PGY2- How to prepare during PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxified

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am excited that I recently matched to a PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency. However, my site does not have the PGY2 that I am interested in, so I will likely be participating in the match again next year.

I felt prepared going into applications and interviews for PGY1 since the qualities/activities that are sought by programs are highly publicized. However, I really don't know what PGY2 programs are looking for in an applicant. I was hoping some of you could help me since I can't find much information online.

What goals should I have during PGY1 to facilitate PGY2?

How should my CV and letter of intent change for PGY2?

What are PGY2 interviews like? Similar questions to PGY1? Were there patient cases?

Any other advice?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, relax. Get started with your Pgy1 then start planning.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'd be easier to just ignore a post than respond in a negative manner to someone's honest concerns/questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I think these questions are perfectly legitimate. Realistically, one only has approximately 3-4 months to decide on a specialty and maybe an additional month to start getting prepared for midyear and applications. Hopefully someone will chime in sooner or later.

My goal was to do a PGY-2 at the start of pharmacy school, literally day 1. However, I went into my PGY-1 just trying to gain knowledge and experience. Yes, PGY-2 was in the back of my mind, but I also didn't stress about it the first couple of months. Do your rotations in the areas that you're interested in first and see if that's still something you want to do. You'll have time to prepare.

My goal was to do a PGY-2 at the start of pharmacy school, literally day 1. However, I went into my PGY-1 just trying to gain knowledge and experience. Yes, PGY-2 was in the back of my mind, but I also didn't stress about it the first couple of months. Do your rotations in the areas that you're interested in first and see if that's still something you want to do. You'll have time to prepare.

Yes, but PGY-2 is even more competitive than PGY-1 for most specialties, so I think it is something worth pondering from the get-go so one can be as prepared to make the best impression possible.

You can think about, but a lot of people end up changing their minds once they get into. I'm just saying you don't have to rush into things right away.

I mean is it really going to hurt for someone to even start their residency before thinking about it?

Hi everyone!

I am excited that I recently matched to a PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency. However, my site does not have the PGY2 that I am interested in, so I will likely be participating in the match again next year.

I felt prepared going into applications and interviews for PGY1 since the qualities/activities that are sought by programs are highly publicized. However, I really don't know what PGY2 programs are looking for in an applicant. I was hoping some of you could help me since I can't find much information online.

What goals should I have during PGY1 to facilitate PGY2?

How should my CV and letter of intent change for PGY2?

What are PGY2 interviews like? Similar questions to PGY1? Were there patient cases?

Any other advice?

Thanks so much!

I agree with everyone else. You should worry about getting your feet wet with your PGY1 first. You may change your mind about a PGY2. You never know! I wasn't going to pursue one until a week before midyear so c'est la vie.

1. Think about your PGY2 interests and formulate goals off of that. If you have an interest in am care, your goal should be as much direct patient care as possible, etc. You want to be sure you will have all the baseline skills you'll need to prepare for your specialty. PGY2 year was explained to me as "fine tuning," whereas PGY1 year is more of the basics.

2. Remove all the pre-pharm school crap unless it's really important. I didn't even include it on my PGY1 CV, but I know a lot of my friends did. Also, I took out my APPE descriptions and just titled them "Ambulatory Care - Hepatitis C" or "Internal Medicine" so that the programs could see what I have done. You'll also need to add in your residency experiences.

3. All interview experiences will be different from place to place. They were mainly assessing personality at mine, but I did have two presentations over my research and a case during my interviews. I also got some off the wall questions like " if you were a fruit, what would you be and why?"

Hope that helps!

You can't even know where you're going to apply until after Midyear because programs can decide up until late December to do early commit or not. And some places will still do PPS and then decide to do early commit so I don't really think it's worth worrying about right now. You will probably need to update your CV throughout residency for various reasons (ie doing a CE) so it really shouldn't be too much work.

Just try to gain as much from your rotations and see what you like. Keep your CV up to date, research programs, do PPS, and find 3 preceptors that can write you a good letter of recommendation. It's really not that more difficult/different than applying for a PGY-1. You're going to be doing a lot as a resident to add to your CV.

The interviews are basically the same except most will want a presentation. I had to give one at 3 of the 4 places I interviewed.

To be honest, this year was a lot less stressful than last year and I felt the process was smoother.

It's a fair thought in terms of how to prepare during the PGY1 year.
I've heard many residents say they wish they had gotten more of their clinical rotations done in the beginning so they could be better prepared for PPS and midyear. It's definitely worth mentioning if your program is flexible and will allow you to gain experiences in areas you are interested before midyear so you can decide if you want to go that route or have changed your mind. I believe one resident told me some PGY2s won't even consider you if you haven't had a rotation in that specialty. I wouldn't be so worried about the interviews and such but definitely good to think about experiences you want to gain that will make you stand out.

The two things that are important to do when a PGY1 are: do a rotation in the specialty prior to Midyear if at all possible and have your residency project relate to your specialty. Other than that it's the same as applying for PGY1 except you will be signing up for PPS because all the PGY2 residency interviews go through there.

Reactions: 1 users
The two things that are important to do when a PGY1 are: do a rotation in the specialty prior to Midyear if at all possible and have your residency project relate to your specialty. Other than that it's the same as applying for PGY1 except you will be signing up for PPS because all the PGY2 residency interviews go through there.

I definitely have to agree with this. I made sure my primary longitudinal experience was in my area of interest and that my research project was focused in that area as well. With some residencies and specialties, the research just isn't possible to be in your area of interest, so do the best that you can with what you're given, and be sure to get some experience in that area under your belt before PPS.

PPS is a must if you're going through PGY-2, IMO. You'll figure out what programs you hate, what programs you'd like to apply to, etc. I interviewed at about 20 places at PPS, just to see what was out there. It's always good to interview at a few places that are completely off your grid too. You learn a lot that way and it's great practice.

Good advice in the previous posts.
My two cents:
Most importantly don't get too carried away that you lose sight of enjoying and getting all you can out of your PGY-1. Keep an open mind to the possibility that you might find another specialty that you fall in love with, OR to the possibility that a PGY-2 is, in fact, not for you. Anything can happen.

That being said, midyear does seem to sneak up on you. come November you are applying for PPS interviews, and December you are polishing off your applications.
One of the most important things in your application will be your letters of recommendation. As you go through your rotations, start thinking about who would make a good letter of recommendation writer, and who will have the most to say about you. It's tought, because the applications are due right around the holidays, so you need to make sure you give your preceptors enough time to write the letters, especialy if you are in a big program with other students and residents simultaneously asking for letters.

When you approach someone- I suggest doing it in person, and make sure you make it clear to them that you are asking, not requesting. ASK them if they would be willing to write you a good letter of recommendation. Make sure they know they can say no. Be prepared to forward them a copy of your CV and cover letter, or statement why you want to pursue that particular specialty.