Position Swap PGY1 FM in OK, wanting to swap to PGY1 IM anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing my PGY1 in FM at a University Program in Oklahoma. I would like to switch to Internal Medicine as I have had a change of heart in what specialty I want to do. I've already spoke with my PD and they're willing to support me. I'm just trying to find a IM position now instead of having to apply to the match again in fall. If interested send me a message.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just seek a PGY-2 position in IM that is open or will be open after the scramble. You should be only contracted for 1 year. You can get a PGY-2 spot for June 2014 that most likely will open up in March.

Why don't you just seek a PGY-2 position in IM that is open or will be open after the scramble. You should be only contracted for 1 year. You can get a PGY-2 spot for June 2014 that most likely will open up in March.
Is that even possible? I mean I'll have completed PGY1 in FM, so how could I just enter into PGY2 IM without doing PGY1 in IM? Wouldn't I have to complete a PGY1 in IM before going to PGY2? I'm not sure they'll give me a equivalent credit for doing PGY1 in FM.

Dreiko,

I am currently searching for a PGY 2 spot in internal medicine for this coming July 2014, but haven't had much luck so far. Why do you think PGY 2 spots would open up in March? I would think there would be available PGY 1 spots as programs wouldn't fill for whatever reason. Also, any additional suggestions on finding a PGY 2 spot in IM for July 2014? Thanks.