Pets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelseyjosine21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pets while in grad school? I live in little old Fargo, ND and I'm working on my undergrad degree full time and working full time, I have a year and a half left. But I have 3 ferrets and I'll be applying to PsyD programs not PhD and there are none in ND so I'll be going far, far away from home. So I was wondering if anyone was able to have pets while they were in school? Obviously I'll have to live off campus but I can't imagine getting rid of them. Oh another thing, the closest PsyD program is at Argosy in the Twin Cities, MN. I was reading though to avoid those schools, anyone had any experience with them or info? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, of course can, but I suppose it just depends on the apartment you live in. My wife and I have a dog. Most apartments require a deposit, or something similar, if you have pets. A few dont allow them at all, but that's fairly rare.

Yes, stay away from Argosy and Alliant and all that stuff. Read the threads about these various programs and threads about Psy.D programs in general.

Last edited:
There are threads on most schools over in the clinical forum section, if you wanted to find other people's opinions about various schools. As for pets....just look around, there are plenty of places that allow for pets (within reason).

Members don't see this ad :)
I specifically adopted my cat Zimbardo in order to deal with the stress of grad school. I had to move three times this year and managed to find places that allowed cats. It can be done, you just have to look harder and be prepared to pay a lot.

I just want bring my guinea pig with me (or, depending on how far in the future I get accepted, a guinea pig), so hopefully places will be accomodating.

:confused: Of course you can have pets. I have a cat, and many of my classmates have dogs and other animals.

i have 2 rabbits! They traveled thru undergrad and now grad school with me. You just have to be reasonable about things such as: making sure there is someone to feed them around!

All I meant by that was are most people able to make the time? Ferrets are more like dogs than anything else because although they can be on their own they do require bonding time. It's not something you can stick in a cage. So I wasn't sure if people had time for that or not but it's good to know that somehow time is made for these things! Thanks guys!

There's a girl in my program who has 4 or 5 ferrets and they seem to do just fine. Honestly it's all about priorities. I know that after a long day at school if I want to go out for dinner I have to stop at home first and throw some food at Zim. If you get more than one ferret they'll play with each other and be fine.

I have three parrots... They are SO MUCH work, but I couldn't imagine life without them-- spending with them is a wonderful way to relax. I can barely look at them without laughing; they are so funny. They require a ton of attention and they are extremely messy, so a lot of cleaning is involved. I got them while I was in my Masters program-- they hang out with me while I do my work for school. :hardy:

^ I have parrots as well.

And- rabbits are quite a bit like dogs and ferrets as well- no cage and need bonding time.

Members don't see this ad :)
african grey, lilac crowned amazon, sunconure, cockatiel

:) grad school wouldnt be the same without pets.

this is all good to hear. i think i might have to bring my beagle and lab with me this fall...and maybe the two orange tabbies as well.

I just googled it because I thought ferrets were illegal in all of the US but apparently it's state-by-state. They are illegal in CA and NY, among others I think. Anywho, just keep that in mind if you're trying to transport them! I'm sure you'd be fine if you drive.

Hey!
I work as a receptionist at an animal hospital, and I'm just throwing this out there so you know. You will need a health certificate from a veterinarian to travel by car, plane, train, ect. Where I work this amounts to a 15 minute exam, the animal has to be up to date on all vaccines, and then we will fill out a state issued set of paperwork that needs to be signed by the veterinarian.

Just letting you know- I know people who have brought animals to the airport and then been horribly suprised when they didn't have a health certificate!

Wait, you need one when travelling by car? My sister used to bring her guinea pig from Illinois to Wisconsin without one.

As far as ferrets go - you straight up can't bring them on planes, trains, or buses. At least you couldn't in '05. I had to catch a ride with my moving man 'cause I didn't have a car. Oh, and I didn't get any kind of certificate, but I did have their health records which showed they were up to date on shots.

Actually I'm pretty sure you can bring them on planes, not sure about buses or trains, BUT they have to be kept in the cargo hold w/other pets. Ferrets are very susceptible to heat stroke and will die if kept in the cargo hold. So yeah I guess you're right, no ferrets on planes haha.

Does anyone have any pets while in grad school? I live in little old Fargo, ND and I'm working on my undergrad degree full time and working full time, I have a year and a half left. But I have 3 ferrets and I'll be applying to PsyD programs not PhD and there are none in ND so I'll be going far, far away from home. So I was wondering if anyone was able to have pets while they were in school? Obviously I'll have to live off campus but I can't imagine getting rid of them. Oh another thing, the closest PsyD program is at Argosy in the Twin Cities, MN. I was reading though to avoid those schools, anyone had any experience with them or info? Thanks.

Argosy schools are not all the same, so I would be sure that the one in MN has a good reputation before applying. I know there has been some talk of some of the Argosy schools credibility.

Also, I wouldn't fret having 3 ferrets. It's your significant others you ought to worry about. That's an entirely different story altogether!

I hope I get into a school nearby the NYC area, but most of them are very competitive. I didn't go well on the GRE's, so I applied to Alliant just in case because they didn't require me to report the scores. My fiance is a social worker and we've been living together for years, and I really don't want to make him move to California with me, but I really want to be together. I no matter what want to be back here (I love my apartment and life here), but if I have no choice but to spend a year in Cali and then transfer (and take a shot at the GRE again)- I may have to go alone, rent a studio, and fly back to NYC as much as I can. Then there's my cats. It's probably best that Toby and Link (my adorable cats) stay in New York, but I have a special history with Toby. When he was a baby I (irresponsibly) adopted him while I was still living in a dorm in college. He has moved all over with me through my academic ventures, and he is the sweetest cat ever. My fiance and I would probably both want the cats. I don't even want to feel like this is a consideration- having to leave my life!

I worry about this myself. I have a small dog who just doesn't do too well when left alone for long periods of time. During my undergrad she'd either be with a friend of mine or alone for no more than a couple of hours. Then I moved and had a roommate who had a cat, they kept each other company, but still not for long periods. So I wonder how realistic it would be for me to bring her. Even if I lived close enough to campus that I could stop by every few hours.

How do people with DOGS manage their schedule? I just CANNOT imagine not bringing her.

So I actually have a 1-year old dog and I am so excited at the prospect of bringing him to grad school with me! (hoping I get in, that is) And especially if I end up going somewhere that is in the middle of nowhere, I think it'd be nice to bring along some familiar company.

I'm very lucky that my dog is the way he is.. He only needs to go out to use the bathroom 3 times a day. I'm a full-time RA currently so I wake up and take him out at 8 am, then when I get home at 5:30 pm, and then again before bed around 11, and he is just fine and dandy on that schedule. And there isn't any type of feeding schedule he's on.. I just leave food and water in his bowls and he eats when he wants to.

He doesn't do too much during the day when he's home alone, just sort of lies around and looks out the window, but when I get home I make sure I give him good attention and play with him and such and it's been working perfectly with my schedule so far.. I guess I am lucky though. And I think/hope in grad school, I will be able to maintain a similar schedule with him. I do feel bad when I haven't been home all day, and then I come home real quick just to let him out, and then I have to run off again when I have to meet friends or go out for dinner etc. But I would much rather have this companion than not!

:) grad school wouldnt be the same without pets.

i want a bunny or two so so badly, but it just wouldn'tmake sense right now--4hr roundtrip commute, tiny NYC apt.=not enough time or space for the beasties. someday!

^ now I am considering internships and they will travel with me!

How do people with DOGS manage their schedule? I just CANNOT imagine not bringing her.

I got my standard poodle while I was a 2nd year in grad school. She was only 8 wks and my fella had a long commute so it all fell on me. Let me tell you, that was hard! (since I had to come home and let her out during lunch because of her wee little bladder)

But she's 3.5 now and it is WAY easier. I probably have more time with her than most people do since I do a lot of work from home.

I adopted Jeb, a boston terrier, last summer. Outside of classes and pre-prac, I always bring him with me to the office when I'm working. He's great and the other people in the office love him :)

it's hard though when I go to conferences and am gone like 4-5 days. But, I have friends who are eager and willing to take care of him for those days.

I have a 1 year old jack russell. NOT the optimal breed for grad school, she has sooooo much energy. But I absolutely adore her and my husband and I couldn't leave her. I figure as long as we end up somewhere that we can easily walk her things will be fine. That will keep me getting my exercise too :)

I just got a boxer puppy for the sole reason of taking her to grad school with me. I'm so glad I did! Already, she keeps me calm when I'm freaking out about getting in to grad school and preparing for interviews. She's so chill and very adaptable to whatever situation I put her in. She loves her toys and watches TV, so I just keep that on for her while I'm gone. I have no doubt that she will be fine when I'm in school. She's only 4 months old now and she's great while I'm gone to school or working in the lab.

My 18 month old goldendoodle (cross of standard poodle and golden retriever) is a major mood-lifter! He's so fluffy and energetic, and reminds me that there's more to life than grad school! My kids also love him a lot.:D

I have had my ginormous (25 lb.) Persian mix for 16 years and don't think I could leave her behind when I go into a PhD program next fall. It would be too difficult, especially since she probably only has a few more years left so I want to spend the rest of that time close to her.

My 18 month old goldendoodle (cross of standard poodle and golden retriever) is a major mood-lifter! He's so fluffy and energetic, and reminds me that there's more to life than grad school! My kids also love him a lot.:D

Awww I love goldendoodles. I have a tiny version of those - a maltipoo. In a perfect world I'd get a goldendoodle to stay home with my baby (she does much better with another dog around and loves the big ones).

Awww I love goldendoodles. I have a tiny version of those - a maltipoo. In a perfect world I'd get a goldendoodle to stay home with my baby (she does much better with another dog around and loves the big ones).

Yes Matipoos are cute! My goldendoodle was only supposed to be about 50 lbs fully grown when we got him as a puppy. Surprise! He turned out to be 75lbs and stands as tall as the kitchen table.:laugh: Just more to love!

Jack Russell's are the bestest. Sure, we're a bit crazy, but, we love our humans.

Sincerely

Tildy the Jack Russell.:D

Edit: IMHO, we're quite attractive too!

Tildy you are so cute!!! You look just like my little Maggie May!!! :laugh:

Tildy you are so cute!!! You look just like my little Maggie May!!! :laugh:

LOL, mine is Maggie too, but she's a Maggie Maria!!! :laugh: (although her friends call her Maggie Waggie) :laugh: