Pharmaceutical Scientist Salary...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medkid15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

Please forgive me if this has already been answered! I have been searching everywhere and have yet to find anything!

I plan on earning a PhD and becoming a Pharmaceutical Scientist in the future. Naturally I expect to make very little during my Post-Doc and entry-level positions, but should I expect to earn 90k-100k with a few years of work experince under my belt? I don't plan on working in academia, if that makes a difference at all. Everyone always tells me that PhD graduates end up poor AND unemployed and, quite frankly, that terrifies me.

Side Note: I've been told that they make low 6 figures in federal government or Big Pharm areas, but I've also been told that they make nothing at all so I was jut wondering if it was an experience/employment factor or if PhD's make less regardless.

P.S. Yes my salary is a concern because I would really love to support a family without any financial troubles. Ultimately, however, I'll likely continue down this path because this is my dream profession.

Thank you so, so much to everyone who replies!!

Members don't see this ad.

Side Note: I've been told that they make low 6 figures in federal government or Big Pharm areas, but I've also been told that they make nothing at all so I was jut wondering if it was an experience/employment factor or if PhD's make less regardless.

Fencer is right. If you're reasonably good at what you do, you should always at least have a post-doc/assistant scientist position which will pay as low as $50k/year. If you're good and you establish yourself, you can get into the mid-100k range in today's money unless you're exceptionally lucky and talented.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to make decent money don't do a PhD. It's pretty simple.

It depends on what you actually do. Staff Scientists can come in the $60s-$100s. If you end up as a director of your section it can be more- $150-$200K. If you are CTO/CSO, or CEO... sky's the limit. But those are also administrative posts.

What's "decent money" ? It's all relative.

Less than 100k combined salary makes it pretty hard to have the house in a decent school district, send the kid to college, have a semblance of leisure, and enjoy a decent retirement. So I'd draw the line right about there?