PGY2 Internal Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience as a pgy2 IM resident or if you heard or seen the experience of PGY2 IM.

I'm looking to eventually apply PGY2 in IM just not this immediate year.

Members don't see this ad.

To tell you the truth, I don't see that much benefit in these unless you're dead-set on teaching or maybe working at a large academic medical center. There are quite a few medicine positions that you can get with a PGY-1, as medicine isn't really as specialized of an area of pharmacy as something like ID or onc.

To tell you the truth, I don't see that much benefit in these unless you're dead-set on teaching or maybe working at a large academic medical center. There are quite a few medicine positions that you can get with a PGY-1, as medicine isn't really as specialized of an area of pharmacy as something like ID or onc.

I disagree, but I'm probably biased as I early committed to IM next year. Before I applied I looked at a lot of job postings to see if I would be pigeonholing myself. I saw IM PGY2s listed as preferred experience for ED, CC, ID, and obviously IM job listings. I do think these are good spots if you are interested in academia (I'm not). There is a lot of focus on teaching/precepting and a rotation in academia in my PGY2. I really like ID, but hate being a consult service, plus I find that the ID team doesn't need a lot of help with abx since that's their speciality but the IM team usually has no clue so there is a lot room for intervention. I like to have control over the MAR because there's usually multiple things that need fixed so being the primary team works best for me.

You can PM me for more details about my program if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with bacillus...I haven't seen much need for a PGY2 in IM. Most of these position with general med teams only require a PGY1.

I am currently practicing as IM pharmacist. I obtained my position at an academic medical center with PGY1 only but it might be the story of the past (many academic medical centers required PGY2 these days). I personally do not believe that you need PGY2 training for this position as most of these topics should be covered during your PGY1 training and the rest can be picked up through experience. But you have to keep in mind that these days, many PGY1 trained pharmacists and now PGY2 trained ones are on the job market, so many prestigious institutions elect to hire pharmacists with PGY2 training only. You should still be able to get an IM position at a community hospital with just PGY1. Clinical specialties that definitely need PGY2 training are critical care, oncology, and ID (in my opinion) and there are some non-clinical areas that required PGY2 training. This is very specialized knowledge that is hard to obtain just on the job training (might take you years) and patients that are a lot more complex.

Reactions: 1 user