pfm vs all metal crowns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmasurf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard that with some insurances if the patient is approved for an all metal posterior crown its fraud to insert a PFM. is this true? aside from certain criteria and reasons why would insurance think its fraud to give the patient a more esthetic insertion.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily true. For instance I prior authorize a pfm on a second molar and the ins co down codes it to a full metal crown because they don't cover pfm on second molars ( insurance bureaucracy bs). Basically I and the patient have three choices. 1. Do the pfm for what the insurance allows (no additional charge to the patient ) 2. Inform the patient their insurance will only cover the amount for full coverage and the will be responsible for the additional fee to do a pfm.
3. Do a full cast crown. None of these examples are fraudulent. However, if I prior authorize a full cast gold (high noble) crown that in my office carries a higher fee (due to lab costs) and perform a non precious metal crown or any crown of lesser fee with the intent of deception. Then it would be considered insurance fraud.