PGY-2 swap / transfer in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverliningsplaybook

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a current PGY-2 psych resident and I have struggled to be happy in my program. But, the "fit" is just not there...there is a lack of supervision, support, and team work amongst resident class...to the point that I dread going to work every day and have trouble falling asleep at night. No one has brought up my work performance as being an issue but I feel like I am weighed down by my own anxiety/dissatisfaction toward my training. My friends from college and medical school have all been consulted; they do feel like it is the time to approach my PD regarding my feelings. I am wondering if anyone can advise or offer a swap/transfer position to consider. Currently, I do not feel bound by any specific location but either the Northeast (to NC), Midwest, or West coast (Washington to Cali) would be preferable.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Finding a PGY-III position can be difficult. Since it sounds likely that you have already decided to leave, I suggest you work on your stated reason for the transfer. I’m sure your post isn’t what you would say in an interview, but if there were some hint of it that would be harmful to your chances. Here is what you need to sound like:

“My last program was wonderful; I think I will really miss it and everyone I worked with. If it were not for this unrelated life event that makes me need to live near your equally terrific training program, I would have been glad to have stayed.”

Just my suggestion, the pool of residents looking to transfer is full of externalizing disaffected residents who have failed to recognize their own internal reasons for their failure to get along with their peers. Not that this describes you of course, I don’t know you, but I do know the pool and what makes directors hesitant. Good luck and I hope things get better.

Reactions: 3 users
pgy 3 switch is difficult....pgy 4 and pgy 2 are more abundant...try that residency swap site....u may find someone who wants to transfer to your location. u may luck out and a program added a pgy3 slot....one idea is to contact all the programs as some openings may not be advertised....another option could be to quit and transfer as a pgy 2...either this year or next.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finding a PGY-III position can be difficult. Since it sounds likely that you have already decided to leave, I suggest you work on your stated reason for the transfer. I’m sure your post isn’t what you would say in an interview, but if there were some hint of it that would be harmful to your chances. Here is what you need to sound like:

“My last program was wonderful; I think I will really miss it and everyone I worked with. If it were not for this unrelated life event that makes me need to live near your equally terrific training program, I would have been glad to have stayed.”

Just my suggestion, the pool of residents looking to transfer is full of externalizing disaffected residents who have failed to recognize their own internal reasons for their failure to get along with their peers. Not that this describes you of course, I don’t know you, but I do know the pool and what makes directors hesitant. Good luck and I hope things get better.

You have to be honest with yourself though. There are some programs that are truly crappy with supervision and being able to secure enough faculty. When site visits from ACGME come, they manage to put together faculty, but at other times, it's an intern carrying 15+ patients with no supervision or anyone like a PGY2. You feel overworked and feel like you are just moving meat and writing notes. There are programs where this happens, they simply don't have enough faculty.

With reference to getting along with people, you can't assume that the whole pool of those applicants have personality issues that make them not blend well with others, if they have not had issues their whole life with making friends and getting along with people, and they have issues now, you can't just blame it on the trainee's. Not saying you're entirely wrong, I'm just saying you should entertain that possibility as well.

Not all programs are created equally and sorry to say this, but programs that are FMG heavy are typically the programs where funding and teaching related problems take place. Similar with some DO residencies as well. Residency shouldn't just be all about scutwork, it should be a humanistic experience where you learn how to manage patients, you are still a trainee.

So, I have been advised and have decided to leave mid-PGY2 year. I am having trouble finding possible transfers/availabilities for January 2016 or July 2016 (no-reply emails to residency coordinators of residencies known to take "1 or 2" PGY2's). Should I sign up for residency swap.org?