly 10, only 3 got a residency spot. Imagine how much more sparse it is for a Caribbean grad?

Your stats are not bad enough to justify running off to the islands. You can land DO easily and get a quality education.

Thank you very much for your vote of confidence.
I thought I had no chance in US schools.
If I keep up with the review and practice, practice, practice and practice test some more under the same or very similar conditions....I should be able to get low to mid 30's on the MCAT.

If that will just get me an interview stateside....i am sure my social skill set and 20 year track record as a chiropractic doctor will help me.

Thanks again.

I would think that caribbean grads have a better shot at residency that IMG. no?

Thank you very much for your vote of confidence.
I thought I had no chance in US schools.
If I keep up with the review and practice, practice, practice and practice test some more under the same or very similar conditions....I should be able to get low to mid 30's on the MCAT.

If that will just get me an interview stateside....i am sure my social skill set and 20 year track record as a chiropractic doctor will help me.

Thanks again.

Medical experience will help you, but if you're interviewing at MD schools I would tone down the chiropractic element of your experience. The practice is not held in the highest regard (at least not when used in lieu of other more evidence based treatment) in the MD circles.

^^
Though it would probably play well for DO.

Medical experience will help you, but if you're interviewing at MD schools I would tone down the chiropractic element of your experience. The practice is not held in the highest regard (at least not when used in lieu of other more evidence based treatment) in the MD circles.

thank you for the advice...I should have said 20 years life experiences...
you are not the first person to advise downplaying chiropractic....i totally agree with you.
I can only downplay it so much as it is a huge part of my transcript.

But I certainly will not be making small talk about it in interview, med school, rotations, and residency.

Appreciate your advice.

^^
Though it would probably play well for DO.

yeah, i believe it would help greatly in the DO school interview.
but by and large... i will keep my prior career to myself while in school, just like anyone else.
im sure the other students wont elaborate on what they used to do.
thanks again;

you are not the first person to advise downply

you are not the first person to advise downplaying chiropractic....i totally agree with you.
I can only downplay it so much as it is a huge part of my transcript.

But I certainly will not be making small talk about it in interview, med school, rotations, and residency.

Appreciate your advice.

I would emphasize it in the context of your motivation to enter medical school and limitations you've encountered in treating patients effectively during your practice. i.e. "I want to expand my abilities to treat patients, something I've done in my limited capacity as a chiropractor for the last 20 years", not "I want to be able to write scripts to make my chiropractic practice more effective."

I would emphasize it in the context of your motivation to enter medical school and limitations you've encountered in treating patients effectively during your practice. i.e. "I want to expand my abilities to treat patients, something I've done in my limited capacity as a chiropractor for the last 20 years", not "I want to be able to write scripts to make my chiropractic practice more effective."
you are absoulutely right.
i have been limited in scope and i am absolutely ready to do every last thing necessary to become a competent, confident and compassionate physician.
i will jump through all the hoops gladly.
i am all in.

I would think that caribbean grads have a better shot at residency that IMG. no?

No. IMG many times have worked as a physician in their own country before coming to the USA. They have practical experiences. If you are a Caribbean student with an American citizenship then you are going to have to fight against the stigma of not being able to get into an MD or DO program. That looks really really bad.

No. IMG many times have worked as a physician in their own country before coming to the USA. They have practical experiences. If you are a Caribbean student with an American citizenship then you are going to have to fight against the stigma of not being able to get into an MD or DO program. That looks really really bad.
interesting....

No. Residency PDs are aware that US citizens who go to the Caribbean are there because they weren't able to gain admission to a US school. They're the least competitive applicants from the American applicant pool. In contrast, international physicians seeking to come to the US tend to be the best students in their respective applicant pools, with many graduating at the top of their classes from prestigious med schools in their home countries. They still have a very uphill battle to get licensed to practice in the US.

If you want to practice in the US some day, the best option, by far, is to attend and graduate from an American or Canadian MD/DO school, and then complete an American residency program. Attending Caribbean schools is like speculating on junk investments. A few people people will get lucky, a minority breaks even, and most lose their shirts.

You should go look up the match list for TCOM and compare it to the state MD schools. You won't see much of a difference.

You should go look up the match list for TCOM and compare it to the state MD schools. You won't see much of a difference.

I live in fort worth. I just checked out their match list 2014. I would be happy to have any of those residency positions.
After much re-consideration...I will apply to all Texas state schools and TCOM first, then other DO schools, and lastly one or two schools in the islands.

I am going to have to rock the MCAT to get an interview...I am confident that if I get in front of the right person, that I can be offered admission.
And lots of prayers.

I live in fort worth. I just checked out their match list 2014. I would be happy to have any of those residency positions.
After much re-consideration...I will apply to all Texas state schools and TCOM first, then other DO schools, and lastly one or two schools in the islands.

I am going to have to rock the MCAT to get an interview...I am confident that if I get in front of the right person, that I can be offered admission.
And lots of prayers.

I am glad you are considering DO now. Very smart decision in my opinion. Personally, I would never go to the Caribbean. I can't justify the risk. I'd would rather not go to med school than go to the Caribbean. Would rather spend a year taking classes to make myself more desirable. Not only are they expensive and have low match rates, but also do you actually want to live in a third world country? Away from everyone you know (and your dog). Further, from my understanding (and I may be wrong), a lot of these schools have inflated match and step scores because if you aren't that good of a student or aren't scoring high on practice step scores, they won't let you take the steps or finish school. So, the step scores are not representative of the school but of the schools best (or better) students. And the cherry on top is that the residency spots are getting scarce.

And your GPA isn't bad, a decent MCAT score and you should be set. Have you repeated any classes? Because the DO schools will ignore your first grade, so your GPA could be higher. I really think you shouldn't even apply for Caribbean, I don't see a reason for you to. You have the grades for DO. The risk is too high here. Do you really want to risk moving to a foreign country, lose your dog, and come back here do your rotations, finish med school at 51 and end up with no residency match and either $250,000 out of your pocket or $250,000 in debt? 4-5 years of your life, tons of money, for nothing? That is why I will never ever consider doing Caribbean. Just my 2 cents.