PGY2 pathology residency transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iNKT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1 In order to get PGY2 position next year, do I need to participate NRMP match? As I remembered, it seems that in ERAS, there was a couple of PGY2 positions in some programs last year. Should I apply for PGY2 only or PGY1+PGY2?
2 Where to find the information of PGY2 positions in each program? :confused: Can I sent email to all the program director to inquire about PGY2 positions?
3 When? Do I need to start before September?
4 When to tell PD about my decision? Is there any side effect of telling that?
5 Do I need to update my personal statement ?
6 Pathology is a small field, how many potentially available pGY2 position each year? How practical the transfer is?

I'll try to answer a couple of these for you based on the transfers we had at my program.

1) You apply directly to the programs that have openings, not through ERAS. Most programs will only accept you if they have openings for the same year.
2) There's some info posted on sites such as Pathology Outlines, CareerMD, etc. Some people have even posted here.
3) You start at mutually agreed date, but my program preferred that you start on July 1. That way you're on the same cycle as everyone else.
4) The program you're transferring to will want a letter from your PD regarding your status, so there's no real way to avoid it.
5) There's no reason not to update your CV.
6) You'll find out once you start calling around. There will be an opening at your program when you leave. :p

----- Antony

There's usually a fair number of available positions for this sort of thing out there; not a -lot-, but -some-, and the program quality is variable. Every year a few spots go unfilled, some people quit, some are fired, and some transfer or change residencies altogether. If you have a good strong reason, the kind everyone understands, then transferring is not really frowned upon -- so long as the "new"/receiving institution feels like you're going to be stable until they can graduate you.

Your PD can really be a major help. There is a PD contact list available to PD's, and that could turn out to be the only thing you need. I know several who went through their PD and received several leads from them and several phone calls on their behalf, and it seemed to go fairly quickly and smoothly (had interviews within weeks and a new position lined up within a couple months). With rare exception, programs want you to start July 1st, as previously indicated.

i would start by polishing your grammar/syntax skills, pfeh!