Pharm Tech or Research Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinydoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a junior and about to apply to pharmacy school next fall.
I work as a research assistant at my university hospital but I have a pharmacy associate job offer at Walmart with the possibility for advancement to a pharmacy technician job, intern, and even pharmacist.
I currently get paid $9/ hr as a research assistant and the entry wage at walmart for pharmacy associate is $7.90/ hr and then it goes up when you become a certified pharmacy technician.
Should I accept this pharmacy associate job offer which will mean leaving my research assistant job?

Members don't see this ad.

Research. Walmart pharmacy can wait

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Pharm tech build your network now

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's important to get retail experience so you know what it may be like once you graduate (if you don't have any). More to make sure you like it and it's something you would be happy doing. Most pharmacists do end up in retail, so if you absolutely hate it, it might be no bueno.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally did both (paid undergrad research in the summer with a published paper and pharm tech experience). To be quite honest, when I did my Pharmcas essay AND my interview, I only talked about my experience as a pharm tech (although I did add the research under "publications" in the Pharmcas application, it NEVER came up throughout any of my interviews. Almost every interview was generally interested in my experience in pharmacy). Unless you 100% know you want to go into research as a pharmacist, the research is not that big of a deal when applying to pharm school.
Most interviewers want to see that you have experience in pharmacy and know exactly what you are getting into when you become a pharmacist. And Wal-mart is honestly one of the better retail stores to get connected into (WAY better than CVS or Walgreens since no drive-thru and 1 hour lunch break!! :joyful:). So it may be a great idea to get into Wal-mart because it will pay off in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally did both (paid undergrad research in the summer with a published paper and pharm tech experience). To be quite honest, when I did my Pharmcas essay AND my interview, I only talked about my experience as a pharm tech (although I did add the research under "publications" in the Pharmcas application, it NEVER came up throughout any of my interviews. Almost every interview was generally interested in my experience in pharmacy). Unless you 100% know you want to go into research as a pharmacist, the research is not that big of a deal when applying to pharm school.
Most interviewers want to see that you have experience in pharmacy and know exactly what you are getting into when you become a pharmacist. And Wal-mart is honestly one of the better retail stores to get connected into (WAY better than CVS or Walgreens since no drive-thru and 1 hour lunch break!! :joyful:). So it may be a great idea to get into Wal-mart because it will pay off in the end.

Really? WM is way better than CVS or WG? I mean im not trying to be funny here, but really? Since when? Ppl i know say avoid retail at all cost, esp WM. They are well-known for slave drivers and dont give a damn abt their employee whatsoever.

I work at CVS and we've lost plenty of techs to Walmart (though I've never worked there myself). No drive through and an hour lunch sound awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? WM is way better than CVS or WG? I mean im not trying to be funny here, but really? Since when? Ppl i know say avoid retail at all cost, esp WM. They are well-known for slave drivers and dont give a damn abt their employee whatsoever.

Walmart is hands down a way better atmosphere than CVS or Walgreens. Almost every pharmacist I have come across has said the same (and plenty of pharm techs say the same). CVS gives a 14 hr shift with no lunch break. Walmart gives a 1 hour lunch break. CVS and Walgreens have drive thru. Walmart does not. The only negative aspect of Walmart may be the type of customers (but that is just being stereotypical, there are plenty of medicaid customers that go to CVS as well).

No drive through?! What kind of walmart are you guys working at? O_O The one I work at has a drive through even though it's so freaking busy inside already.

No drive through?! What kind of walmart are you guys working at? O_O The one I work at has a drive through even though it's so freaking busy inside already.
Whoa weird your Walmart has a drive thru??? That's the first I have yet to see one with a drive thru. Anyways, the 1 hour lunch break still trumps CVS and Walgreens for sure! :cat:

Thank you guys! I decided to accept the job offer. For now, I am chasing pharmacy experience, not money. I'm ready to have fun working and network!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys! I decided to accept the job offer. For now, I am chasing pharmacy experience, not money. I'm ready to have fun working and network!
how is it working at walmart? do you like it? how are the working conditions...is conexus system user friendly?

Well as far as getting accepted into pharmacy school, I'd forget about the pay and make your decision purely based on what would look the best (and possibly networking as someone mentioned)

It seems to me that having experience as a pharmtech AND research assistant would look better than only being able to list research assistant on a pharm school application, plus pharmtech seems much more relevant to the field. That's just my opinion though

Do both if you can, do research if it comes down to it. At least with research you have a better chance of getting a different job if you choose not to go to pharm school.

how is it working at walmart? do you like it? how are the working conditions...is conexus system user friendly?
I love working at the walmart pharmacy. My coworkers are very nice. Connexus is very easy to use when you know the shortcuts.

Do both if you can, do research if it comes down to it. At least with research you have a better chance of getting a different job if you choose not to go to pharm school.
I am doing both. Thank you for your your advise!

Well as far as getting accepted into pharmacy school, I'd forget about the pay and make your decision purely based on what would look the best (and possibly networking as someone mentioned)

It seems to me that having experience as a pharmtech AND research assistant would look better than only being able to list research assistant on a pharm school application, plus pharmtech seems much more relevant to the field. That's just my opinion though
That makes sense. Thank you for the advise!

Do both if you can, I've been blessed with doing both research assistant with pharmacy technician simultaneously

If its research you want to do after you complete pharmacy school; then stay in the research position (and if possible, you can work as the pharm tech part time.)

I had a similar question! :) Hope you enjoy your time at Walmart. Are you nervous at all?