PGY1 applying to a range of programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moisturize

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a P4 who is looking to apply this Fall for my PGy1.

Many of the posts advise applying to a range of programs to improve your chance of matching at a program. I'm afraid to ask a stupid question but I'm not sure how to tell if my list is varied enough as recommended.

I read that top programs are usually academic centers. But is that the only criteria? I'm afraid my list is mostly "reaches" without enough mid-level programs.

Does anyone have a set of criteria they use to ensure that they have a good range of programs or maybe how to stratify programs into tiers?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

"Reaches" don't necessarily have to be academic centers, just programs that are "popular" among applicants (e.g. a lot of your classmates applying, a lot of people at the booth at Midyear). For example, Mission Hospital in Asheville NC isn't a "big academic medical center", but the am care focused residency there is pretty famous and gets over 40 applicants per spot most years. The "safety" programs will typically be smaller programs in or around your state which you don't see that many of your classmates applying to, or that don't have a lot of interest at Midyear due to factors which you are willing to forgo to land a residency (e.g. smaller hospital, undesirable location, etc...).

That's actually a very good break down. Thank you!