PGY-1 Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had a presentation every week for the past 4 weeks and tons of other projects. Residency has officially kicked in.

Ready for the weekend as I have one tomorrow wish me luck I'm trying to make it to tomorrow evening :p

Good luck to you, I will be up all night working on assignments smh! Have a good weekend too :)

Members don't see this ad.

Almost 1/4 the way thru!:thumbup: Every month I look back and am slightly amazed at what I'm doing/getting done. Very crazy but rewarding year this is turning out to be

Almost 1/4 the way thru!:thumbup: Every month I look back and am slightly amazed at what I'm doing/getting done. Very crazy but rewarding year this is turning out to be

:thumbup:

It's going by amazingly fast. I'm really enjoying it and feel very lucky to have obtain my position. I just got done with my first rotation, and I loved it. I got a glowing review from my preceptor which was surprising. I dunno, I guess I always feel like a stumbling idiot, but it's nice to know I don't come across that way. I decided I'm definitely doing a PGY-2, so I get to live the joys of the match and all that jazz again! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
This all reminds me of immunology and red queen theory related to alice in wonderland:

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place".

I've noticed no matter how fast I run, the projects continue to pile. I finish one and five more appear :thumbdown:

This all reminds me of immunology and red queen theory related to alice in wonderland:

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place".

I've noticed no matter how fast I run, the projects continue to pile. I finish one and five more appear :thumbdown:

I started to feel that this week. Sigh. I like marking stuff off my to-do list, but I can't keep up! :p

OT, how did you get the PHARMD badge?!

Oh. I don't want to disclose who I am. :p Thanks anyways!

How goes it everyone? How's staffing? Been on any codes? How's current rotation?! I'm super stressed out. The rotation I'm on has me all over the place. Projects are stacking up. Getting nervous about staffing and ACLS. I'm also going to sign up for PPS, updating my CV, getting my loans in order. Sigh. I need like a weeks vacation to catch up.

How goes it everyone?
Taking it a day at a time

How's staffing?
Easy breezy. I'm by no means good yet, but I'm to the point I can stay afloat while staffing.
Been on any codes?
No, thank god. I need to study acls like weekly to get it to being thoughtless but I never make/have time.
How's current rotation?!
Busy. Always. Its been ages (seemingly) since I stepped foot into retail, but it seems like paradise lost right now.
I'm super stressed out. The rotation I'm on has me all over the place. Projects are stacking up. Getting nervous about staffing and ACLS. I'm also going to sign up for PPS, updating my CV, getting my loans in order. Sigh. I need like a weeks vacation to catch up.
Incredibly, I'm not signing up for PPS. I'm hoping this doesn't backfire on me. Shooting for another year of training. I hear ya about the vacation. Terrible part is I have more vaca than I know what to do with but no time at any point during the year to take it due to res obligations. Yuck.

Taking it a day at a time

Easy breezy. I'm by no means good yet, but I'm to the point I can stay afloat while staffing.

No, thank god. I need to study acls like weekly to get it to being thoughtless but I never make/have time.

Busy. Always. Its been ages (seemingly) since I stepped foot into retail, but it seems like paradise lost right now.

Incredibly, I'm not signing up for PPS. I'm hoping this doesn't backfire on me. Shooting for another year of training. I hear ya about the vacation. Terrible part is I have more vaca than I know what to do with but no time at any point during the year to take it due to res obligations. Yuck.

Someone that did a PGY-2 said that PPS was required for those applying to a PGY-2? :confused:

I guess I should ask around. I figured that if a program is interviewing for a PGY-2 spot at PPS, that means they didn't early commit. I have a lot of vacation days as well. I'm going to take time off around Christmas. I'm unsure after that. I kind of want to save it, so I can cash out when/if I leave.

PPS is not a requirement to apply for PGY2.

Some programs may still want to meet with candidates, but it isn't an absolute.

PPS is not a requirement to apply for PGY2.

Some programs may still want to meet with candidates, but it isn't an absolute.

Thanks for the info, KARM! I think I'll still do it though. I heard a lot of people say it was helpful. Plus, I don't want to navigate through that mess of a showcase. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, KARM! I think I'll still do it though. I heard a lot of people say it was helpful. Plus, I don't want to navigate through that mess of a showcase. :scared:

Agree it is a good way to show your interest. There are benefits to doing it.

Went to look up some PGY-2 programs for next year. I saw that the devil phorcas opens up October 28. Yipee... I'm dreading this process all over again. :p

So, I'm updating my CV and trying to get all this stuff ready before phorcas opens up. I guess it's time to start taking stuff off my CV that I did in pharm school. I want to stay <4 pages. For those that took stuff off, how far back are you removing items (presentations, community service, etc.). I think I'll remove all P1 year stuff for sure. I'm thinking of taking everything off except for P4 year.

I took off all my school rotations and left on only major clinal presentations during school. I have several new presentations to add anyways. Left on my work experience at a retail chain in school.

I think I'll leave my P4 rotations and just leave the major presentations. I took out a lot of other stuff. I was thinking though, when/if we get a PGY-2 (for those planning on it), we could pretty much take out all pharmacy school stuff right? I was looking at the examples on ACCP's website. The PGY-2 example kept their rotations from P4 year. Their CV was 7 pages long. How long should a PGY-2's CV be for those with experience? I'm trying to keep mine no longer than 4 pages at the moment.

It seems like most of you are doing inpatient residencies? What are some of the barriers that you are starting to face as residents (timeliness, communication skills, etc.)?

My program is a community based program and I just got my quarterly eval. I'm a bit disappointed in the feedback that I received, but I can't tell if it's just me being a new resident or if it's the fact that my program is brand new and everyone is trying to figure things out. So I wanted to see where you all stood to kind of compare myself (especially if there are any community residents out there too). I've been getting a lot of mixed signals. I know I'm not doing a bad job (they reinforce that every time I mention it..."No, you're doing just fine!" or "Stop talking like that, you're being silly."), but I feel like all I get is negative feedback instead of positive. I came out of my quarterly eval feeling like my ass just got handed to me and then some. I'm a hard working, dedicated individual who never half asses anything. It's just starting to wear on me, although I've mentioned this to the individuals precepting me time and time again. Anyone in a similar situation? I've been thinking about what could be causing this and I'm not sure if its because the pharmacists I'm with didn't do a residency and I'm concerned that there might be some lingering issues with that. I'm also concerned that they view me as a practitioner that's been out in the field for longer than what I have been on some days. Their expectations of what knowledge I have is quite bipolar and rarely consistent. And finally, there's always that lingering worry in the pit of my stomach that makes me wonder if I'm not doing a good job.:confused:

Maybe I just over think things. Maybe I just need to sleep more. Or maybe it's already time for a vacation? Do we even get those? :p

Also, I'm noticing that a lot of pharmacists really do think I'm still a student. As a matter of fact, one of my preceptors continuously calls me an intern, even after I correct them about it. There are times when I feel like I'm not being treated like a pharmacist and I also feel like I'm expected to take other's thoughts and opinions even though I'm able to use my own judgement and form my own thoughts and opinions. Has anyone dealt with this barrier and if so, how did you overcome it?

Overall, I think I do enjoy my program. It definitely lines up with my career goals and I'm toying with the idea of a second year residency. I signed up for PPS, just because I've been told it is a great place to practice interview skills and who knows what job opportunities will come of it?

Sorry for the long, needy post.

Happy Residency Year!

It seems like most of you are doing inpatient residencies? What are some of the barriers that you are starting to face as residents (timeliness, communication skills, etc.)?

My program is a community based program and I just got my quarterly eval. I'm a bit disappointed in the feedback that I received, but I can't tell if it's just me being a new resident or if it's the fact that my program is brand new and everyone is trying to figure things out. So I wanted to see where you all stood to kind of compare myself (especially if there are any community residents out there too). I've been getting a lot of mixed signals. I know I'm not doing a bad job (they reinforce that every time I mention it..."No, you're doing just fine!" or "Stop talking like that, you're being silly."), but I feel like all I get is negative feedback instead of positive. I came out of my quarterly eval feeling like my ass just got handed to me and then some. I'm a hard working, dedicated individual who never half asses anything. It's just starting to wear on me, although I've mentioned this to the individuals precepting me time and time again. Anyone in a similar situation? I've been thinking about what could be causing this and I'm not sure if its because the pharmacists I'm with didn't do a residency and I'm concerned that there might be some lingering issues with that. I'm also concerned that they view me as a practitioner that's been out in the field for longer than what I have been on some days. Their expectations of what knowledge I have is quite bipolar and rarely consistent. And finally, there's always that lingering worry in the pit of my stomach that makes me wonder if I'm not doing a good job.:confused:

Maybe I just over think things. Maybe I just need to sleep more. Or maybe it's already time for a vacation? Do we even get those? :p

Also, I'm noticing that a lot of pharmacists really do think I'm still a student. As a matter of fact, one of my preceptors continuously calls me an intern, even after I correct them about it. There are times when I feel like I'm not being treated like a pharmacist and I also feel like I'm expected to take other's thoughts and opinions even though I'm able to use my own judgement and form my own thoughts and opinions. Has anyone dealt with this barrier and if so, how did you overcome it?

Overall, I think I do enjoy my program. It definitely lines up with my career goals and I'm toying with the idea of a second year residency. I signed up for PPS, just because I've been told it is a great place to practice interview skills and who knows what job opportunities will come of it?

Sorry for the long, needy post.

Happy Residency Year!

Sorry to hear your experience has been so up and down. I guess you never know what feedback you're going to get. I always notice one person may think I'm doing awesome and another person may think I could do better. You just never know. All I can say is to keep trying your best. Ask for constant feedback like what can you do to make yourself better (if you're not already).

Getting gifts from your students at the end of a rotation :soexcited: #precepting

Pfft. Bribing you for a good grade. Put them on the kiss butt list! Just kidding! I'm so excited to start actually working with students in a couple of weeks, so I'm super jelly (not about the gift)! :laugh:

So, I was doing laundry and decided to flip through AJHP. At the very back it talks about improvements to phorcas, which answered some questions that I had. I thought I'd share for those dreading this process again:
1) only pharmacy school transcripts are required to complete the application process (yay!)
2) reference writers will not need to upload any documents
3) PGY1 to PGY2 programs will have data carry over
4) reviewers already in the system will carry over to the next year
5) NMS match numbers will appear will appear on the program's selection portal
6) direct links to expedite communication with applicants
7) new application deadline dates will automatically be updated

Phorcas opens up October 28th! I'm definitely going to get an early start this year. :)

So, I was doing laundry and decided to flip through AJHP. At the very back it talks about improvements to phorcas, which answered some questions that I had. I thought I'd share for those dreading this process again:
1) only pharmacy school transcripts are required to complete the application process (yay!)

Phorcas opens up October 28th! I'm definitely going to get an early start this year. :)

:thumbup:

I thought most of the changes sounded good. Especially the TRANSCRIPT one. I cannot even discuss how horrific that was for me last year. Sending in 5 transcripts where no one cared about 4 of them was ridiculous.

All I can say is that I am at a serious low point. I'm exhausted and tired of getting up at 4:30 am and then working all day til I go to bed.

I thought most of the changes sounded good. Especially the TRANSCRIPT one. I cannot even discuss how horrific that was for me last year. Sending in 5 transcripts where no one cared about 4 of them was ridiculous.

All I can say is that I am at a serious low point. I'm exhausted and tired of getting up at 4:30 am and then working all day til I go to bed.

Yes, I feel the same way. I was actually like getting mad at the thought of having to send in all my transcripts again but I saw this and was really happy.

I'm sorry to hear it's going rough. Seems like everyone is really starting to get worked. Soon, you'll be half way done though!

I'm super stressed out... I need like a weeks vacation to catch up.

Please excuse a lowly pharmacy student for intruding into this thread, but I'm considering doing a residency and after reading these statements I'm wondering/a bit worried about the sort of time commitment involved. I consider myself a pretty diligent and dedicated person and I'll put in whatever hours are necessary to meet my obligations once I've committed to them, but it's also important to me to have enough time to myself to keep physically and mentally healthy. One of the primary reasons I chose pharmacy over medicine was that the hours are generally more reasonable, and I guess I (naively?) expected that pharmacy residencies would also have significantly less demanding hours than medical residencies, aka 40-50 hrs/week rather than 60-80.

...All this to ask, how many hours per week do you guys typically put in for your residencies? What do you think the normal hours required for pharmacy residencies are, and how much variability in that is there from one program to another?

Please excuse a lowly pharmacy student for intruding into this thread, but I'm considering doing a residency and after reading these statements I'm wondering/a bit worried about the sort of time commitment involved. I consider myself a pretty diligent and dedicated person and I'll put in whatever hours are necessary to meet my obligations once I've committed to them, but it's also important to me to have enough time to myself to keep physically and mentally healthy. One of the primary reasons I chose pharmacy over medicine was that the hours are generally more reasonable, and I guess I (naively?) expected that pharmacy residencies would also have significantly less demanding hours than medical residencies, aka 40-50 hrs/week rather than 60-80.

...All this to ask, how many hours per week do you guys typically put in for your residencies? What do you think the normal hours required for pharmacy residencies are, and how much variability in that is there from one program to another?

This will vary from program to program. Rule of thumb is to go to a VA residency for QOL. I can tell you that I'm easily hitting 80+/wk. I usually run 12 hour days at the hospital M-F + take home, weekends, and staffing. This is to pharmacy school as pharmacy school was to undergrad. Think long and hard about your career goals and apply wisely (if at all).

As mentioned previously, it varies significantly between programs.

I typically work about 45 hours a week. However, when I work the weekend, I do not get a day off that week. That easily brings my hourly total for those weeks up to 60-65 hours. I work one out of every three weekends, so I don't think it's that bad of a deal.

While I have worked at a VA in the past and agree that their programs generally have good hours, there is a VA program nearby that has their residents working 14 days in a row. I work 11 or 12 in a row when it's my weekend.

I enjoy being busy and being challenged, but I am thankful that my program allows for a fair amount of time away from work. I think that I am able to learn more if I have time to rest than if I would be working 80+ hours a week.

It has varied for me. I think the lowest I put in was around 40 during a few orientation type weeks. On my last rotation which was an ambulatory clinic it was about 40-50 (not counting bringing work home...just hrs in the hospital). Now that I'm on an internal medicine rotation I'm putting in about 70-75 hrs a week at the hospital. I also work every 3rd weekend and do not get days off to compensate so I end up going 12 days straight. My weekend shifts are 11am-9pm so that gets a bit tiring too. I also bring work home a lot. The actual part of prepping for rounds, rounding with the team, following up with PK, etc probably takes from about 6am-3pm everyday. I then have many other meetings, seminars, teaching class, etc that usually suck up a few hours everyday and then I also have about 5-8 things on my to do list at anytime (presentations, monographs, research, etc)

It has varied for me. I think the lowest I put in was around 40 during a few orientation type weeks. On my last rotation which was an ambulatory clinic it was about 40-50 (not counting bringing work home...just hrs in the hospital). Now that I'm on an internal medicine rotation I'm putting in about 70-75 hrs a week at the hospital. I also work every 3rd weekend and do not get days off to compensate so I end up going 12 days straight. My weekend shifts are 11am-9pm so that gets a bit tiring too. I also bring work home a lot. The actual part of prepping for rounds, rounding with the team, following up with PK, etc probably takes from about 6am-3pm everyday. I then have many other meetings, seminars, teaching class, etc that usually suck up a few hours everyday and then I also have about 5-8 things on my to do list at anytime (presentations, monographs, research, etc)

I swear we must be at the same program:laugh::(

I would say I normally put in 45-50 hours a week. I staff every 4th weekend and I get days off during the week to compensate, so I don't work 12 days straight like some of my fellow residents. I'm really happy at my program, and I'm very happy that I did a residency. I plan to do a PGY-2 though, so I'm worried what's it going to be like to have it ramped up.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I still have a while to go before I need to decide if residency is something I'm going to do or not, but I wanted to get an idea for this. It is definitely one factor I will be considering to decide if I'm doing one (and if so, where, since it does sound like there's a lot of variability).

Thanks for the responses guys!

I still have a while to go before I need to decide if residency is something I'm going to do or not, but I wanted to get an idea for this. It is definitely one factor I will be considering to decide if I'm doing one (and if so, where, since it does sound like there's a lot of variability).

I would ask residents at programs you are interested in how many hours they work. It really does vary between programs. The weekend requirement is also critical-the more weekends you have to work does add to the stress. I am at a large academic medical center and put in 70-75 hours just on site (Monday-Friday) not counting the extra work I do at home. We also work every other weekend so are always working 12 days straight.

I would ask residents at programs you are interested in how many hours they work. It really does vary between programs. The weekend requirement is also critical-the more weekends you have to work does add to the stress. I am at a large academic medical center and put in 70-75 hours just on site (Monday-Friday) not counting the extra work I do at home. We also work every other weekend so are always working 12 days straight.

I think a nice round about way of approaching the question is to ask the residents if they feel they have adequate time to review literature or if they are learning the most on a hands on basis. I don't know if its me trying to rationalize through my cognitive dissonance, but the more I practice, the more I feel that hands on experience gives you the ability to make practical recommendations while literature can sometimes leave you with ambiguous answers. I'd shoot for a program that you feel is somewhere in the middle so that you aren't entirely devoid of practical experience but also not coming out knowing only "insert your institutions name here" based medicine.

I have no idea how it is possible to work 40-45 hours during residency. I literally work around the clock. Usually get to the hospital at 6 or a little before and routinely do 12+ hours and as soon as I get home I have to continue to work on all the peripheral stuff I have to get done. My program also does 12 days straight with q3rd weekend staffing 12h shifts. We do not get a day off to compensate. It's much MUCH worse than rotations and pharmacy school, but I knew that coming in. There are definitely programs in my area that are very laid back, but I feel like you get out what you put in. One of my friends said he just tells his preceptor he has a flag football game and he gets to leave:scared:. I think we would literally get cut if we did that at my program.

I have no idea how it is possible to work 40-45 hours during residency. I literally work around the clock. Usually get to the hospital at 6 or a little before and routinely do 12+ hours and as soon as I get home I have to continue to work on all the peripheral stuff I have to get done. My program also does 12 days straight with q3rd weekend staffing 12h shifts. We do not get a day off to compensate. It's much MUCH worse than rotations and pharmacy school, but I knew that coming in. There are definitely programs in my area that are very laid back, but I feel like you get out what you put in. One of my friends said he just tells his preceptor he has a flag football game and he gets to leave:scared:. I think we would literally get cut if we did that at my program.

I think this is also true to some extent at my program. I get there around 6am and try to leave by 5pm so I can see my kid and when I leave I'm usually the first to go and my co-residents are still there. But they generally do little work at home preferring to stay at work and pound it out in our office. I think it would NOT fly to use flag football as a reason to leave.

I did look at some programs that work every other weekend and that can be rough. I did every other this past month (due to a switch with a co-resident) and it was a long haul to be working 12 on/2 off/12 on/2 off. I also interviewed at one place that was every 4th weekend with a day off to compensate. So it definitely varies and depends on what you can live with. I knew I couldn't live with q2 weeks so I only ended up applying to those that were q3 weeks.

On a funnier note, I had this ResiTrak evaluation today that said my objective was something along the lines of...managing stress while balancing responsiblities to self, relationships, and practice...I can't remember the exact wording. I laughed and considered commenting...I will continue to work to manage stress without going crazy or strangling someone.

Today sucked. I was bouncing from different facilities, and I just felt like I was not performing where I wanted to. It was the start of the new rotation, there are students on this service, and I guess I didn't know if I should chime in or give the students a chance to answer. Blah. I need to pick it up.

Is PPS mainly for PGY2 or is it for a job?

Both, PPS is not mandatory but gives you an edge as you get to meet with your job prospect/PGY2 face-to-face, which will determine if you get an interview or not. One thing to note (especially PGY2), however, is that although they are "interviewing" at PPS, they may already have a candidate that has yet to decide if they want to "early commit" for that program. So if someone at that site decides to do it, then you are SOL. That's one of the drawbacks of PPS as it doesn't guarantee you anything... however, with this in mind, I think it's still important to get as much face time with your company/hospital that you may potentially want to work for in the future...

As they say... pharmacy is a small world and getting to know more people will only benefit you...

Today was horrible, and I just feel like I did everything wrong. Sigh. :(

Today was horrible, and I just feel like I did everything wrong. Sigh. :(

Hang in there, We definitely have our GOOD and BAD days. I had a mental breakdown just last week *sigh...it's not easy being a Resident but we will get through it and appreciate it all in the end...Hopefully lol :)

PPS opened, and I'm trying to get interviews set up. I'm getting flashbacks from last year. I hate this application process, and my mind is like RUN AWAY! lol

Anyone else applying for PGY2? Did anyone early commit yet?! I was thinking of starting a new thread for those of us applying for PGY1/PGY2. :)

Anyone else applying for PGY2? Did anyone early commit yet?! I was thinking of starting a new thread for those of us applying for PGY1/PGY2. :)

Me! Me! Me! No early commit options here, although I am speaking to my first residency program via phone tomorrow to get my foot in the door.

Pertinent hashtags:

#deargodwhyamidoingthistomyself #overacheiver #imgoingtobepoorforever #imustlovemyjob

Me! Me! Me! No early commit options here, although I am speaking to my first residency program via phone tomorrow to get my foot in the door.

Pertinent hashtags:

#deargodwhyamidoingthistomyself #overacheiver #imgoingtobepoorforever #imustlovemyjob

:laugh:

Good luck! I've been doing some networking as well. I hope everything works out for you. I hope this process isn't as bad as it was last year, but we shall see!